WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model 8 in .30 Remington likes the Lee C309-170F

Boolit Master

Model 8 in .30 Remington likes the Lee C309-170F

Did a function check yesterday with the Remington Model 8 with the Lee boolit, which gas-checked, powder-coated and sized .309 runs 179 grains with my alloy. I loaded three-shot samples in Graf .30 Remington brass of 22, 22.5, 23 and 23.5 grains of AA5744. All fed flawlessly, with the rifle liking 22.5 and especially 23.5 grains, the latter giving a 3/4-inch group at 50 yards with open sights. I failed to bring the chronograph, but that last load should have been running somewhere just past 2,000 fps -- plenty good for deer and hogs.
    The rifle was made at Ilion in February of 1923. Not bad for a century-old rifle. The old girl is going to make someone happy!
    Last edited by Abert Rim; 05-23-2023 at 08:17 AM.

Nice!

AND the brass land neatly nearby, don’t they?
    The Remington m8 and m81 are among the neatest rifles ever made in my opinion.
    Try some 3031 in it if you get a chance.
    I should have kept my last one(m8 .30 Rem)- but with a Krag and a 94 Winchester, my iron sight hunting guns are covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Mine is a Model 81 in 300 Savage caliber. With Mihec's 30 Sil bullet it's a one gun at 100 yards. Full loads not Unique plinkers. The rifle has a pretty good kick to it especially with the steel buttplate. Real find rifles.

Boolit Master
    I have one in .35 Rem. The best description I've read on shooting the Model 8 was on this forum a few years ago. Whoever the poster was said it was like shooting a pogo stick.

Boolit Master
    That is an apt description. I have had them in .30, .32 and .35 Remington and the recoil impulse reminds of the first time I shot a friend's old Browning Auto 5 12-gauge with duck loads in high school about 1970. It greets you and then it greets you again.
    This .30 is a nice rifle, but I am going to find it a good home becasue I have finally found an 8 in .25 Remington that I could afford.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    That is an apt description. I have had them in .30, .32 and .35 Remington and the recoil impulse reminds of the first time I shot a friend's old Browning Auto 5 12-gauge with duck loads in high school about 1970. It greets you and then it greets you again.
    This .30 is a nice rifle, but I am going to find it a good home becasue I have finally found an 8 in .25 Remington that I could afford.
    The 300 Savage doesn't feel like a pogo stick, feel like a shoulder hurter! The 300 Savage is much more powerful then those other calibers.

Boolit Master
    I have a Remington Model 11 which is basically the same shotgun as the Browning Auto 5 (but less expensive).
    So, you don't collect the Model 8s?

Moderator Emeritus

I once had an opportunity to purchase a model 8 in .25 Rem but passed -- more on unavailability of brass than it's price-tag. Instead, I got two 8's which make yours kind of new -- both manufactured sixteen years (1907) before yours. Both bearing serial numbers in the very low seven thousand range (7,0xx and 7,4xx) one is in .30 Remington -- as is yours -- and bears a nice Redfield receiver sight. The other is plain-Jane -- as manufactured -- in .32 Remington.
    I have only shot my cast lead bullets in both, and my preferred powder is IMR3031 -- and, rather mild loadings. (I used the 2nd from bottom in a Lyman manual).
    I, too, note -- and LOVE -- their almost unique recoil. I told my sons the first lets you know you pulled the trigger -- with the following that the bullet left the barrel. (Fun, only -- but it did put on a smile the 1st, 2nd, and possibly (???) the 3rd time?)
    If it were me, I'd buy the .25 Rem -- but I'd sure have the MOST difficult time in parting with any Model 8, 81, etc. -- if there was any true "classic" -- this be them.
    geo

Boolit Master
    Here's a good video on the Model 8. He even teaches you how to say "Nevada" properly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQxCTTq_Gwg

Boolit Master
    Old Mixup has a lot of fun making his videos. I have also had Model 8s in .32 and .35 -- the .35 being about as old as the one in the Youtube. I may have to hold onto the .30, as the .25 has barrel issues.

Boolit Master
    He also has a video on the disassembly (and assembly) of the Model 8. Helped me alot.

Boolit Master

Did a function check yesterday with the Remington Model 8 with the Lee boolit, which gas-checked, powder-coated and sized .309 runs 179 grains with my alloy. I loaded three-shot samples in Graf .30 Remington brass of 22, 22.5, 23 and 23.5 grains of AA5744. All fed flawlessly, with the rifle liking 22.5 and especially 23.5 grains, the latter giving a 3/4-inch group at 50 yards with open sights. I failed to bring the chronograph, but that last load should have been running somewhere just past 2,000 fps -- plenty good for deer and hogs.
    The rifle was made at Ilion in February of 1923. Not bad for a century-old rifle. The old girl is going to make someone happy!
    Feed it lots of what it likes. It will keep it and you happy.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    I have always wanted one, but they are expensive, brass is hard to obtain now days, and often the rifles up for sale are broken needing parts or something.

Boolit Master

I had one years ago in 32. It kept jamming. Seemed no cure so down the road it went. I had a huge supple of brass as well. Wish I had it back.

Boolit Buddy

Rim: Liked your info on the Lee .309 179 grain cast boolit. I have a Model 81 in 30 Remington. Ground up a cutter to turn all my 30-30 Winchester brass into 30 Remington. 30 Remington brass is unobtanium!!! Been shooting jacketed 150gr soft points. Think I will try your recipe for cast boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    My 32 loves a 180 cast FN boolit.
    No point in downgrading it's performance with some of those funny copper colored things!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    Rim: Liked your info on the Lee .309 179 grain cast boolit. I have a Model 81 in 30 Remington. Ground up a cutter to turn all my 30-30 Winchester brass into 30 Remington. 30 Remington brass is unobtanium!!! Been shooting jacketed 150gr soft points. Think I will try your recipe for cast boolits.
    Rockindaddy -- Quality Cartridge Company produces and regularly sells brass for the Model 8, 81, 14, 141, etc. https://qual-cart.com/300%20cal.htm The "hitch" is they (understandably) wait until they have sufficient back-log -- I needed wait one years and one-half for my order to be fulfilled -- but it was well worth the wait!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quality.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	314728
    That they indicate "call" -- they most likely have some still in stock (???). Good luck.
    geo

Boolit Buddy

George: Thanks for the information on brass. I must have 1200 empty 30-30 cases. So far I have converted around 300 to 30 Remington. They work good! Just wish the gun had a bigger magazine!

Boolit Buddy
    'bout two years back I rescued a basket case model 14 pump gun in .32 r..........actually turned out rather well but I still have to do some bore lapping to reduce the gravel surfaced bore....as stated in this thread brass can be problematic but I have purchased new stuff from Graf's in that caliber...........a single pass thru ones loading die would get either the .25 or .30. Price was around 50 bucks for that many ctgs.
    Incidentally I picked up an Arsenal mould that drops WW at 170....conformation is similar to the Lyman 31141, but at .321 dia.......................shoots around an inch at fifty even with that bore as is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast