Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: high HP crate engines

Banned

ok the zl1 is just flipping amazing. i never raced on a road course and the only turning racing was 1/4 mile oval turn left with a 6 cyl 68 camaro. that insane machine pulled 170 on the straight. i didnt do 70. AMAZING CAR. then the blackwing vs vette. i give it an equally amazing rating. i know those vettes launch hard and eveytime. so the caddy even running that close in the quarter was dammed impressive. the running it down on the top end was just wow! to give the vette its due it ran with that caddy that had near 200 more hp. but if i have to be honest i liike the c7 zo6 if were talking vettes and the caddy while being super cool loses me with 4 doors just like the hellcat charger. especially in the case of the caddy it would easily be mistaken as a toyota or malibu by a non car guy. sleepers were cool when i raced but today im not dumping 80k on a sleeper. granted if you get aroud car guys they will know and that should be good enough. but call me vain. cant get the girls anymore with my good looks and hard body so to stroke my ego i at least want to turn there heads with my ride. that is as long as the wife aint looking. shes probably worse them me.she takes the car to work probably 5 days a week and i know its to rub it in the face of the girls at work that have boring mini van husbands. so all that said its the zl1 for me and its an easy choice

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    God talking about cars never gets old. used to say it was girls and cars but cars never got old to me and the girls attracted to me did. God to be 25 today!! dont know if i would make to 30 but what a ride. bet ya mary sent more then a few boyys running with there tails tucked
    I got tasked with staying up all night to rebuild the 428 in the stock car(Mustang Mach One sheet metal, tube frame... we were blacklisted on a few tracks for winning to much thanks to that frame design. Car owner wet on to build NASCAR frames...) and a guy friend who was kind of a hanger on was running his mouth.

"So you get to put the heads on, big deal...." as his mouth hung open as I rolled out a bare block and started building. We kept 4 spare blocks and at least 2 sets of pistons/rods/bearings/gasket sets etc on hand. This rebuild was to replace the one with a melted piston from the night before. We used some drag racing tricks other teams didn't. Mid engine plate so the transmission stayed in place, front engine plate so we had no engine torque twist on standard motor mounts other teams were using. Put a little more power to the track and gave us an edge... ran super modified class so pretty much anything went as far as chassis and engine mods(no super chargers or turbos, no nitrous, single carb no bigger than 1,000cfm the only restrictions). So aluminum pistons, race rods that were lighter but stronger, we did a custom crankshaft that basically made it a stroker(mush memory but I want to say it was 450cu inches), non stock cams...

I had that engine together and in the car 2 hours before we had to leave for the track 7 hours away... I slept the entire trip in the bunk of the car hauler that was built from a semi tractor with a stretched frame and a roll back deck.

Guy who was hanging out stood there mouth open for an hour then left when I told him this was going to take 4-5 hours... and we didn't get home until 2AM...

Boolit Master
    Ok, Now we are in my wheelhouse! I did road racing for many years and I actually got to ride on the Nürburgring in a 930 Porsche Turbo. I was not driving since my comp license was not good in Germany but my German friend who owned the car and was a race driver over there took me on a few laps. This was before all the graffiti on the track and the goofy open track days when anybody could go in and drive their cars there. So it was a clean track. Pretty close to the same speeds although the Porsche handles much better. The ZL1, what can be said about that engine? I remember that engine when it was a factory only race engine in the 60's. All aluminum block 427. Did you notice in those laps he was not manually shifting? That was all automatic with some manual paddle downshifts. All of the upshifts were fully automatic. Try finding one of those cars over here.

Boolit Master
    I can say with absolute certainty my Blackwing will out pull a C8 from above 60 mph. I done it enough times to know it wasn’t a fluke.
    0-60, C8 is the winner. With its rear engine it gets much better traction when launching.
    East Tennessee

Banned
    I'll bet you that if The Stig from Top Gear was driving that Corvette he'd beat that Cadilac, or visa versa! LOL

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    I can say with absolute certainty my Blackwing will out pull a C8 from above 60 mph. I done it enough times to know it wasn’t a fluke.
    0-60, C8 is the winner. With its rear engine it gets much better traction when launching.
    ever run a c7z? how do you think it would do against your old zl1?

Banned

I had that engine together and in the car 2 hours before we had to leave for the track 7 hours away... I slept the entire trip in the bunk of the car hauler that was built from a semi tractor with a stretched frame and a roll back deck.
    i think if i wasnt married i be courting you marry

Boolit Master
    ever run a c7z? how do you think it would do against your old zl1?
    I never come up against one with the ZL1. I think it would end up being a drivers race. I believe on paper the Z06 is quicker by a small margin
    East Tennessee

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    I never come up against one with the ZL1. I think it would end up being a drivers race. I believe on paper the Z06 is quicker by a small margin
    should be its got to be more then 500lbs lighter. but depending on where that weight or lack of weight is it could make it harder to launch

Boolit Master
    should be its got to be more then 500lbs lighter. but depending on where that weight or lack of weight is it could make it harder to launch
    What helps the ZL1 is it has the A10 while the Z06 still has the older, A8.
    East Tennessee

Banned
    Why not just buy a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R? Aw hell, I know why, just teasing y'all.

