Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: In Need Of A Mold Built For .243/6mm , Copy Of Hornady 110 A Tip.

In Need Of A Mold Built For .243/6mm , Copy Of Hornady 110 A Tip.

Hello All, I just joined your forum yesterday5/19/23 didn’t even know a site like this existed, I really need to get out more LOL. But anyway I have been casting for many many years sort of forced into it because of extreme projectile prices. Here is my question I am looking for someone or company that will build a mold to spec sort off a one off I guess but as the title states a .243/6mm copy of a 110 Hornady A Tip with the usual gas check set up and so forth, 7 twist barrel Bighorn TL3 Bolt receiver on a manners TCS Chassis, I shoot PRS and this bullet if possible will be for a 6mm Dasher cartridge to do positional work out to 4 to 600 yards nothing to fare. Even shooting seconds in 107 from creedmore sports is getting costly for just doing the positional stuff smacking steel. If any of you knowledgeable fellas or gals can point me to someone it would be greatly appreciated, I mold with the usual Lyman/Lee molds and handles along with a seen better days Lee production pot that’s about the run down of things, Thanks to all and looking forward to the answers if any…

Boolit Master
    Only list of Ideal Lyman molds.

24 Caliber .245 Diameter

245496 Designed after H. Guy Loverin design. Very popular for both the 243 and 244 calibers. (GC, RN, 85 - TP 203)

245497 Made as an experimental design for the 243 and 244 (GC, RN, 93 - TP 203)

245498 (GC, FN, 99 - TP 498) .22-10-45: Hello, madsenshooter. You are spot on in that the 245499..and particularly the 245498 are well suited to the 7 1/2" twist of the .236 (6mm) Lee-Navy rifle.

245499 Made as an experimental design for the 243 and 244. Thus far has proved very poor as it is too heavy. (GC, RN, 110? - TP 203) madsenshooter: it also ought to make a good bullet for the 6mm Navy as it has a fast twist that would stabilize it.

Boolit Master
    Maybe a paper patch

NOE has a 106gr but it's a FN design.

Thank all you guy’s for your reply.

Anything like that would be custom since normal 6mm rifles won't handle anything that heavy.

Moderator Emeritus

Few custom makers have the ability to go smaller than 7mm. Accurate Molds is the best design your own and he stops at 0.308".
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

The problem is going to be that if you do find a mold maker to cut an exact copy of the 110 A tip bullet it will not weigh the same!
    The A tip is made with lead, guilding metal and aluminum, your cast copy will have mostly lead, tin and antimony.
    It may be possible to get the weight close to the A tip but I think that the performance of the cast will differ from the A tip.
    Do you plan to use the cast boolits exclusively?

Boolit Master
    What velocity are you planning to shoot these bullets at? What is the ballistic coefficient of the design that you want to produce? What is the twist rate of your barrel? If you're intending to shoot 6mm cast bullets out to 600 yards and not have the projectile pass through the transonic zone, it will take some more information to see if this is feasible. With cast bullets the accuracy can drop off above certain velocity and rotational rates. Also, at high velocities spire point cast bullets can experience a nose slump which destroys accuracy. The window that you're trying for might be narrow, or maybe non-existent. You may need a blunter nose section to prevent slumping, which may reduce the BC to the point that the bullet will become subsonic before reaching the target. Or, to prevent going through the transonic zone, the bullet may need to have a velocity that is determental to good accuracy. Before you go to the expense of having custom one off molds made, check to see if the bullet is going to work for your application.

We all know that a long unsupported nose like that 107 Accutip has will not work as a cast bullet. But a similar length bore rider probably will, though the velocity is going to have to be held pretty low due to the 1:7 twist spinning them too fast. I've done the same thing the OP is proposing with a 6.5 Creedmoor, of course it's easier with a 6.5 due to the available molds but I had a sub MOA load going 1500 fps. Not very useful at 600 yards but inside of 300 it worked very well for position and bolt running practice and didn't wear out my barrel. He's going to have a tough time doing what he proposes, but a 95 grain RCBS bullet loaded right will still make some valuable practice ammo and make him a better shooter.

The velocity is maybe 2870 and barrel twist is 7.5 it doesn’t really even have to be an A Tip I could go with a sierra match king or a Berger for that matter. Just would like to find something close just for practice and to get some sort of accuracy.

Yep, at that speed jacketed bullets are going to be a lot more useful.

Thanks guys for casting knowledge I do appreciate it.

Boolit Master
    With that fast 1-7.5 twist rate you'll probably see the accuracy start dropping off with cast loads at much above 1600 to 1650 fps. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Because you're velocity limited anyway, you might consider a heavy for caliber bullet that has more surface area in contact with the bore, a higher ballistic coefficient, and more inertia. You'll get a rainbow arc at extended ranges, and the longer time in flight will mean more susceptibility to wind drift, but cast bullets can be surprisingly accurate if you put in the work. Cast bullets would be a good choice for long range training. The old adage "aim small, miss small" holds true. It would be a lot harder to hit accurately at long range with cast loads than it is with jacketed. By that virtue, if you train with cast bullets and become proficient, then you will be that much more skilled when shooting jacketed loads.

I have been thinking about a heavier bullet and this does makes sense a liter thin nosed bullet un jacketed just would not hold up. Have been shooting long range for years and like the saying goes either use it or loose it because even if you just lay off of doing it for a month the body and mind becomes lazy and you feel like you have to get back in the swing of things so to speak, thus the reason to stay with it and staying with it becomes very pricey and I have to find another source and idea for practice projectiles even if it requires a more rounded heavier nosed bullet I can get at least 400 yards out of that would be fantastic. Thank you guys for the food for thought. I have to change my bullet geometry LOL.