Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: high HP crate engines

Banned

The crate engines are used a lot because they are cheaper to buy them than you can often build them yourself unless you have access to free parts and do you own machining. The components are well balanced, get excellent mileage for the horse power, they are also reliable. At least that has been my experience with the Chevy LS motors and 502 crate motors. My dad has a 700 HP Hellcat. He's wanting a Viper. I asked him why and he said, "you never can have too much horse power".
    hellcat has more hp then a viper. red eye hellcat even more, superstock and demons more yet and talk of a 1000hp special addition in the works. base hellcat will run with and probably take a viper in a straight line but it reverses if theres even a slight turn in the road. i never warmed up to vipers (other then the viper powered srt10 pickups that were very cool) they to me look like a mix of the old shelbys and the early 60s vettes that someone stretched like taffy. for the money a z06 vette is much more car in every catagory. ive beet a few vipers with my 2007 c6 zo6. it had only 505 hp but made use of it. a c7 with 650 would handly take one. dont know about the new c8 na motored z06. from what ive heard it was the fastest yet. should have kept that c6z. last real drivers vette. manual only and no electronic nannies of any kind. just a big torquey na motor in a light body with big brakes. about as close to an adult racing cart as was ever made. thing pulled down mid 11s like a hellcat but drive it 70 down the road and ive seen 30mpg. wife wanted something with a useable back seat so we sold it and bought the challenger but i dont think anyones been in the back seat in the 4 years weve had it. that said i do like this challenger and the wife loves it and said if i get something else this one stays. guess i can live with that
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 05-25-2023 at 05:30 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerEd View Post
    The crate engines are used a lot because they are cheaper to buy them than you can often build them yourself unless you have access to free parts and do you own machining. The components are well balanced, get excellent mileage for the horse power, they are also reliable. At least that has been my experience with the Chevy LS motors and 502 crate motors. My dad has a 700 HP Hellcat. He's wanting a Viper. I asked him why and he said, "you never can have too much horse power".
    One of my bosses had a Viper. He asked me to make a parts run one day and I told him all the shop trucks were out. He tossed me the keys to his Viper and said keep it in 2nd gear and under 60mph.... and he wasn't kidding! Thing was a beast!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    I am talking production car, not some special order car with one seat. And I guarantee you the option for the other seats is one hell of a lot more than one dollar!!! Don't get me wrong, I do NOT like Tesla just because of who owns it but the fact of the matter is that you get a full blown all out luxury car that blows the doors off everything else out there. And something else to note on that Dodge is that the times they quote are for a car with special slicks on a prepped dragstrip. They tell you straight up you can never get those times on the street. The Tesla can get the same times no matter where due to it's all wheel drive and advanced traction control.
    The Dodges all have traction control too, standard equipment. Even my 2017 Escape has it. Escape has the same HP my old F150 had and the pickup would roast the wheels thru 3 gears. The Escape won't even chirp them, just pushes you back in the seat... even on snow it is hard to get tire spin!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    One of my bosses had a Viper. He asked me to make a parts run one day and I told him all the shop trucks were out. He tossed me the keys to his Viper and said keep it in 2nd gear and under 60mph.... and he wasn't kidding! Thing was a beast!
    i drove a couple of them. sure wont say there not fast. but just not my cup of tea and they sound like a fed ex truck with a leaky muffler or two suburu's racing with those god awful 4 in exhausts. buddys got a ram srt10 and even with long tube headers and a cat back it sounds like crap. first few years were terrible. tops that barely slowed down the rain and side pipes that would bake you out of them on a hot day and burn your legs getting out.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 05-25-2023 at 03:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    I drove one at Road America, which I think is one of the best road race tracks in America. The owner usually had me driving Corvettes or Camaros so this took me by surprise. It was not in the racing class due to engine size but they have open classes where you can race what you brought on the track for a few laps. the regulars and high dollar racers get a lot more laps. So I had most of the day to play with this thing. He wanted a full written report on what I thought of it. That is the price you pay for getting paid to do what you love!! The car was definitely fast, not fast enough to beat the Vettes and Camaros and Mustangs. It is a heavy car and handling is "different". It is not bad, it is just different. Most of that is die to the monstrous torque the engine puts out at relatively low rpm. Where I am usually rolling into the throttle halfway through the turn and I am at full throttle as I exit the turn this thing is drifting two thirds through! That takes a lot of getting used to. What I found was because I could not come out of the turns as fast as I normally would I was trying to make it up in the straight which it did quite well but then you had to haul it down going into the next turn and as I said it is a heavy car and if you are coming into a hairpin you are going from150 to 40 in a really short space. I think that is why they never really took off in road racing, Too much of a change I never drove it on the street but talking to a lot of people that have them they are a blast for drifting and burnouts in driving style to make it work. Basically they are good for turning good tires into bad tires very quickly.
    But I saw in Haggerty I think it was there is a guy who has 25 or 30 of them. Every color of every model made for every year it was made!! Now THAT is dedication to a car, AND a LOT of disposable income.

This is the guy I was talking about above.
    https://www.hagerty.com/media/market...-bill-blewett/

But I found this one while looking for that article I found this one, 80 Vipers! And all driven regularly.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ollection.html

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    LOL! I've replaced more carrier bearings than you could count with an abacus.
    …. I also, you should have been around big trucks with Kingpins back in the day…LOL

ART
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

I had a typo...I meant Demon��

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    I drove one at Road America, which I think is one of the best road race tracks in America. The owner usually had me driving Corvettes or Camaros so this took me by surprise. It was not in the racing class due to engine size but they have open classes where you can race what you brought on the track for a few laps. the regulars and high dollar racers get a lot more laps. So I had most of the day to play with this thing. He wanted a full written report on what I thought of it. That is the price you pay for getting paid to do what you love!! The car was definitely fast, not fast enough to beat the Vettes and Camaros and Mustangs. It is a heavy car and handling is "different". It is not bad, it is just different. Most of that is die to the monstrous torque the engine puts out at relatively low rpm. Where I am usually rolling into the throttle halfway through the turn and I am at full throttle as I exit the turn this thing is drifting two thirds through! That takes a lot of getting used to. What I found was because I could not come out of the turns as fast as I normally would I was trying to make it up in the straight which it did quite well but then you had to haul it down going into the next turn and as I said it is a heavy car and if you are coming into a hairpin you are going from150 to 40 in a really short space. I think that is why they never really took off in road racing, Too much of a change I never drove it on the street but talking to a lot of people that have them they are a blast for drifting and burnouts in driving style to make it work. Basically they are good for turning good tires into bad tires very quickly.
    But I saw in Haggerty I think it was there is a guy who has 25 or 30 of them. Every color of every model made for every year it was made!! Now THAT is dedication to a car, AND a LOT of disposable income.

This is the guy I was talking about above.
    https://www.hagerty.com/media/market...-bill-blewett/

But I found this one while looking for that article I found this one, 80 Vipers! And all driven regularly.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ollection.html
    one good thing about them was like my c6 z06 they didnt (at least the older ones) have all the granny traction and stability control bs. it was controled by something between your ears

Boolit Master
    This one was a 92 or 93 and I don't remember any traction controls. If they were there they were disabled. Traction controls are the only reason you are able to get super high horsepower cars and drive them on the street. Traction controls are also why modern drag cars can turn such low times. Watch these guys programming there computers some time. It is amazing to watch, they can control the power to the ground through the timing, boost controls, transmission torque converter, throttle control. All to perfectly match the track with the driver just flat footing the pedal before the lights even come down. We did all of this wat back when with our ears and foot. And experience.

Banned

and we won races not our car or our tuner
    We did all of this wat back when with our ears and foot. And experience.

Boolit Master
    Or lost. LOL. Amen to that.

Moderator Emeritus

Friend of mine could set Ford timing by ear... he won a lot of races...

Moderator Emeritus

Since we have a bunch of gear heads having a conversation here, I have a question.
    (first, I am not a gearhead)

Back in the Day, I inherited a stock 71 olds with a 455 CI engine, the air cleaner cover said 455 Rocket.
    since then, I've seen other Oldsmobiles of that era with the moniker 350 Rocket.

So, the question is, Was the name Rocket just a marketing thing, or was there something special/unique to the Rocket over other standard GM engines?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Last edited by skeettx; 05-27-2023 at 12:05 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Thanks for the info, both link were great...but I especially liked the Vintage video Road Test.

My fave part of the video was 3:40 and on.
    Mentioning, "Camber compensation system which helps with high speed cornering and minimizing the effects of heavy cross winds on the highway"
    ...LOL, I don't recall heavy cross winds effecting my 4300 pound Boat although, maybe a little bit, once I got over 90 mph?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

back in the day i had buddys who would tell you the rocket 350 was a better motor then the small block chev and its only real downfall was lack of aftermarket support. if you could go back in time with a bunch on nitrous it would be one of the best motors to use LOTS on.

Boolit Master
    In the 50's the Olds was THE motor to use in hot rods. I am not, and never was, an Oldsmobile fan so I know little about them but I do know some of the hot rods I have worked on in my shop with those mills in them ran very well. Then again, so did flat head Fords.

Boolit Master
    A bit of thread drift
    As a garage project in the middle of Alaska
    a crate 302 with a marine cam spinning a Hamilton jet
    will make an old river boat fly.
    The price is right, and everybody has parts.

Moderator Emeritus

My first car was an 1969 Olds Delta 88 4 door hard top... 455 4 barrel 8mpg gas pig! And tire melter!!! Absolutely slow in a race... but it could do block long burnouts! I told dad I wanted a car, he said go buy your own. So I did... he regretted it... complained the street in front of the house looked like a drag strip launch pad...

Boolit Master

I've had a lot of 60's and 70's muscle cars over the years.

My fastest car ever was a `65 GTO that I paid $1700 for in 1987. The factory 389 V8 was replaced with a Pontiac 428 that had been rebuilt with 10.5:1 pistons, an Isky "Fireball" cam, headers, Edelbrock Torker manifold, Holley "Double-pumper" 850 carb, and upgraded ignition. It had a Muncie M-22 4spd and 4.11 gears. It was a low 11's car in the 1/4-mile.

Never put it on a dyno, but the 428 was factory-rated at 390hp. With the mods done and the 1/4-mile times, we figured it was around 500hp.

Attachment 314529

At one time, I really wanted to find an old 70's Dodge Ramcharger 2wd with the removable top and hot rod it. I learned of a very impressive motor that was relatively cheap to build.

The motor is the 452 Stroker. You take a Plymouth 400 big block and install a 440 crankshaft, bore it .030, and you get 452 ci. It's reportedly a great combo with lots of torque and great mid-range power.

But, those old Ramchargers are so rare now, I'd hate to cut one up. But, a shortbed W100 pickup from the 70's would be almost as cool.

Attachment 314530
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast