WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Percussion cap size question?

Percussion cap size question?

Today at a gun show I looked at an interesting percussion rifle, probably 58 caliber. Can't tell for sure if it's a repro or an original. In any event, I could be interested if I can shoot it.

The nipple/cap size had me puzzled. Seller had #11 caps on his table. They are definitely too small for the rifle.

Is there a next larger # size before you get into musket caps?

I didn't have a caliper or micrometer with me to measure the nipple size. What is the end diameter of a musket nipple?

Look forward to your responses.

There is a no. 12 cap. My understanding used on foreign large Walker Colt revolvers. A .58 rifle would expect to use musket caps. Just measured a musket cap and get about .228 for the open end.

Boolit Master
    Check the nipple to see if it might be Mushroomed over from people dry firing the lock.
    But a lot of the .58's did use Musket Nipples.
    If the nipple is Mushroomed over.
    You can replace it , or chuck it in a drill and file it back to shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockingkj View Post
    There is a no. 12 cap. My understanding used on foreign large Walker Colt revolvers. A .58 rifle would expect to use musket caps. Just measured a musket cap and get about .228 for the open end.
    Thanks Rock. I need to get a measurement on the nipple - that should tell something. I have a .17" nipple and the one on the gun is larger than 0.17".

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Check the nipple to see if it might be Mushroomed over from people dry firing the lock.
    But a lot of the .58's did use Musket Nipples.
    If the nipple is Mushroomed over.
    You can replace it , or chuck it in a drill and file it back to shape.
    LAGS - thank you for that reminder. I don't believe this one was muhroomed, but will look again if I get a second chance.

If this piece turns out to be of British origin, does that mean all bets are off as to nipple/cap size and threads on the nipple?

Boolit Master
    I believe that Track of the Wolf has nipples to fit British models

The Remington 1863 rifled muskets from Navy Arms had a spare #11 size nipple imbedded in the wood of the stock in the patch box for those who wished to use the smaller caps. I believe you can send the nipple into either TOW or Dixie Gun Works to have them fit a replacement for whatever cap you desire (#11 or musket cap). Check with them first before sending in a nipple.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn