WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long barrel 22lr pistol

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 30calflash View Post
    10" contender isn't terrible in size. Mine is an octagon so the weight isnt bad.

8 3/8" Smith will fit a large frame shoulder rig, but loosely. Don't do a lot of jumping or wear a jacket over it and it's doable.
    I kind of suspected it would work, but the only shoulder rig I have found at anywhere near a decent price is left handed, and looks to be for a six inch barrel. Maybe I'll make my own.

Robert

Boolit Master

I have a 91/2" ruger that I carry as a cross draw that is a joy to shoot.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

NR-9 is the Ruger catalog designation for the blue Super Single-Six with a 9 1/2" bbl.
    The old 3-screw Single-Six with a drift adj. rear sight worked great for me as a kid back the 1960's. Later I switched to a MK678 MKII.
    That's the Semi-Auto .22LR, 6 7/8" bbl with fully adjustable rear sight with under cut front.
    Either one was light enough to rear on my pants belt, so the holster was belted high and slightly to the rear. That method of carry worked for me for over 30yrs.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Mold
    jes got a Ruger Wrangler wid 7.5" barrel in BLACK...put on a set of orphan Single Six grips...feels good in hand..."hangs" right to shoot....tree rats best be well hidden or very HIGH in their tree...I thhink it is a good piece for the price.

REDD

My days of hunting squirrels with a handgun are over. At age 83 (soon to be 84) I can't look upward due to neck surgery and my eyes are not as sharp as they were. My High Standard Supermatic with 7.5" bbl. is scary accurate, but I never took it hunting due to the size ( shoulder holster would solve that problem but would need to be a custom deal). So, my MKII Ruger with a 5.25" heavy taper bbl. did the job back when My neck & eyes would permit (my 4 5/8" light taper before they started putting MK on them did OK before the 5.25"). Gil Hebard sold those 5.25" heavy tapered bbl. Rugers for a short while & in my opinion is/was the perfect size.

I have a Flap hip holster for a Contender 10" with a scope, a bit bulky, but intended for hunting not fast draw. I had it built by Gun Glove of Tampa, FL.

Henry, that getting old and having disk problems in the neck really sucks.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master
    The 10" contender I shot was the most accurate 22 I have ever shot. Belonged to a Contender-junkie shooting pal who must have had a half dozen frames and lord only knows how many barrels. Shooting group after group of 1" groups at 25 yards with Remington target ammo was a real eye opener, but two daughters and a wife left little room in the budget for toys. Now, I'd be unable to duplicate that--sights have gotten blurry, but I'd still buy one if I found it cheap. A red dot or scope might make all the difference.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Don't overlook some of the h and r revolvers out there....occasionally one will show up at a lgs for a decent price, and they frequently shoot surprisingly well. Some of the older models were ridiculously light, but still good guns.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Buddy
    For a long barrel, I have a High Standard Longhorn with 9 1/2” barrel. It is very easy to shoot well.

Boolit Bub
    I had a Ruger SS in .32 with a 9 1/2" barrel, I used it for squirrel and rabbit hunting. It shot like a rifle, but I sent it back to Ruger and had them replace the barrel with a 4 5/8", I was surprised that they sent the original barrel back with the revolver, sure made it easier to carry. Good Luck Chris

Boolit Buddy
    As others have stated, a 10'" Contender in 22 LR. Either match or standard, with match being my 1st choice. With a T/C 2.5-7X 28mm, EER, Fine Duplex, T/C Rail Mount, Illuminated reticle scope on top, took a lot of game with it. Pop, and another one down...

45_Colt

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't part with my 10"bbl Ruger MkII; I have pretty strong hands & arms, so I don't find the balance objectionable.
    I /really/ like how stable the muzzle is.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gfpectrtv0...6224a.jpg?dl=0

Boolit Master

S&W model 17 is a beautiful pistol and plenty accurate with an 8 3/8" barrel. Should have kept mine.

Boolit Mold
    My S&W Model 17 has an 8-3/8" barrel and that's plenty long.

Boolit Mold
    High standard supermatic trouphy 7 1/4” barrel. Most accurate and balanced pistol I ever shot.
    Worth the investment, and won’t devalue.

One thing to keep in mind about long-barreled handguns is, the bullet is in the bore for a much longer time. This means that follow-through becomes much more critical. That can offset the advantage of the extra sight radius.

Boolit Buddy

I too, have a Ruger Mark II with a 10" bull barrel. I have fired a gazillion rounds through it, and it seems to be as accurate as the day it was born (late 80's). I have a Volquartzen rear sight, that imitates a Bomar. You may be able to mount a scope or red dot also.

Boolit Buddy

Look for an old Stevens Tip-Down pistol. I had one years ago that was shot out. I sleeved it. Was a great shooter. Make a new 10" barrel for one.

Cool

My favorite long barreled .22 is this 8" Colt Trooper Mark III, it's very accurate and I still take it out on excursions

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trooper-MKIII_TBTorn-081521.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	323230

The very best hunting handun I have run across is the Merril or XL by RPM if you come across one. I did not mention it before because Jim Rock whom bought Merril then redesigned the Merrill to be the XL (40) passed and the company is no longer around. However the guns still pop up now and again. A 10" barrel sits back in the action spo the chamber is at the rear of the grip, so the handling and feel is more like an 6-8". These are my XLs and Merrill guns and barrels. Grip angle is 1911. The safety is silent and is a spring loaded thumb depressed safety. Lock time is only about a 1/8" movement striker, premium barrel. Single shot barrel, hinged, cock on opening. Lock is a spring loaded sliding block on top rear. Drilled and tapped for a flat scope base. The 32-20s all have a .308 barrel.

A bit spendy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0370.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12