RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: 10 Gauge 2-7/8 Inch 1-1/4 Ounce Buffered Lead Low Pressure Load Data

Boolit Master

10 Gauge 2-7/8 Inch 1-1/4 Ounce Buffered Lead Low Pressure Load Data

Just when you didn't expect it.

These low pressure roll crimp loads are built around the BP1044 wad and Herco powder. The "mild-mannered" version is listed in the 1250 fps range and rated close to 5500 psi.

And, yes, the "mild mannered" version is also a buffered load!

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/load05172023.htm

Thanks for posting that. I wonder how BP1044 compares to the SP10? I was just shooting some 000 buckshot using Longshot. It a 2x4 stack. Looking closer I guess they subbed in SP10 wads but they weren't the best.

2-7/8" 10 gauge is lots of fun for me. I have an old SxS Remington hammer gun.
    Last edited by pmer; 06-20-2023 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Weren't too good
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Thanks for the information and link, It will help .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Ballistic Products has some 10 gauge components on hand as well. A couple of days ago I was there and got hulls, x10xs', wads and OS cards.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’ll have to add that to all my low pressure load data for 2 7/8” 10 guage. I use a 100 grains of FG and 1 5/8 oz of #6 shot for turkeys. I was told it was as low of pressure or lower than the above load. I just don’t care for cleaning out the mess after shooting. Also it seems 19 grains of red dot for a 1 1/4 oz load seems to be the standard go to low pressure load. I tried RSTs and was less than impressed with the poor patterns out of my 1873 Charles Daly 10 gauge SxS shotgun so I had to start reloading if I was ever to hunt with it. My right barrel spreads way to wide after about 20 yards for me to hunt with but the left barrel I can hold a pattern out to 50 yards.

No hulls anymore. I’m sure they sold out as fast as they got them. I’ll stick with the hand full I have I guess and baby them.

[QUOTE=Tripplebeards;5590431]I’ll have to add that to all my low pressure load data for 2 7/8” 10 guage. I use a 100 grains of FG and 1 5/8 oz of #6 shot for turkeys. I was told it was as low of pressure or lower than the above load. I just don’t care for cleaning out the mess after shooting. Also it seems 19 grains of red dot for a 1 1/4 oz load seems to be the standard go to low pressure load. I tried RSTs and was less than impressed with the poor patterns out of my 1873 Charles Daly 10 gauge SxS shotgun so I had to start reloading if I was ever to hunt with it. My right barrel spreads way to wide after about 20 yards for me to hunt with but the left barrel I can hold a pattern out to 50 yards.[/QUOTE

I never tried holy black with mine just Longshot at 29.0 with 1.25 - 1.375 oz. The above Herco load will help me limp along as I have some of that. The Herco at 1250 and a bit faster for the other load with buffer should be nice hunting loads.

At the muzzle both of my barrels measure close to .750'', I suppose your left barrel might be bigger?

It is bigger. I don't remember but I think it's at least 10,000 th bigger I diameter...or more. I never tried Smokeless loads accept for RST shells. It has some big pits inside the barrels so I wanted to go as low of pressure as possible. From what I've read and been told the load is under 5000 for pressure. It's pretty close to the felt recoil of the 1 1/4oz RST factory loads with alot better patterns and more hits on target. I get more hits on a turkey head target at 40 yards with my hand load than the RST does at 25 yards.

I froze a video frame of the 100 gr of FG load...

Here is the first bird I pulled the trigger on with the load. A double bearder at 25 yards.

I've missed 2 Toms with the old gun and load combo since the bird above I retired the gun. I think I pulled the wrong trigger and the open shot pattern from the right barrel didn't get it done. If I ever hunt with it again I will use it as a single shot and won't load the right hand spreader barrel side so I will not make the mistake again of pulling the wrong trigger.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-22-2023 at 12:19 PM.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Nice bird tripplebeards!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]