Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lee Hand prime

lee Hand prime

This is an old question perhaps but does anyone have an answer as to why Lee dropped the old hand prime tool and repalced it with what they now offer? I can't see where it is better and I won't be trying one having gome back to my RCBS prime on the Rockchucker.

Boolit Master
    Sorry ... no Help here... my Original Hand Prime System from Lee works Gangbusters!!!

tried the new style, gave up trying to use it + threw it in garbage - still using + never a problem with the old style - -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gc45 View Post
    This is an old question perhaps but does anyone have an answer as to why Lee dropped the old hand prime tool and repalced it with what they now offer? I can't see where it is better and I won't be trying one having gome back to my RCBS prime on the Rockchucker.
    I believe the new version feeds primers from the tray in such a way that if you light off a primer it won’t trigger a chain reaction. So it’s a safer version.

Boolit Master

I still like and use mine.
    Maybe it was lasting too long or too well made!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    I believe the new version feeds primers from the tray in such a way that if you light off a primer it won’t trigger a chain reaction. So it’s a safer version.
    Exactly right. Someone did something stupid and sued. Now that option is removed so they'll have to find something else that's just as stupid to do. Like dumping hot coffee in your lap in the drive-thru. Sooner or later only cold drinks will be available in drive-thru. Careful what you ask for.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Exactly right. Someone did something stupid and sued. Now that option is removed so they'll have to find something else that's just as stupid to do. Like dumping hot coffee in your lap in the drive-thru. Sooner or later only cold drinks will be available in drive-thru. Careful what you ask for.
    My stash of Old Lee Hand primers work great until parts are worn out - have tried two of the new types (the ones being stated as safer because they will not chain detonate if a primer detonates); trouble is = they work like crap and fail to feed primers - so they are in a drawer never to be used and I have gone back to single feed primer loading using a Lee Press Mounted system (That RCBS Rock Chucker primer arm after 50 years still wants to fling primers across the room at times).
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    A number of users had multiple primers detonate when using the original round tray version. Lee did some in-house testing and replicated the detonation incidents. This was written up in at least one paper gun magazine about twenty-five or thirty years ago. It may also be covered in the front portion of the Lee manual. Lee suggested using only CCI and Winchester primers in the original round tray tool. Based on testing, these brands wer less likely to detonate. Granted, the original "dangerous" model tool was much better than what followed, just not as safe.

Boolit Master

Back in 1989 I had one of these "Detonations" in the oldLee Round Primer Tray. Primer pockets were really tight and I forced it. So, rather than blaming Lee Precision; I learned the need and utility of swaging and preparing Primer Pockets from range pick up or once fired brass to be loaded. Reloader's problem - not Lee's.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not to be a smart aleck, but this is why I like the original Lee priming tools with screw in shell holders. Primers are inserted one at a time. Easy peasy. But then again, I’ve never figured out why folks need an auto feed for primers. It may be because I’m retired and “have plenty of time”.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I had a number of the original Lee round tray tools and really liked them. I never had a problem until parts wore and primers could no longer be fully seated. Many claim to use these tools for decades and I don't doubt the claims, but they're probably not doing a lot of priming, maybe a few thousand a year. The soft material used in these tools won't last doing many thousands of primers annually and if they were made of better materials they would cost more. Lubricating the wear points might prolong the useful tool life, but probably not by much.

I cannibalized worn tools for usable parts like others have done. I tried the newer square tray models; junk. I threw away three of them, I think. Figuring there had to be a better way, about ten years ago, I bought a 21st Century priming tool. It may be a one-at-a-time tool, but it works, it's made of good material (steel) and there's nothing to complain about. I don't miss the Lee.

Boolit Master

I have the replacement for the tool with the screw in Shellholders!
    It is the same as the round tray version but without the round tray, it is single feed.
    I got it with a LEE wack-a-mole 38 Special reloading kit when I bought my Colt Trooper in 1978.

Boolit Master
    I have several older round Lee Hand Primers that I use a lot. Greasing the pressure cam can extend their lives substantially. I also have the RCBS 90200 Hand Priming Tool that I use and like as well or better than the old Lee Hand Primer. The RCBS is much harder to change shellholder size ( standard loading press shellholder) compared to the Lee. I do have one of the new Franklin Arsenal Hand Primers, it works well, but it is very heavy compared to the Lee and RCBS so gets used less.

Boolit Master

Yea, I had one of those Franklin primer tools too. like you said, good tool but to heavy. I sold it.
    I've been using the old Lee round tray for over 35 years and pick up parts for them when I find them
    at gun shows. I read where the problem with detonations was primer dust that builds up on the
    tray and then if a primer does detonate, the whole tray goes off. I clean my tray of dust often.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    tried the new style, gave up trying to use it + threw it in garbage - still using + never a problem with the old style - -
    Same here.....
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of the new style Lee priming tools with the square tray. It fails to feed properly unless consistently held in a certain position at about a 45 degree angle off the vertical. I don’t like it much because it is fussy, but use it. I’ve tried the RCBC hand and press primers (separate tool slotted to the shell holder not the original priming arm) and regard both as industrial design worthy of Rube Goldberg. I keep two of the old Lee single primer press tools on hand against the day the Lee hand primer fails entirely. These can be made to work fairly quickly if I wear a rubber glove on the hand than manipulates the primer to avoid getting oil on it from my fingertips. There is no doubt something better on the market, but neither of my kids reload so I have put a hold on buying new reloading gear until something wears out or breaks.

Lotech - stated the main problem I had with the original Lee auto prime of not fully seating primers when the toggle link becomes too worn. Results-misfires! The newer version might have been safer than the older units, but they did not feed as safely. I now use Lee’s press mounted priming die; it solves the proper seating depth problem, but still requires some finesse to get the triangle priming tray attachment to feed consistently.

I had two of the old round-tray tools, and never needed anything else. Then I tried to force primers into converted cases that had too shallow of primer pockets. Ordered the "improved" square tray tool, and have had nothing but trouble with it. It tends to flip primers upside down, so I have to check every case before moving on. I made a temporary fix of one of the old tools, but it soon gave out again. I won't be buying any more Lee priming tools, although I like their other stuff just fine.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

I guess I am the odd man out in this group. The first primer tool i ever used way back in 62-63 was the old screw in Lee type shellholder tools. I broke one handle before I figured out how to use it correctly and I haven't broke one since and I do have several of them and use them regularly. I prime with both the old Lee's and also the RCBE posi-prime. I love them both. It's the only way I prime, sitting in front of a television watching a good college football game or baseball game. works for me, james

Boolit Master

JB weld it when it won't seat primers all the way! File and sand it, works for me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast