Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: high HP crate engines

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I know 2 twin brothers with FOUR 427 Mustang Mach Ones, a 427 in a Pinto(full on dragster...), and a shelf with 10 spare engines... they have a total of 28 Mustangs... all of them in mint condition!
    I've heard of and seen some wild engine combo's. Saw an old Renault, not even as big a car as the VW Beetle with a 389 Pontiac nex to the driver. Had a friend while in the service that had a 406 Ford in a MG.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Although I'm not a car guy, there is one car from the 60s that is my dream car. That would be the mid 60s 427 side oiler Shelby Cobra. Even a lowly 289 version would do.
    if you could afford that you could afford to have someone cast for you and post for you here

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    I've heard of and seen some wild engine combo's. Saw an old Renault, not even as big a car as the VW Beetle with a 389 Pontiac nex to the driver. Had a friend while in the service that had a 406 Ford in a MG.
    I saw a 455 Toranado transaxle in the back seat of a Corvair once. Looked like a real white knuckle ride.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I saw a 455 Toranado transaxle in the back seat of a Corvair once. Looked like a real white knuckle ride.
    That would be a Kelmark conversion and they were actually quite stable considering it was now a midengined car.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I met a guy that put a 327 small block chevy in a bike frame. What a ride.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, if I could afford a real Cobra I wouldn't have to do much of anything myself. Never cared for the mustang though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Yeah, if I could afford a real Cobra I wouldn't have to do much of anything myself. Never cared for the mustang though.
    not a ford guy myself. matter of fact the word detest comes to mind. that said id allow a gt 500 (a real gt), boss 429 or a boss 302 or maybe a real nice 69 mach 1 in my garage. cobras too but there shelbys with ford motors not fords with shelby stickers. thing is out of all those the mach 1 is the only one i could afford and it would have to be about given to me because there are just to many cars out there for mustang money that id rather have

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    I met a guy that put a 327 small block chevy in a bike frame. What a ride.
    Look up the Michigan Madman, E J Potter. The first guy to put a V8 on a bike frame.

Years later you have the Boss Hoss, Factory built modified small blocks on bike frames. You can also get one with a 502 big block. I rode one and they are actually pretty nice to ride, torque steer can be a bit excessive. Rear tires need replacing quite often and they pass everything but gas stations. Mileage is not all that bad but you can only put so much gas on a motorcycle.

Boolit Grand Master
    The one car from my youth that I never had (was this close!!) was a 71 (preferred) or 72 GTO with a 455 HO.
    My sister was looking for a GT500 way back when (60's)but couldn't find one, so settled for a 67 fuelie corvette. She had it for a few years, but after all the tickets and other stuff, dad took it away and sold it. Sis never forgave him for that!!

Friend put a 327 in his CJ5. Scary to ride in that thing!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    The one car from my youth that I never had (was this close!!) was a 71 (preferred) or 72 GTO with a 455 HO.
    My sister was looking for a GT500 way back when (60's)but couldn't find one, so settled for a 67 fuelie corvette. She had it for a few years, but after all the tickets and other stuff, dad took it away and sold it. Sis never forgave him for that!!

Friend put a 327 in his CJ5. Scary to ride in that thing!!
    we called them the big scoop goats. i liked them myself but my favorite gto's were the judges. a gto probably sparked my love for muscle. my dad was never into cars but he had a buddy who was. he owned a beautiful 64 gto that he took the 389 out of (it was still sitting in his garage. he took a 421 built it and put tri power on it. one day dad and i stopped over and i asked if i could sit in it. he said ill do better then that. hop in and ill take you 4for a ride. he ran it hard threw the gears and i swear i lost my virginity to that car at 13 years old and the one at 16 didnt count!! he still had it when i graduated and went in the service. couple years later i was home on leave and dad told me frank had died. i asked him where the car was and he told me his wife and daughter moved down south only a month after he died and dad didnt have a clue what they did with the car. sucked having a dad that want into cars!!

Tried the VF750F 'Intercepter' but feet didn't hit the ground. Limited to 750CC by Gov.
    Never owned a hot rod auto but worked on several as a kid. My experience with 100$ a month insurance killed that.
    Leaded gas didn't cause that much pollution but did coat the valves so the lasted longer. Not nearly as hazardous as the MTFE. And the oil companies knew it! Easy/cheap way to get rid of it from oil.
    Whatever!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    not a ford guy myself. matter of fact the word detest comes to mind. that said id allow a gt 500 (a real gt), boss 429 or a boss 302 or maybe a real nice 69 mach 1 in my garage. cobras too but there shelbys with ford motors not fords with shelby stickers. thing is out of all those the mach 1 is the only one i could afford and it would have to be about given to me because there are just to many cars out there for mustang money that id rather have
    Wasn't so much the car, well it wasn't the car, it was Henry Ford himself. He was a friend of Hitler and I believe he was Anti-Semitic. He was the last auto maker to cave into the Union. It's not clear if his right hand man, the henchman, actually murderes any Union people. He also treated his son like crap. Thus my distaste for Ford, that and it was Chevy's number enemy. Would I mind having an old vintage muscle Ford? Hell yeah.

Banned

i guess the better question isnt why do we need this power? its how many of you want to go back to the 7os and 80s when 175hp v8s got 10mpg in a short box standard cab pickup that was lighter and no bigger then a mid size truck today. pull your boat or camper with a 175 hp and drum brakes!! NO THANKS

Boolit Master
    I look back on some of the cars I had and got rid of and I kick myself on a regular basis. Being a semi-pro and then a pro driver I got to drive other peoples "junk", as they said. Most of which I could never afford to buy and definitely not afford to build and repair. I drove drag, dirt oval, SCCA road courses and off road racing. So with all of that I really did not need to have the best of the best. But I had some good ones. A 64 Impala SS with the 365 horse 327 Vette mill. A 71 Chevelle SS with the 402 Big Block. That could have been a 10.5 second car if I could have ever been able to get the power to the ground. I even bought one of my SCCA cars, an 84 Camaro Z28 with a blueprinted 355. That was an interesting one. From the outside it looked like an ordinary car but inside it had the full race cage and belts. In NJ they would not allow it through inspection since they called it an unsafe vehicle!!! I finally took it through special inspection and in order to be able to drive it legally I had to put factory seat belts in it. Amazing.
    I look at what they are driving on the street nowadays for these Race Week events and Speed week. 2,000 horsepower alcohol burners running open headers on the street and cops do not say anything? And with todays electronics you can have two tanks, one gas and one alcohol and run gas right up to the staging line and the computer switch's to alcohol and advances the timing 20 degrees in milliseconds. I wish I were driving the cars NOW!!!!!
    My daily driver nowadays is a 06 Mustang GT with a measly 600 HP. It never gets used to it's full potential but it is fun for passing once in a while. And yes, it is a 5 speed. Drop it down to 3rd at 55 and trounce on it and it incinerates the tires! Even at 70 I still smile when I do that, it never gets old. Don't smile all that much when I have to replace them but...................

The one car nobody has mentioned is the fastest street car off the line and up to somewhere in the 130-140 range............. The Tesla S. And it does so silently without spinning a tire!! The future is a quiet and boring place.

The crate engines are used a lot because they are cheaper to buy them than you can often build them yourself unless you have access to free parts and do you own machining. The components are well balanced, get excellent mileage for the horse power, they are also reliable. At least that has been my experience with the Chevy LS motors and 502 crate motors. My dad has a 700 HP Hellcat. He's wanting a Demon. I asked him why and he said, "you never can have too much horse power".
    Last edited by SoonerEd; 05-25-2023 at 11:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    The one car nobody has mentioned is the fastest street car off the line and up to somewhere in the 130-140 range............. The Tesla S. And it does so silently without spinning a tire!! The future is a quiet and boring place.
    Tesla is no longer the top dog:
    https://fortune.com/2023/03/21/dodge...n%20car%20made.
    East Tennessee

Banned
    64 Impala's are rust buckets especially if you live in the salt the road back N. East winter states. My one best friend had one with a 327, four speed, and 4:11 gears. He was sitting at a red light the frame all the sudden busted in multiple place and fell down on the pavement so hard it hurt his neck!! I bought the wife one and that friend told everything that would happen to it, or should I say fall off it, in the sequence they would happen. I never cared for the boxy look they had. I'd pick the 63 over the 64. Didn't care for that creased roofline either. About the only good thing about them is that you could get a 409 in them. How come we don't hear a lot about anyone souping up Chevy 348 engines and the Chevys they were in? I know they had a high compression engine with a big cam and Tri Power. 58's were a big let down, in my book, after the great 55, 56, and 57.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    I am talking production car, not some special order car with one seat. And I guarantee you the option for the other seats is one hell of a lot more than one dollar!!! Don't get me wrong, I do NOT like Tesla just because of who owns it but the fact of the matter is that you get a full blown all out luxury car that blows the doors off everything else out there. And something else to note on that Dodge is that the times they quote are for a car with special slicks on a prepped dragstrip. They tell you straight up you can never get those times on the street. The Tesla can get the same times no matter where due to it's all wheel drive and advanced traction control.

Boolit Master
    64's may be rust buckets now, I had mine in 1972. Now you can buy every single body part you ever need for most every old Chevy out there. Even new replacement frames.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    I look back on some of the cars I had and got rid of and I kick myself on a regular basis. Being a semi-pro and then a pro driver I got to drive other peoples "junk", as they said. Most of which I could never afford to buy and definitely not afford to build and repair. I drove drag, dirt oval, SCCA road courses and off road racing. So with all of that I really did not need to have the best of the best. But I had some good ones. A 64 Impala SS with the 365 horse 327 Vette mill. A 71 Chevelle SS with the 402 Big Block. That could have been a 10.5 second car if I could have ever been able to get the power to the ground. I even bought one of my SCCA cars, an 84 Camaro Z28 with a blueprinted 355. That was an interesting one. From the outside it looked like an ordinary car but inside it had the full race cage and belts. In NJ they would not allow it through inspection since they called it an unsafe vehicle!!! I finally took it through special inspection and in order to be able to drive it legally I had to put factory seat belts in it. Amazing.
    I look at what they are driving on the street nowadays for these Race Week events and Speed week. 2,000 horsepower alcohol burners running open headers on the street and cops do not say anything? And with todays electronics you can have two tanks, one gas and one alcohol and run gas right up to the staging line and the computer switch's to alcohol and advances the timing 20 degrees in milliseconds. I wish I were driving the cars NOW!!!!!
    My daily driver nowadays is a 06 Mustang GT with a measly 600 HP. It never gets used to it's full potential but it is fun for passing once in a while. And yes, it is a 5 speed. Drop it down to 3rd at 55 and trounce on it and it incinerates the tires! Even at 70 I still smile when I do that, it never gets old. Don't smile all that much when I have to replace them but...................

no real car guy cares about a singer sewing machine with wheels that hum's

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast