Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: rossi 357 lever

Boolit Bub

rossi 357 lever

I have an older rossi puma 357 lever action that is supposed to take 12 rounds but i cant get more than 6 loaded in it.Any suggestions as to what the problem can be?

Vendor Sponsor

Are you certain its 12 .357? Could it be 12 .38 special maybe?

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lakehouse2012; 05-23-2023 at 12:38 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    What length is the magazine tube?
    Does it have a dent/crimp in it?
    Does it have a limiting plug in it?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

A dent in the magazine tube will cause this. If it's always been this way, and you've never taken the magazine apart, its possible it has a plug in it to reduce its magazine capacity.

Boolit Master

I just checked mine. The 20 inch held 10 and the 24 inch held 12.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    And the 16 inch holds 8 per https://rossiusa.com/rifles/lever-ac...ck-oxide-16-in

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Did someone put a plug in the tube so it would only hold 6?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    I have had several leverguns that had so much gunk in the mag that the follower would not travel the full length and limited capacity. Might want remove the mag plug and see whats inside the magazine tube. A bronze 45 caliber brush on a cleaning rod (I attached mine to my electric drill) will clean lots of stuff out.

Boolit Bub
    I dont know who had this gun before me but when i removed the long spring there was nothing else in the tube.How in the world did i even get to load 6 and shoot them without that plug.No i did not drop it or lose it when i pulled the spring, there was no plug,weird since now when i put the spring back in the spring went all the way to the loading area and got stuck.

Boolit Master
    The very first lever gun I bought, a Rossi 92 in.357, refused to load even ONE cartridge. I couldn't even get the cartridge past the loading gate. I removed the screw and took the spring out, but the follower was STUCK. brand new RIFLE. I used a stiff piece of wire down through the loading gate loading gate and was able to free up that follower. A close inspection revealed the magazine tube was FULL of crud and the follower was a little rough around the edges. A good cleaning of the magazine and a little sand paper to smooth out the follower and we were in business.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pahermit View Post
    I dont know who had this gun before me but when i removed the long spring there was nothing else in the tube.How in the world did i even get to load 6 and shoot them without that plug.No i did not drop it or lose it when i pulled the spring, there was no plug,weird since now when i put the spring back in the spring went all the way to the loading area and got stuck.
    When you get that magazine tube sorted out it’s going to be a lot of fun.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Master
    I have an older Rossi in .357. It was rough to load, but there are a few good videos on Youtube that will show you how to smooth it up. It is worth the effort. Mine now loads and shoots .357 and .38 spl. flawlessly and ejects the brass at my feet.
    Last edited by AZ Pete; 06-14-2023 at 11:10 PM. Reason: sp
    NRA Endowment Life Member

My buddies rossi ejects the brass into low earth orbit...

Moderator Emeritus

Steves gunz DVD is your friend. When you have the spring out, run half a can of non cloriniated break cleaner down it, then follow with spray rem oil. Do this over a lined garbage can in your garage or outside.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have to say, Rossi did a great job on my 2022 example. Other than the stiff trigger spring I can't think of a single thing I don't like about it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Mold
    Ditto on mine, bought 2 months ago. For $640 its a really wrll made little gun. I named it ElCheapo Guzman. Its the little 16" 357 and mine will eat 10 357's loaded with 358156's and yes, it feeds all 10 just perfectly. I did cut the mag spring but not that much, maybe 4" longer than the tube.
    Id almost guarentee that Ive already put over 600 rounds through it. Its just a blast to use. Compared to my 20" oct Henry BB in 44mag this thing is a featherweight and that makes it even more fun.
    Yes, get that thing sorted out and youll love it even more. I know Im lookin to get another. Im a big bore fanatic si want the 44 next.