Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much difference does 20 grains make

My wife and I were out for a walk and I saw a black bear emerge from the trees to cross a field. He appeared to be in no hurry at all, just ambling along. Before I could point and say "look" he was gone.

We were in a New Jersey suburbs another day, and I saw what I thought was a statue of a bear next to a trash can. We were driving, so I stopped the car and we were discussing how life-like the statue was. Then the trash can exploded as if a stick of dynamite had gone off, and the "statue" bear ambled about eating bits and pieces. I was truly shocked at how quickly the bear demolished that trash can.

I've concluded that I'm not fast enough to draw, aim, and shoot a bear that ambushes me.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    Most around here will come in the 200-300lb range
    180 gr will be all you need. I would feel OK with the 40 S&W and 180.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    180 gr will be all you need. I would feel OK with the 40 S&W and 180.
    A 40 S&W with a 200 gr. cast FP around 20 BHN would give the warm fuzzies to me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by billmc2 View Post
    ....I guess a more traditional load for the Colt would be a 250 or 255 gr bullet; would I really be gaining anything by doing that? Pro or Cons over choosing which platform to use? Suggestions welcome. ACP is 10+1, the Colt is 6. Thoughts?
    Probably should remember that the .45acp was meant to duplicate the .45LC but in an auto loader. Seems to do that well.

The modern .45LC pistols, like the Ruger BH, can push even harder if you choose to. With the normal increase in recoil.

So, which you choose is up to you. Which do you shoot better? Which is better at follow up shots? Which do you like to carry better?

FWIW, shooting/defending against animals on your property you can also consider setting a rifle or shotgun next to the door.

I shoot the Lee 175 TC boolit in a Glock 20 and 16” carbine. By the time I powder coat and size, my alloy yields @ 180gr. My BHN is 11.3. It has stopped any hog/boar it has run in to out to 120 yards, so far.

That said, I would probably mix alloy to yield where you talking and then heat treat to get a bit harder. I don’t live in bear country, but I would imagine a hard pill for max penetration.

I shot the Lee 1 75 gr boolit in my Hipoint Carbine in .40sw. Worked well.

I would say in lead 20 gr difference is not much.
    In powder it can be a whole nother matter.

More important than the weight is bullet placement and keeping your cool.
    Putting 3-4 shots in the neck/head in a nice tight group is going to have that critter feeling sick and looking for cover. Course Adrenalin can cover a lot.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12