Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any .50-70 shooteers here?

Any .50-70 shooteers here?

Just became owner of a Remington Rolling Block long rifle and am not 100% sure of the caliber. However, after slugging the bore and making some measurements at the breech, I believe it might be a 50-70. Anyone here have a dummy round or old case they would care to send along for verification?

I'd dearly love to shoot this rifle. If it turns out to be a .50-70, are cases available at a reasonable cost?

Thanks. Look forward to your response.

PBSmith.

Starline make new brass and Lyman loading dies. For boolits Lyman has the 515142 (450gn).
    My rifle is a Pedersoli 'Long Range' Sharps which is very accurate with black powder.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Do a chamber cast to be sure. You will learn a lot more than just dropping a case in there.

If it is a 50-70, for an inexpensive mold start with the Lee 2-cavity mold, 515-450-F. I shot it for years over 5744 to good effect.

Moved on to a NOE 400 grain mold, easier on the lead stash, easier on a 150+ year old rifle and easier on my shoulder.

I would be a .50-70 shooter if I could find a nice rifle for it!
    Slavin' away for the Takers - I make it, They take it.

Boolit Master
    Not quite a 50/70 but I have shot a few Swedish 12.7x44R's. Used shortened 50/70 and 50AK brass. 50/70 starting loads. Shot pretty well with the Lee mold. Also tried the Lyman 515139 (330 gr) which was wild in the rifles I tried it in. Have fun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PBSmith View Post
    Just became owner of a Remington Rolling Block long rifle and am not 100% sure of the caliber. However, after slugging the bore and making some measurements at the breech, I believe it might be a 50-70. Anyone here have a dummy round or old case they would care to send along for verification?

I'd dearly love to shoot this rifle. If it turns out to be a .50-70, are cases available at a reasonable cost?

Thanks. Look forward to your response.

PBSmith.
    Your inbox is full and won't accept messages.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy

I grabbed a nice 50-70 roller over the winter. I have been using light loads for it. The 450 grain Lee bullet cast from pure lead. 45 grains of Swiss 1.5 and some filler. Here is a 50 yard off hand group with that load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    If it's a Remington it will have the name on the tang. If fifty caliber it's likely a 12.17 x 44mmR or 42mmR. Be sure to check out how much lead is in the barrel. These bores have deep grooves. JB paste an lots of elbow grease.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Your inbox is full and won't accept messages.

Tim
    Thanks Tim. Cleaned out the inbox. Look forward to your message,

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    If it's a Remington it will have the name on the tang. If fifty caliber it's likely a 12.17 x 44mmR or 42mmR. Be sure to check out how much lead is in the barrel. These bores have deep grooves. JB paste an lots of elbow grease.
    Made measurements at breech, slugged the bore. From looking at specs in Cartridges of the World, I don't see how this rifle can be anything other than 50-70. Remington stamp is plain and clear.

Dropped in an old REM-UMC factory .50-70 round - fits. Stuck an empty .50-90 case in the chamber, right amount of casing sticking out of breech.

I believe I read that a good number of these rifles in .50-70 were issued to state militias.
    Last edited by PBSmith; 05-28-2023 at 08:15 PM.

Does anyone shoot the old SR4759 load in these RB's? If so, how much with a 400-grain bullet? If I can get my hands on FFg, I will try the FFg duplexed with a small charge of SR4759. Decades ago I had good luck with that combination of powders in .45-70 trapdoors.

In the meantime, I'm wondering about a straight 4759 charge.

Boolit Mold
    I. have 2 NYS my favorite shooters.

I will soon to be a 50-70 shooter. Ordered a Shiloh 1874 carbine last January of 2022. The carbines are starting come in according to Bill Goodman who I ordered through. Called last week he got a few in but mine was not one. Any time now. I pick up 100 Starline cases from Midway last year should have bought more because I haven’t seen any more they have been back ordered. RCBS has dies also. I got mine for $38. I have cast 200 Lee 450gr nice looking bullet hope it will be accurate in the carbine. I will only load bp for it.

Boolit Buddy

I have been shooting a 325gr Rapine 50 cal bullet in my Springfield Model 1870 Trapdoor with 25 grs of IMR 4759 Shoots clover leafs at 50 yards. I size em to .518 That is the groove dia of my rifle. This same load shoots great in my 50-70 Sharps 1868 conversion and 1874 Sporting rifle. The Lyman 515 450gr bullet shoots quite well but the recoil is a little stiffer. Frank Barnes wrote the book Cartridges of the World. He claims IMR 4759 is one of the best black powder substitutes. His book shows a lot of loadings for IMR4759 for many old obsolete black powder cartridges.

I have several 50-70 rifles and shoot nothing but smokeless in them. I do use the IMR 4759 and 5744 mostly but also IMR 4227, 4198 and when I had some Unique also.
    I shoot mostly the Lee 450 gr. But have used 500 gr. all shoot very good.
    One of my rifles has a .515 groove and the others have .512.

Sorry I reilized after I posted that this is a black powder cartridge forum .

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 07-01-2023 at 03:10 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Just picked up a model 1870 Springfield trapdoor to plink with but also use for the local straight-walled cartridge deer season. What bullets are people liking for deer? The Lee mold seems less than ideal (smaller flat on the nose) while the Lyman 515142 seems better. Any experience out there?

Boolit Bub
    The Lee is best at .515. Lyman is like .512. Lee shoots great in my 1866 &1870. 70g 2f, LRP, no crimp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast