Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Meriden 15 / Mossberg K/M/S Pumps

Boolit Master

Meriden 15 / Mossberg K/M/S Pumps

Anybody know of anyone specializing in parts for these? Got a co-worker with a Meriden wall-hanger we'd like to rehabilitate, but initial impression is that with production ceasing @ Great Depression, bits and pieces are pretty thin on the ground. Numrich listing some, but not what this one's gonna need.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I have my grandpa's Meridan. Nice little pump for sure.
    The only place I have really saw parts for one, and not often, is Ebay.
    I've never looked it up as Mossberg though, maybe there is more of a selection for those?
    You might check out some older Savage's line also

Model M

model M Mossberg was only produced in 1927 so parts will be hard to find - iirc while researching mine i found an article that Mossberg purchased right to the pump models from Stevens for $1.00, so some early Stevens parts might work - what exaxtly are you looking for ? - mine still going strong after all this time -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1963.JPG  
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy
    Mossberg bought the rights to the Meriden from a bankrupt Meriden Arms Co
    Meriden F/A Co. went bankrupt after WW1. They had been taken over during WW1 by New England Westinghouse for production of War Time needs.
    They made parts for the Mosin Nagant rifles that were being made and assembled at the Remington Works in Illion, NY among other things.

Meridens assets went on the block in 1921 (?) and a new company call O.F. Mossberg bought among other things, the rights to the Meriden Model 15 pump .22 rifle.

That rifle was designed by the two sons (John and Basil(?)) of Arthur Savage, pres of Savage Arms Co.
    That the rifle was a 'Savage' patent has led to the often stated notion that Mossberg bought the rights to the Model 15 from Savage Arms Co.
    It was a rifle designed/patented by the 2 sons of Arthur Savage while working for Meriden Arms co. The rights bought at bankruptsy auction of Meriden Arms Co.
    The two brothers are also listed on the design patent(s) of Meriden's Model 1912 Repeating Shotgun,, a 12ga pumpgun that was only made for about 2 yrs before WW1 started. A nice sleek repeater with Winchester M12 looks but a slightly smaller frame for 12ga. It uses a standard carrier but a striker firing mechanism that looks somewhat like a Remington Model 10.

Oscar Mossberg brought the Meriden 15 out as the Mossberg Models K, M and S pump .22 's.
    There are some differences in internal parts. But many of the parts interchange.
    Of course the differences in bbl lengths and shapes, etc denote the different Models.

Very hard to find parts for these either as a Meriden or a Mossberg
    I believe the Mossbergs were also 'House Branded' and made with the Sears/Roebuck Co.

Ebay is a good source for parts guns as much as some may dislike the source.
    I've found stuff there I would have searched forever and never run across otherwise.

Here's a Meriden 15 factory Deluxe.
    It was in horrible condition having been soft wheel buffed and hot blued. Corners rounded, markings blurred, 4 holes in the bbl. The orig deluxe wood
    surprisingly untouched! It was all apart in 2 boxes when I bought it. Came with the tang and front globe sight.
    I took a chance that all the parts were there!
    The straightened out all the metal work, repolishing everything, Then upgraded with some engraving. The factory did offer Factory Engraving on these.
    I decided not to do a copy of Factory work. But instead do a custom pattern of my own design but still in keeping with the rifles age and era.
    All the metal was then slow rust blued.
    The wood was simply cleaned up with linseed oil, the checkering scrubbed out carefully with the same and wiped down. I still can't believe no one got to that wood, but thankfully so.

A pretty unique rifle I think. An excellent bore and mechanics, it does function and shoots very nicely.
    It resides w/ a new owner now.

from above post quote [ I believe the Mossbergs were also 'House Branded' and made with the Sears/Roebuck Co.]

my model M was hardware store branded as { Premier ] with no other markings except caliber + the number 34 849 on lower receiver tang -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

as they say in latin

Boolit Bub
    One good looking rifle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    model M Mossberg was only produced in 1927 so parts will be hard to find - iirc while researching mine i found an article that Mossberg purchased right to the pump models from Stevens for $1.00, so some early Stevens parts might work - what exaxtly are you looking for ? - mine still going strong after all this time -
    Firing pin broken, left extractor gone. Pins for retaining both gone. Unfortunately, parts that get a lot of work on .22's. Owner pretty much decided after hearing the results of my initial sweep that my continued searching wouldn't be worth the effort, given the non-existent finish and semi-pitted bore. That said, it's one of those Golden Age guns that should be saved if it can be.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

pins should be no problem - after memorial day i'll did out mine + see if firing pin + extractor would be easy to fabricate -

as they say in latin

Boolit Master

That would have been a hard rifle to sell, it's beautiful. (post #4).

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    That would have been a hard rifle to sell, it's beautiful. (post #4).
    Thank You!
    Sometimes I hang on to them for a while, but they just sit in the corner.

I go ahead and make up another 'project' like this Win61 and then I have a replacement and it sits in the corner.
    SemiRetirement is like that

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice work 2152hg.

Robert

Holy Smokes, 2152hq ! ! ! Are you a retired old-school factory engraver ?
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

These 2 rifles are truly art at it finest.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Holy Smokes, 2152hq ! ! ! Are you a retired old-school factory engraver ?
    Yes retired, Hammer & chisel engraver 50yrs+. Recently stubbornly had to give in and go to the air assist engraving tool (Lindsay). I could no longer hold hammer and chisel steady enough for decent work. I think I can get a few more yrs out of it!

Had my own fulltime 1 man restoration gunsmithing and engraving biz for 32 of those yrs.
    A small circle of customers kept me well supplied with work. The work is still out there if I want it. I still get old customers contacting me.
    I did some contract engraving for a couple gun companys
    I keep busy now by trying to complete all those 'project guns' I bought & accumulated over those yrs that there was never any time for.
    I doubt I'll get to all of them
    but I'll give it a good try!
    Better that sitting on the couch watching TV. That's a death sentence.
    Keep your mind and body busy with things you enjoy..
    Last edited by 2152hq; 06-02-2023 at 05:48 PM.

I have a rifle that looks surprising like yours, mine is marked Keystone with no model number.
    Mine is more of an economy rifle with a round barrel and no checkering I thought mine might have been made by Savage ?
    The Savage M 25 looks very similar ?

JedmanAttachment 314695Attachment 314696

Boolit Buddy
    Savage made the Keystone labled rifles for Tryon on the Models 25, 29 and I think also the 29A but I may be mistaken on the last.
    Nice looking rifle!
    All the Savage pumps seem to be great shooters.