Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Strange 357 brass

Strange 357 brass

Don't know where else to put this, seems we don't have a dedicated forum for reloading questions and such.

Let me begin by saying I'm a proud scrounger. Every trip to the local desert is considered a success if I come home with more brass than when I started.

Just got through this evening sorting through my last two hauls and came across some strange looking 357 Magnum brass.

I'd like your opinions please. I'm not going to reload it and I haven't gotten a chance to run it across the RCBS Case Comparator.

I'll apologize for my poor photography skills up front.

If you can tell from the photos they appear to be badly expanded and the primers look like they are a little back out and swollen. I'm thinking too big of chambers?Attachment 314322Attachment 314323Attachment 314324Attachment 314322Attachment 314323Attachment 314324Attachment 314322Attachment 314323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	357-1.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	314325Click image for larger version. 

Name:	357-2.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	314326
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

My buddy has a Rossi 92 in 357 Magnum, and the brass looks like that because of what could only be considered a feed ramp that has been cut into the chamber. His is so bad with magnum brass that it won't completely resize. 38 Special brass doesnt do it as its lower pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    My buddy has a Rossi 92 in 357 Magnum, and the brass looks like that because of what could only be considered a feed ramp that has been cut into the chamber. His is so bad with magnum brass that it won't completely resize. 38 Special brass doesnt do it as its lower pressure.
    Interesting, I hadn't thought about that at all. I'm guessing you are on the money with your observation Bazoo.

My first instinct was "too large of a chamber(s)" on a revolver but this makes more sense as the observable damage is at the base of the case. I'm assuming this would cause excessive headspace as well which would explain why some of the primers have backed out a bit.
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Could be hot loads from the factory, it does happen. I have some .308 factory ammo that chambers easily and shoots well, but has extremely sticky extraction and flattened primers.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    If those cases resize without incident, I'D probably try reloading them with a load that is between .38 Spl. +P and starting .357 Mag. loads. That should provide enough pressure to provoke any likely "misbehaviour" from the brass, but remain low enough in pressure that a .357 revolver would easily contain any mischief of which the brass & load is capable.
    I don't think it has to do with your photographic skills, but I'M not seeing anything in the primers that I find of concern.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm inclined to think it was fired in a rifle chamber. If they were .45 Colt I'd have no doubt. Some of the pistol caliber long guns have yuge chambers.

Primers being slightly backed out is an indicator that the case grabbed the chamber good and tight, which can be an indicator of headspace, all normal.

What's weird about them is that little bit of metal that has flowed into a ridge opposite of the direction the firing pin is offset.

Boolit Master

That bulge at the base might be tough to chamber in another 357.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    That bulge at the base might be tough to chamber in another 357.
    That was my thought. Resize the case and see if it chambers in your gun. If it does you should be good to go. If it doesn't then toss them.

I wouldn't worry too much about the primer as that is dependent upon what it was last fired in and the condition of the firing pin bushing in that gun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    That was my thought. Resize the case and see if it chambers in your gun. If it does you should be good to go.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the primer as that is dependent upon what it was last fired in and the condition of the firing pin bushing in that gun.
    You can always try de-priming a few of the cases before resizing. If the spent primers fall out with minimal effort the excess bulge may be a moot issue.

Boolit Master
    The cases look like the case mouth is longer on one side? It also looks like they have bulged in the web. They don’t look right, I’d toss them, I’m also a brass scrounged & if a case looks funny to me I toss it.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Master
    My Coonan does that to some of the brass. I would say those cases were most likely fired from something with a feed ramp.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a S/W 40 cal pistol fired brass has that bulge at the base of the case ,I think some had issues with the early model Glocks doing the same from a unsupported chamber and feed ramp.