Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much difference does 20 grains make

Boolit Buddy

How much difference does 20 grains make

I am planning on starting to cast for my M&P 2.0 chambered in 10mm auto. I would like a load capable of bear defense. Seems like many guys say 200 grain is the minimum. Lee only makes a 180 grain mold and I plan on starting there. But will I want to also get a 200 grain mold for my bear loads? According to the numbers a 180 grain bullet at 1250 carries more energy than a 200 at 1150. Seems to me a 180 cast at 15 bhn and traveling at 1250 should give me the straight line penetration that I would need.

Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    I am planning on starting to cast for my M&P 2.0 chambered in 10mm auto. I would like a load capable of bear defense. Seems like many guys say 200 grain is the minimum. Lee only makes a 180 grain mold and I plan on starting there. But will I want to also get a 200 grain mold for my bear loads? According to the numbers a 180 grain bullet at 1250 carries more energy than a 200 at 1150. Seems to me a 180 cast at 15 bhn and traveling at 1250 should give me the straight line penetration that I would need.
    I loaded up some .44 Mag loads a while back with what I thought was a 240 grain bullet and 9.2 grains of Titegroup. (This was the max load listed for the 240 grn. bullet.) Ended up that the bullet was a 250 Grain bullet. The load with the 240 grain bullet functioned fine. The load with the 250 grain bullet let the cases stuck in the cylinder. I had to drive the cases out with a squib rod. This was with a Ruger SRH so there was no damage to the revolver. Be careful when approaching max loads.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    You will need to prepare yourself for answers from those who have few firearms and shoot almost none to those that own more firearms than the US Army and shoot more than all the US Military put together and own almost no equipment to those that own thousands of dollars of equipment.
    Myself I would experiment to my own satisfaction to try to determine the answer. Energy ISN'T the only factor.
    In heavy bear loads offered by the custom ammo makers select 200 to 220 gr when they could load 180's just as easily and charge just as much money because it is custom ammo.
    Just be prepared for many answers.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 05-22-2023 at 08:01 AM.

Boolit Master
    1. Try to avoid bears.
    2. If a bear decides to eat you, penetration, rather than energy from a lighter & faster bullet, is your friend.
    3. No matter what load you choose, it must cycle reliably in your firearm.
    4. If you're going to be counting on a firearm to keep a bear from using one of your ribs as a toothpick, practice with it often so that you will be prepared if bad things happen.

The weight difference is more or less 10%.
    Here, we often see guys drive their self crazy by over thinking, and splitting hairs on this sort of thing.

I'd be working and thinking along the lines of my own skills of boolit placement/accuracy and reliability more so than
    the finer points of a 10% weight difference.

If that 10% difference for a 10mm is so critical---- get a bigger gun.
    Whatever a 10mm can do to a bear, a .454 Casull or .500 S&W can do better.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    180 or 200 grain, an IT DEPENDS question. With a bullet of the same nose shape and hardness, you SHOULD get a little more penetration with the 200 grain. At handgun velocities, expansion is not a consideration, realistically, probably not much difference. Have NOT shot any charging bears, but quite a few elk, antelope and deer: after a while, it does not matter much, kind of like 308/270/30-06/358 or 150/165/180/200 grain, small differences yes, operationally significant, not really. Make haste slowly,carefully. Practice, Practice, Practice.

Boolit Buddy
    Part of what attracts me to the 180 is my mentor has one that I can use. I think I will cast a couple hundred with his mold and start sending lead downrange

Boolit Master
    Part of what attracts me to the 180 is my mentor has one that I can use. I think I will cast a couple hundred with his mold and start sending lead downrange
    While sending that lead downrange try to develope some testing methods to test the bullet to see if it will do as you want it to do.
    Then try to get hold of some 200 gr bullets and try them.

For practice and plinking use whatever you like. Shoot a lot and get really comfortable with your pistol. But if you're really afraid of encountering a bear, some good stout factory loads like the full power Norma stuff would probably be a better idea. And since most people never even see a bear, let alone have to shoot at one, a box of ammo should last forever.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    For practice and plinking use whatever you like. Shoot a lot and get really comfortable with your pistol. But if you're really afraid of encountering a bear, some good stout factory loads like the full power Norma stuff would probably be a better idea. And since most people never even see a bear, let alone have to shoot at one, a box of ammo should last forever.
    What about a box of Underwood or Buffalo Bore?

Boolit Master
    You might want to weigh those Lee 180's. I have 200 gr Lee molds for 44 and 45 and they drop my alloy boolits at 213-216 gr. consistently.

