Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataPBcastcoInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 questions

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Knarley;5581424]
    The weight/ volume is different from brand to brand.
    yep -----not a huge difference though -- and can be unrelated to the energy of the powder
    (Wano weighs heavy compared to Goex or Swiss - but it shoots light = lower energy per grains)

The size of the kernels, F FF FFFG, is different from brand to brand.
    definitely ---- does it matter ?

I would suspect even from batch to batch will differ.
    that too - but again only small difference

By the time you get it figured out, you'll have to start again.
    some fellers like to spend their lives figuring stuff out - others of us just like to go shoot!

Boolit Master
    Weigh charges for precision and measure them for convenience.

I load way more ammo with measured charges than I do with weighed charges, but I check my measures with a scale. Funny thing, some benchrest shooters use powder measures and not a scale.

Measured charges are almost always good enough.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Weigh charges for precision and measure them for convenience.

I load way more ammo with measured charges than I do with weighed charges, but I check my measures with a scale. Funny thing, some benchrest shooters use powder measures and not a scale.

Measured charges are almost always good enough.

Tim
    I was playing with a rotary measure and ungraphited blackpowder last night - after about twenty charges I got satisfactory consistency but it takes a lot more attention to technique than does smokeless powder - the black was running about + or - 4/10th grain, - smokeless ? about half that and easier to get ------ungraphited black makes the measure thing more difficult for sure.
    Last edited by indian joe; 05-27-2023 at 07:47 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I was playing with a rotary measure and ungraphited blackpowder last night - after about twenty charges I got satisfactory consistency but it takes a lot more attention to technique than does smokeless powder - the black was running about + or - 4/10th grain, - smokeless ? about half that and easier to get ------ungraphited black makes the measure thing more difficult for sure.

What measure were you using?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJames170 View Post
    What measure were you using?
    green one (Redding) cast iron body - looks to have a stainless drum - I replaced the (broken) plastic outlet piece with brass and added an 8 inch drop tube spout

Loading black powder, a couple /10's don't change the loads like smokeless does.

I use my old Redding for just busting the bowling pin hanging at 200 yards and even at the gong shoots when I have to reload at those matches when I run out of shells. This old powder drop has served me well since the maybe late 50's and it's well worn. It will drop very consistent within 2/10's if used properly.
    But when I load for a match I will drop it in a pan and weigh the drop and I will sprinkle some like a pinch of salt with my fingers or take a pinch out of the pan it's like the blanky thing this little guy uses for security Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linus_van_Pelt.gif 
Views:	31 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	314493

As far as the burn rate question.
    Black has a burn rate it's just very fast and this is why they rate it as an explosive. The smaller and thinner the you spread it the slower it burns like a fuse. You pile it or confine it, it will blow. The larger the granulation the slower that burn rate
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3343.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	314492

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    Loading black powder, a couple /10's don't change the loads like smokeless does.

I use my old Redding for just busting the bowling pin hanging at 200 yards and even at the gong shoots when I have to reload at those matches when I run out of shells. This old powder drop has served me well since the maybe late 50's and it's well worn. It will drop very consistent within 2/10's if used properly.
    But when I load for a match I will drop it in a pan and weigh the drop and I will sprinkle some like a pinch of salt with my fingers or take a pinch out of the pan it's like the blanky thing this little guy uses for security Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linus_van_Pelt.gif 
Views:	31 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	314493

As far as the burn rate question.
    Black has a burn rate it's just very fast and this is why they rate it as an explosive. The smaller and thinner the you spread it the slower it burns like a fuse. You pile it or confine it, it will blow. The larger the granulation the slower that burn rate
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3343.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	314492
    mine is later model (1980's at a guess) got the metering adjustment like a micrometer knob through the drum front to back - still playing with this (was given to me) --dunno that it will be any faster -- these plinker loads I just pour from a powder horn till the case is full up (homemade powder just compresses nice to load)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12