Banned

at 20 youd have me but i couldnt lay over that tank for 5 minutes with this back. still remember heading to a reception with the wife in my grand national. my sister behind us with her husband on his 1100 crotch rocket Suzuki. i nailed on a 40 mph roll and thought i was getting it he casually pulled along side a me, flipped up his face mask and smiled at my flipped it back down and probably at 70-80mph with my sister on the back popped a wheely and left me like i was chained to the road. BIG difference in bides and cars in the 8os. not so much differences in them in the 70s when 12s were about it for both. or today when 9s are top end for both. sure never thought id make that statement even 15 years ago

Banned
    at 20 youd have me but i couldnt lay over that tank for 5 minutes with this back. still remember heading to a reception with the wife in my grand national. my sister behind us with her husband on his 1100 crotch rocket Suzuki. i nailed on a 40 mph roll and thought i was getting it he casually pulled along side a me, flipped up his face mask and smiled at my flipped it back down and probably at 70-80mph with my sister on the back popped a wheely and left me like i was chained to the road. BIG difference in bides and cars in the 8os. not so much differences in them in the 70s when 12s were about it for both. or today when 9s are top end for both. sure never thought id make that statement even 15 years ago
    Couldn't agree with you more. I had a 750 Honda Interceptor in the early 80's. I think they wrote it up as 11.43 in the quarter mile. I don't know, never took it to a track. I will tell you my best friend gave me a new pair of black porcelain coated MAC headers and it was though I put a small block chevy in that bike! They made a huge difference. I almost killed myself numerous times on that bike especially when we moved to Colorado and I got those windy mountain roads. I know when I was entering the highways at the entrance ramps I could literally just pull out and keep ahead of the traffic. Winding 3rd gear put me over the speed limit. I'm trying to remember what speed it was at that if you took your hand off the grip that you couldn't put it back. In eastern CO I was doing about 100mph and I hit a Woodcock with the clutch lever. Wow! I thought the engine was going to blow up as it pushed the clutch lever in. There were blood, guts, and feathers all over the place. Only thing I ever hit with a bike. Wife bought me a racing book fearing I was going to get killed and might as well educate me to riding fast with the book. It was called The Twist Of The Wrist. Had a lot of good info in it. It would give me 52 mpg.

They didn't handle, and once you got them above 85 or so the front ends would lift. Brakes sucked as did fuel mileage.
    yup, just ego boosters.
    Whatever!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    They didn't handle, and once you got them above 85 or so the front ends would lift. Brakes sucked as did fuel mileage.
    yup, just ego boosters.
    What are you talking about popper?

Banned

im curious to

Banned
    im curious to
    He's got to be talking about the bike, in which case he's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more. I had a 750 Honda Interceptor in the early 80's. I think they wrote it up as 11.43 in the quarter mile. I don't know, never took it to a track. I will tell you my best friend gave me a new pair of black porcelain coated MAC headers and it was though I put a small block chevy in that bike! They made a huge difference. I almost killed myself numerous times on that bike especially when we moved to Colorado and I got those windy mountain roads. I know when I was entering the highways at the entrance ramps I could literally just pull out and keep ahead of the traffic. Winding 3rd gear put me over the speed limit. I'm trying to remember what speed it was at that if you took your hand off the grip that you couldn't put it back. In eastern CO I was doing about 100mph and I hit a Woodcock with the clutch lever. Wow! I thought the engine was going to blow up as it pushed the clutch lever in. There were blood, guts, and feathers all over the place. Only thing I ever hit with a bike. Wife bought me a racing book fearing I was going to get killed and might as well educate me to riding fast with the book. It was called The Twist Of The Wrist. Had a lot of good info in it. It would give me 52 mpg.
    Very good book by Keith Code. He wrote several of them.

If you're interested in sport bikes (commonly called "crotch rockets") it's a good book to read.

My late wife and I had sport bikes. Hers was a GSXR1000 and mine was an 03 Hayabusa. We had so much fun on those bikes but we took training from professional racers who probably kept us alive!

Funny thing about her is that there was always some punk kid who wanted to "show the girl" how to ride in the twisty mountain road. We' take off, following them finally, she' let me know on the Chatterbox that she was tired of going slow and was going to pass these clown. Sh'e blast around them, in a corner, laying the bike over, dragging knee. I'd go right behind her. After another quarter mile, the little boys would disappear and we presume they would go home and cry in their cereal bowls.

She was very good on the bike.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    Very good book by Keith Code. He wrote several of them.

If you're interested in sport bikes (commonly called "crotch rockets") it's a good book to read.

My late wife and I had sport bikes. Hers was a GSXR1000 and mine was an 03 Hayabusa. We had so much fun on those bikes but we took training from professional racers who probably kept us alive!

Funny thing about her is that there was always some punk kid who wanted to "show the girl" how to ride in the twisty mountain road. We' take off, following them finally, she' let me know on the Chatterbox that she was tired of going slow and was going to pass these clown. Sh'e blast around them, in a corner, laying the bike over, dragging knee. I'd go right behind her. After another quarter mile, the little boys would disappear and we presume they would go home and cry in their cereal bowls.

She was very good on the bike.

--Wag--
    I think in addition to your training methods that it's a good idea to ride trail bikes. What you learn on them comes in handy riding on the street, like body "english" on the bike! Saved my butt many times.

Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    I think in addition to your training methods that it's a good idea to ride trail bikes. What you learn on them comes in handy riding on the street, like body "english" on the bike! Saved my butt many times.
    Wholeheartedly agree.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast