RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How'd I Do?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My Marlins have snug throats, I would not order anything with a nose fatter than bore diameter. Good way to crack your brass and drive pressure up.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    If you shoot it, it will forever stay a .30-30, not that that is a bad thing. Shooting a donor rifle is the number one cause of failure to convert to some other suitable caliber.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be very enthused about pouring more money into a rifle that had someone else's name and SSN on it. I have never understood this practice on anything that has a factory serial number.

My Model 30AW likes boolits sized 0.311".

Robert
    Weii, Robert, you were right. I cant bring myself to change a thing on this little orphan. I didn't have a mold or any cast boolits but I found a half a box of 170 gr Speers and tried Reloader 15. These were shot at 50 yds which is where I put the targets to zero the scope, but promising anyway.Attachment 314626 I'm not crazy about the way it looks with a 3x9 scope on it but it helps the testing part.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Does not look like it has any issues that would make it a bad choice for a conversion to 38-55. Good 30-30's are easy to find, 38-55's are not as easy to find.

A 255 grain bullet at 1200 fps can be fun, at 1800 fps it can be very effective on larger game. At 2000-2100 fps it is very serious.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

It looks like it shoots like a Marlin.
    I remember discovering their accuracy as a teen.
    Dads Winchester 94 wouldn’t keep up with my brothers $75 Marlin 336- even without scopes.
    You scored a good rifle.
    A fixed 4x scope on there will be perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the same thing about a fixed 4x. They are hard to find now and the only one I know of is Leupold. Burris used to make a really good one but they are hard to find as well. I do have a Skinner peep sight with the brass insert and a brass front sight that was on my 1895 CB 45/70 that I might try but is sure is gratifying to shoot those small groups.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Try some different powders and I bet you can cut those groups in half. Mine loves IMR 4064. I wouldn't rebore a rifle that nice, especially given that the half mag version tends to be very accurate from the get go.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

The fact that the 1/2 mag guns shoot better has been my experience too. My 1895 Cow Boy 4/70 was a whole different animal with that 26" long magazine full of ammo. If it was single loaded, it was pretty accurate but with a full load, all bets were off, plus it weighed a lot more with a mag full. I believe that's one reason the Winchester 94's I have dealt with didn't shoot nearly as this 1/2 mag gun. It is also one reason I dove on it at the gun show quickly.

Boolit Master

Unless it is the only 30-30 you have, you should consider a rebore to 38-55. If you have several 30-30's then you might select a different one for rebore.

Either way, you need a 38-55.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

It's the only 30-30 that I have. I have been on the lookout for a used Henry single shot to have rebored by JES. I intended to have this rifle rebored but considering how it shoots, I think I'll leave it alone...for now. MK42gunner was right and I knew in the back of my mind that same thing, that if you shoot the donor, it better be a dog or you will end up liking it.

You can find a factory Winchester 94 .38-55 for the same money as you would have in this one with a rebore if you are patient. Or a new Henry for not much more. I think your Glenfield 30 could be an MOA rifle with some experimentation, mine certainly is.

Yep, these Marlins have been good shooters. Must be the JM stamp, LOL. After all, I've never seen 2 initial worth so much $.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123