Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How bad is it in reality????

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Did he smoke before or after they started adding all kinds of chemicals to the tobacco? I don't think pure tobacco is all that bad(not healthy but not super bad either) ocmpared to what is added to a modern cancer stick..

"Reconstituted tobacco, referred to as “sheet,” is a major ingredient in modern cigarettes; sheet is manufactured from recycled stems, stalks, scraps, collected dust, and floor sweepings.7 Those materials are ground up, nicotine is extracted from them, and chemicals, fillers, glue, and other agents are added to the slurry. The sheet is then pressed out and puffed, with the previously extracted nicotine sprayed onto it, and ground into tiny curls before being incorporated into cigarettes at the desired level.7 Tobacco companies have studied nicotine extracts as a method to augment nicotine levels in cigarettes.8–14"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2040350/
    Well, he started smoking in 1918 and quit around 1978 or so. I expect the early cigs were straight tobacco and the later ones had chemicals added.

My point is there will always be individuals who can tolerate conditions that either kill or sicken other people sooner than later. We all live until we die but it's that time span in-between that be pretty painful.

Boolit Grand Master
    At work we had to get blood test every year.
    Never tested high for anything.
    Even if I was casting once a week.
    We still had asbestos in the brake lining and clutches.
    Had asbestos lined hot water pipes, and A/C cooling pipes.
    In the beginning we never had any mask or special suits.
    Parents these days are setting up their kid to fail as they get older.
    I'm sure all the chemical they put into all foods are NOT good for us.
    but gooberment said it's all safe.
    And gooberment wouldn't lie to us.
    When still working, I was sent to a class about stress and health.
    Very interesting.
    A study was done on food/stress/health in different countries.
    Here we eat less meats, less alcohol, more healthy foods.
    Also exercise more than other countries.
    In Germany, they eat meats at every meal, alcohol at every meal, lots of cheese, and don't exercise much.
    But they are way healthier than we are.
    The compared the stress levels and found the Germans, as a whole, had almost no stress.
    Couldn't say the same for us.
    They didn't want to, but concluded that stress, and not diet, was the leading factor in poor health.
    Our gooberment and insurance companies don't want us to know the stress is more a factor in health than diet.
    Imagine all the claims for health problems due to stress there would be.
    just ranting again, sorry

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’m glad you are doing well. The important thing you didn’t do was smoke. Chances are you wouldn’t be feeling so good if you had.

Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    One wonders if fear could be a tool in controlling the goobermint?
    Yes, fear trading is the most profitable business.
    Viam supervadet vadens.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Vintage 1960, all original parts but some are held together with titanium now LOL
    Amish kids What they didn’t eat was commercially preserved foods.
    The advances in food, medicine and hygiene that make our lives so easy and enjoyable come at a cost.

Me 1950 vintage, all original parts, a few removed.... None added.... Kids today do not have the opportunity to build immunity !
    Playground is padded, can't play outside, stay away from sick kids, can't be out alone, can't explore nature, guns and hunting is bad, strangers are bad, life in somewhat of a bubble ??? Only know book learning, no actual experience in the real world. Right and Wrong are foren concepts.
    Then people wonder why the gangs are razing the younger generation ??

Moderator Emeritus

Kids don't know the fun of riding bikes they built from the dumps behind the mosquito spray truck, or drinking from hoses, eating fruits right from the tree or berries from the bushes, eating sandwiches with grease still on your hand or spraying 32 coats of laquer paint on a camaro with no mask and spitting out red paint for a week. Come to think of it, how did we survive? We didn't coddle our bodies which is why most of us don't move well nowadays and are in pain every day. Oh well, wouldn't change a thing.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll be 67 next month.
    besides being a little overweight, and having gout.
    I'm doing good.
    Really need to do more walking for exercise and try to eat less, but better than many younger people I know.
    I'm thinking it was all those years of "immunizing" myself when I was younger.

Boolit Master
    You will be fine, one day.

Now 65. At 31yo I had a stoke, later around 48yo heart attack, then 7 stents, then 5 valve bypass using my own leg vein. Numerous joint and other issues. Overweight, gout. I still cut grass, handsaw some and ax cut wood and trees. Climb ladders and trees, like a fool I might add. I am now very slow and deliberate.

I did what I wanted. Tasted every brand and type of alcohol, been a soldier with 2 tours in Germany. For 5 years spat out burned zinc smoke from plasma cutting along with metal primer from the paint booth area. I smoked for 10 years, chewed days work and cannonball. If I could remember I would could surely have cheated death a dozen times.

Maybe Grannie was right. She was a tough and loving woman to be with. She always said miserable folks never die, they just remain miserable. She was 2 months short of 100 when she passed. I know where my attitude comes from too.

Jim
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Grand Master
    I remember back in science class, everyone played with the mercury.
    Even the teachers put it in their hands to show what it could do.
    These days a thermometer breaks open and Haz-mat is called, they shut down the whole area, kick everyone out for days, and have everyone tested.
    Plus it's big news.
    It has happened a few times here.
    I just laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
    A kid outside playing builds up an immunity to different things. Most kids today live in too sterile an environment, they do not get a chance to build immunity's.
    My siblings and I used to play football in the sewer. The funniest thing we ever did was let a nerf ball roll into the leach field and get soaking wet. Splash out there to get it and without wringing it out, throw it at your brother or a buddy and let it splash all over him as he tries to catch it in front of his face! They learned real fast to just duck out of the way and not let it hit them!

Fun times.

Played football in the cow pastures and if you tackled someone in a gooshy cow pie, you got extra accolades and cheering.

Sadly, we all got HEP A but aside from that, I rarely get very sick with anything.

By the same token, I know people whose parents wouldn't even let them crawl on the floor, much less play outside. Those kids are very sickly adults and catch every bug that comes around.

Anecdotal, I know, but story of my life, just the same.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Exactly! The trouble with trying to brag about longevity comes when we consider the folks who are already dead. My grandfather smoked Camel cigarettes (no filter) from the age of 16 until he was about 80 years old. He finally quit because my mother and grandmother were pestering him - then he died at 94 from a broken hip. He was one of those outliers who apparently was never affected by cigarettes - but how many more are in the graveyard from sucking on cancer sticks?
    Same story with my grandfather. Smoked from age 7 to age 77, if I recall correctly. Got diagnosed with lung cancer three months before he died and he was embarrassed that he was in the hospital.

Tough guy.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Moderator Emeritus

I spent a couple of years in a nation that had mostly lead pipes. There were some conditions of lazy eye that some folks thought were due to lead. Others thought they were inherited. It had everything from beautiful people to intelligent thinkers with no evidence that lead had harmed them in any way.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Kids grow better in dirt.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I spent a couple of years in a nation that had mostly lead pipes. There were some conditions of lazy eye that some folks thought were due to lead. Others thought they were inherited. It had everything from beautiful people to intelligent thinkers with no evidence that lead had harmed them in any way.
    Long as the water supply isn't acidic lead pipes are fine. Lead doesn't leech in neutral or basic water. Why a human can carry around bullet fragments for years with no ill effects.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fhxfhxhj.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	314713
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    I will be 84 Tuesday just had a heart cath and nurse said you are the healthiest 84 year old we have seen , and I still have al my teeth and have a full head of black hair. Athe stuff that will kill and cause cancer I have done or been exposed to. You ever think we have beed lied to for $$$$$$!
    Frank G.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12