Boolit Master
    There's data on the Alliant Website which launches a 180 gr. JHP at just under 1300 f/s from a 5" barrel (probably in a universal receiver, but anyway...) using Blue Dot as a propellant. Using a cast flat point, with higher lubricity, I would be surprised if you could not get somewhere near that from your S&W.
    Someone mentioned that penetration is your friend, around unfriendly bruins. I think this is right. So, firing your 180 gr. & 200 gr. handloads into one form or the other of penetration media and determining which drives deeper is important in the extreme. Whether you use ballistic gelatin or water-soaked newsprint, your medium may not exactly (perhaps not even closely) reflect its penetration performance in "agitated bear" medium, but one must start somewhere.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    People should remember that Speer used Wet Lap in testing their bullets years ago. Speer was always though pretty highly of in bullets.
    Kinda like using wet newsprint in a way.
    Old things become new when thought of by the younger generation.

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    What about a box of Underwood or Buffalo Bore?
    Sure, as long as they function 100% in that particular pistol.

ITs not about the small increase in energy but the add'l mass for penetration. I am a 195-200gr guy for shooting big things, but a 180gr wnfp @ 1250fps isnt bouncing off yogi. A 200gr/10mm wnfp @ 1200fps will penetrate more than a 400gr/404jeff soft point & that is quite a lot.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.32-20 9 and 3 jugs 1250fps.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	314355
    .32 caliber 130 grain at 1250 fps. Soft one stopped in three milk jugs, but the hard one did nine.

Name:	LBT 452230 LFN Jug Test.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	314356

230 grain .45 at 830 fps - also did nine.

Name:	9mm Ranch Dog Jug 9 recover 1.jpg 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	314358

Name:	9mm Ranch Dog Jug Stick 3.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	314359

135 grain 9mm at 1030 fps - it REALLY wanted to do ten, but plastic elasticity held it back.

These are all WFN profiles and something stupid-hard for the alloy in .45 and non-expanded .32; basically ACWW for the 9mm. Effectively six feet of water and 17 layers of jug plastic - 16 of those layers being the doubled boundaries. My thought is that if your Lee 180 grainer can duplicate this, you probably don't need a 200 grain mold.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Moderator Emeritus

How big are the bears you expect to see?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post

Name:	.32-20 9 and 3 jugs 1250fps.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	314355
    .32 caliber 130 grain at 1250 fps. Soft one stopped in three milk jugs, but the hard one did nine.

Name:	LBT 452230 LFN Jug Test.jpg 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	314356

230 grain .45 at 830 fps - also did nine.

Name:	9mm Ranch Dog Jug 9 recover 1.jpg 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	314358

Name:	9mm Ranch Dog Jug Stick 3.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	314359

135 grain 9mm at 1030 fps - it REALLY wanted to do ten, but plastic elasticity held it back.

These are all WFN profiles and something stupid-hard for the alloy in .45 and non-expanded .32; basically ACWW for the 9mm. Effectively six feet of water and 17 layers of jug plastic - 16 of those layers being the doubled boundaries. My thought is that if your Lee 180 grainer can duplicate this, you probably don't need a 200 grain mold.
    So SecDen with solids plays a roll as does nose width. So depending on nose width, the higher SD favors penetration. Why all your testing was about the same, though I am not a fan of water as a medium.
    9/147 = 167
    40/180 = 166
    40/200 = 184
    45/230 = 160
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe a slight thread hijack but not to far afield. I've been following this thread with a nagging question in the back of my head.

In .45 I have a 230 gr Keith mold that I've been using for 45 ACP and 45 Colt. Using Accurate No 5 I'm able to get either cartridge to approximately 950 fps (although the larger Colt case requires more powder than the ACP). So I keep asking myself "what's the difference between the two?" Same bullet, same velocity. The answer I keep getting is "nothing". The only difference is the launching platform. Both guns I'm using are able to handle more if I choose to push them; but the question then arises "what am I actually gaining by doing that?". I'm using Lyman #2 that I bought from Roto metals.

I'm in the FL panhandle right next to AL. A friend, just across the state line, has video of a black bear just outside the porch at night, from 2 weeks ago. My house is down a dirt road out in the woods (no cell phone signal). My property backs up against a state wildlife management area. Another friend saw a cougar at the edge of his property about a week ago. The hogs are all over the place. Those are the three most likely dangerous critters I'm likely to come across (although I lost a 7 month old puppy to I believe a gator; I don't normally roam near the water.)

I'm fortunate to be able to step out the door and shoot in my yard. I've setup a little pistol range that'll go to about 50 yards.

I guess a more traditional load for the Colt would be a 250 or 255 gr bullet; would I really be gaining anything by doing that? Pro or Cons over choosing which platform to use? Suggestions welcome. ACP is 10+1, the Colt is 6. Thoughts?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    How big are the bears you expect to see?
    Most around here will come in the 200-300lb range

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast