RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ballard #6 Scheutzen-Schoyen

Ballard #6 Scheutzen-Schoyen

Some pictures of the George C. Schoyen Ballard #6 I was fortunate to buy at the CGCA show last weekend.

.32-40 heavy 32" barrel, with the Schoyen browned finish. Stocks and receiver are factory original, but the forearm was done by Henry Simmons, Schoyen's stock maker, to fit the Schoyen barrel and match the buttstock.
    I'll have to build a palm rest to fit the dovetail base built into the barrel.

Boolit Master

That is a beauty. Congratulations!
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Sublime, Vall. Simply sublime.

Super! Was that the show in Colorado?

Boolit Master

.32-40. . .I'm not liking you very much right now.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Here we go with the uncontrollable drooling, again!
    I am kinda like Bigslug right now!

Boolit Grand Master

Exquisite rifle!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master
    Dang it Vall, you made me drool all over my iPad again. It’s a good thing it has a water resistant case! Should we expect a range report for this one? It looks like a keeper to me.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Thanks guys!
    This was one of those "bucket list" guns for me. I've got other Schoyens, and other #6 Ballards, but none are engraved, so this is pretty special to me.
    Yes this was the CGCA show and at Greeley, Co. now. They told me that barring any trouble it will stay at Greeley as long as they exist. A nice new building, and Greeley has a lot of motels and good restaurants to choose from.
    After saving for 20 months since we last attended the CGCA show, I'd have been disappointed if I didn't find something to love! Only 12 months until the next show, so going to have to start saving soon again!

I have a friend that attended that show too. Got a call to come over and check out the treasure he bought home. Super Stuhl made Jaeger rifle. He described the goods there. Sounded like all the good stuff was there!

Congratulations ! That is beautiful.

Yes, there's no shortage of high end guns, and still some bargains too. One of my friends got a minty Borchardt military rifle that looked almost new. Another got what he called a "Lee-Martini" rifle that looks similar to a Martini, but with an exposed hammer! Supposedly only 43 made. The 3rd guy in our group got a very nice Hepburn chambered in .32-20, which I think is a super cartridge!

Boolit Master
    Congrats on your find, I am envious to say the least. Thanks for sharing the pics as well.

Dug through my misc. scheutzen parts too see if I could find something suitable to build a palmrest from for the #6 Ballard. I found some old knurled knobs from Canjar palmrest, and a piece of 3/8" threaded rod that fit the hole in the Schoyen forearm perfectly. Drilled out the knurled knobs to the larger 3/8" NF thread, and made a base to fit the dovetail in the barrel, and D&T it also for the 3/8" NF thread.
    Dug out some walnut scrap that appeared to be a very close color, and began shaping and making it fit my left hand. Then after some sanding, I stained it darker, and applied about 8 coats of Wipe On Poly. I wet sanded the wood with 1000 grit after it cured well, and then rubbed in Minn Wax paste and buffed it, to give it some age to match the stocks.
    It feels great, and is just the right height for my arms, and a nice fit in my hand.

Boolit Master
    that would be the Lee 1875 Trials gun......the tipping block action works off a large hammer spur ......apparently the spur had be hit pretty hard ,and quickly hurt the hand .

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    that would be the Lee 1875 Trials gun......the tipping block action works off a large hammer spur ......apparently the spur had be hit pretty hard ,and quickly hurt the hand .
    Yes, that's the one! He said there were less than 50 made? Something like 43 if I recall right?