MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Value of grazing and farming?

Boolit Master

Value of grazing and farming?

I inherited my dad's place out in the country a month ago. I went out there the other day looking for ammo and noticed that there were cows in my pasture, grazing. I have no idea who owns them.

So I go onto the county GIS site to figure out who they belong to and I see that a large portion of my property is also being farmed, lol.

Attachment 315080

I'm assuming my dad had some sort of agreement with the neighbor, and I'm not too upset, but when I contact the neighbor, I would like to have an idea of what sort of value the little bit of grazing and farming has.

I plan on selling the property and buying a piece closer to town and not on a highway, and I'm sure the new owners will want to know why there are cows in their pasture and a tractor on their land.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Vendor Sponsor

That's a good looking piece of land! Looks like some is on the north side of road also?

I'm not a farmer, but interested in your findings from those that are...

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    My condolences on the loss of your father.

That's a nice track of land.
    Good idea to find out about the cows.
    Do they have an ear tag or brand mark???
    Owner could be traced by those.
    Maybe their special, cows and can talk.

Any idea how many acres are being farmed? And the same question with the pasture. I would expect your dad had a rental agreement which could be verbal or written. Your local Farm Service Agency could have information. Little farming goes on that the US Government does not have a track on.

In a perfect world there would be a written contract. No one would be allowed on the farm without a contract specifying rents and length of contract. We opted for a 3 year contract to slow down the potential of a guy coming in and farming with no fertilizer and running the farm down to nothing. We had 50+ years to build soil fertility up, didn't need a deadbeat rob all the nutrients.

If you have a decent ag university there, they will in all likelihood have data in place by the couny, divided by potential crop/pasture, tiled and irrigated.

Michigan State University here had all the data I needed to be able to negotiate what I thought was the best per acre rate I could get.

The last rent negotiations was interesting, the guy renting it wanted a rent reduction based on commodity and imput prices. I had hard numbers of what similar land was being rented for.

We settled on continuing the same rate for the next 3 years. With out the hard data it would have been hard to hold the line.

He ended up buying the tillable ground after my mother died in 2020.

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Leasing out farm/grazing land is real common.

My Mom inherited a piece of land in the Texas Hill Country.
    She leased it to her brother for $100. a year. For 60 acres, with the agricultural exemption, the tax on it was $60. a year.
    Back in the 80s, she got greedy and pretty much wanted all of the money that came from the 36 goats wandering around on the place--
    with him providing the goats and doing all the work involved with them.....

So,,, her brother pulled the goats off. When the county plane flew over the next year and didn't see any farming/ranching going on.
    She lost the exemption, and her tax bill that year was a little over $1,000.
    The place went from agricultural production to 'investment property'.
    The next year, getting $100. Making $40. instead of paying over a thousand didn't seem like such a bad deal after all.

Your Dad may have been doing the same sort of thing.

The cows should have some sort of registry tag pinned through their ear with a number on it.
    They are registered somewhere.
    The county people can tell you who belongs to a cow with a given number tag.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 06-15-2023 at 05:57 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    If you are not "One of Those" (a vegetarian ), and depending on the acreage involved, a side of beef and keeping the fences in excellent shape might be a decent lease fee... Have a friend in Western Tennessee doing that with a 40-acre plot.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    In a perfect world ..........
    Also in a perfect world the lines shown on the County GIS would match up with the actual property ownership lines.
    Around here, many times they are sorta close, most times not so much.

If you don’t know the neighbors. Stop in and introduce yourself. I come from a farm background and bet the neighbors miss you dad too. Since it appears do don’t know what business arrangements he may have made, if there is no written documents. Ask the neighbor, by and large folks in agriculture are honest forthright folks. And you will get the straight info. Be upfront that you don’t know. If your dad lived there for a long time most of the neighbors know the others business. If you let it be known you’re thinking of selling and you’re likely to be overwhelmed with meal invitations for folks looking to buy. Word of warning come across as an overbearing town jerk and you will find a chilly atmosphere.
    Last edited by Rockingkj; 06-15-2023 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    If you are not "One of Those" (a vegetarian ), and depending on the acreage involved, a side of beef and keeping the fences in excellent shape might be a decent lease fee... Have a friend in Western Tennessee doing that with a 40-acre plot.
    Around here(south east Michigan), that would literally be giving the farm away. $100/acre for junk land, highest I've heard recently was one guy who was offering $250/acre. If it's any kind of acreage, it should certainly pay the taxes.

Share cropping it, on 1/3's, 2/3 to the farmer, 1/3 to the land owner will yield $300-400 an acre on average yields.

Shares cropping is getting less common, and you need a farmer you can trust.

When I was sharecropping, I let the grain elevator do the division. I delivered all grain from the farm to the elevator with instructions on the division, with the elevator cutting the check to the land owner.

There were guys that would guesstimate bushels out of the field. I suspect their division had a lot in kin to the butcher's thumb.
    Last edited by 15meter; 06-15-2023 at 07:41 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

1/3 used to be common for the landowner for crops. Cattle get rated in AU, animal units like cow/calf pairs and ewes/ 2 lambs. Rate should be per month and mutually agreed on for the grass season.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Look in your Dad's papers to see if he had a written lease agreement. All depends how he did business. Personally, I always had a lease stating the acreage of tillable acres/pasture, amount being charged per acre, total and when it was to be paid. I leased our farmland out for many years and the rent paid the property taxes. If you can't find a lease, then start going through his bank statements for a deposit that is around what farmland is leasing for in your area and then find out from the bank as to who wrote the check. If your Dad did business on a word and a handshake, then start with the neighboring farmers - someone will know who is renting it. This is why people need to make sure they have information written down and their ducks in a row for those who will be their Administrator or Trustee. If he didn't;t do it, then put your detective hat on and do the footwork to find the answers. Along with an inheritance goes the responsibility and that includes all that is involved with the acreage he left you. If the cattle didn't belong to him, they belong to someone - but you own the property and the fences and it is now your job to insure that your fences are in good repair. If one or more of those cattle get out and someone hits them and gets injured, your cattle or not, you'll soon find out just what your share of the responsibility is.

Boolit Master
    Leasing is common here in Texas to preserve the ag exemption. My wife and I live on 12 acres and 11 are in hay production - it really pays off if you can establish or keep the ag valuation. My neighbor has 10 acres and pays market value - her taxes are 10 times higher. We bought the place 30 years ago with the exemption in place and I’ve managed to preserve the ag usage. It’s saved us many thousands of tax dollars over the years.

More than likely, your dad leased the place to the neighbors for the same reason.

Here in the Valley good farmland sells for 3500 to 5000$ an acre and rents for 55 to 75$ per acre per year.

Depends on quality of land and condition, and what you can raise on it. Grazing land much less of course.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

contact your local ag extension office, they will have current rental ratesfor your area for cows and land. around here it runs about a dollar to a dollar twenty per animal unit per day, so 20 cows would be about 25 bucks a day. farm ground goes for 20 to 30 per acre cash rent
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

I wouldn't sell. That's a nice bit of heaven.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Lol, it’s a small property in a place you don’t want, so agree 100% with selling to get what you do want.

With that in mind you’ll be needing a survey, and I’d arrange that before speaking with the farmers so you have facts. I might also check to see if there are any encumbrances filed on the property, seems unlikely but best to know before you sell. Your sales agent could look, so no work for you.

When speaking to the farmers, not suggesting that you go in guns blazing and waiving the survey in their faces, for all you know the guy has a 99 year lease, just politely ask what the agreement was. You don’t strike me as a guy looking to make trouble, so I’m sure it’ll be fine.

Boolit Grand Master
    Also, check the laws as far as oral contracts go. Some states may have a limit on how long an oral contract can go on agricultural land. Might be only a year at the most.

Boolit Master

Don't forget, whoever those cow's belong to might be your buyer. Keep it friendly, its obvious your dad had some sort of relationship with them.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    Also in a perfect world the lines shown on the County GIS would match up with the actual property ownership lines.
    Around here, many times they are sorta close, most times not so much.
    On the online GIS map my western property line is 10' inside my living room! Eastern line is in the middle of the farmers field... not accurate at all!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast