WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: The cost of copper

Boolit Master

The cost of copper

There is an alarm being raised about a copper shortage in the next decade. Demand for copper is rising but production is stagnated. An increase in price is needed to stimulate increased production but there is expected to be a lag between price rise and production increase leading to a shortage.

Just something to keep one's eye on.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

I got $3 a pound today for #2 copper at the scrap yard. Price is up.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Thieves recently posed as "workmen" complete with high vis work clothes in order to steel 320 yards of copper wire supplying light poles around a sports oval.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

expect to see old copper mines to be reopened as soon as Biden is out of office. Yerrington Nevada immediately comes to my mind as an example.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Moderator Emeritus

There is a large stash of Copper in the ground in Northern MN, More than we will ever need.

The [1979] study also found that the ore deposits of the region contained an estimated $50 billion of minerals and that a copper-nickel industry in the region could create over 2,000 new jobs.
    that is $50 Billion in 1979 dollars
    https://www.lrl.mn.gov/guides/guides?issue=coppernickel
    >>>>>>>>

But as long as the Dems run this State, as well as the White House, it will stay in the ground.

Here is a quote from an AP article from 3 months ago,
    "PolyMet mine in Minnesota becomes NewRange Copper Nickel"

That project remains on hold because three key permits, which were issued over four years ago, are still tied up in challenges in courts and regulatory agencies. Because of those, NewRange still isn’t projecting a date for major construction to begin. Environmentalists have opposed the mine because the copper and nickel in the Duluth Complex are bound up in sulfide minerals that can leach sulfuric acid when exposed to water and air. For that reason, President Joe Biden’s administration is trying to kill another proposed mine nearby, Twin Metals near Ely, which sits in a watershed that flows into the pristine Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. While the administration last year committed itself to expanding domestic sources of critical minerals for electric vehicles and renewable energy, it says the Boundary Waters merit special protections
    https://apnews.com/article/teck-reso...d30e1cc5d2cdd4
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I tried to upload but no soap....go to https://aheadoftheherd.com/copper-con/ for an interesting take.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Grand Master
    How can I tell what type of copper I have????
    Probably going to be re-roofing soon and going to replace the solar water heater.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Probably going to be re-roofing soon and going to replace the solar water heater.
    #1 copper will be not shiny bright, but clean of verdigris and other substances, #2 copper will have verdigris (the green oxidation) and or tar/dirt from other roofing materials.

I have a few hundred pounds of scrap copper in the garage, was saving it for my retirement party. I think I will wait and see just how high scrap copper will go before I make a trip to the scrap yard.

Boolit Master
    The forecast shortage is dependent on the development of electric cars. Theoretically, this will become the primary market driver for most of the copper consumption.

I find it interesting that no less an industry leader than Toyota has decided not to pursue 100% electric in the foreseeable future. They don’t believe the infrastructure will be created in a timely fashion, so they are going with hybrid designs.

It should be either more or less pure Copper, or Brass (An alloy of Copper and .
    You can get a real good idea what you have just by the color.

If the replacement is different, it won't be a big deal for the connections no matter what the old one is made from.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    Any idea what kind of copper is used in solar water heaters????
    Don't want to go through all the work for just a few penny's worth of copper.

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    expect to see old copper mines to be reopened as soon as Biden is out of office. Yerrington Nevada immediately comes to my mind as an example.
    Wilson Ranch fire balloon
    During World War II, one of many Japanese Fu-Go balloon bombs launched at the United States landed on the Wilson Ranch near Yerington.[10] The ranchers, not knowing what it was, attempted to notify the authorities by mail, but did not receive a response until after they cut it up and used it as a hay tarp.[11]

Any idea what kind of copper is used in solar water heaters????
    Don't want to go through all the work for just a few penny's worth of copper.
    Take it to the scrap yard and ask them what you have before you spend a lot of time and energy cutting it up.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Apparently there’s a lot of copper on the sea floor. It comes from thermal vents near undersea spreading of the earth’s crust. Some of the big players are now starting to look into undersea mining.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Apparently there’s a lot of copper on the sea floor. It comes from thermal vents near undersea spreading of the earth’s crust.
    Copper and several other minerals. The big problem is that they are at incredible depths.
    Many of our above ground mines were once deep sea vents in pre-historic times.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides