Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cap maker

Vendor Sponsor

This is a very informative topic. Thanks to all of you who help make it so!
    I shoot C&B revolvers and use a lot of caps. Please remind me, was there a reference to plans somewhere for turning one out on a lathe? For the fun of it, I would like to adapt one to a 7/8-14 press based tool. I think the basic function is like a gas check maker.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I do not have a plan to build the Uniformer on a lathe.
    I don't work off Plans.
    I just build things as I go.
    But the Uniformer would be a 7/8 -14 threaded rod or bolt.
    The sizing hole is usually the size of a #7 drill bit , .201" dia.
    The sizing hole does have a slight Taper so it is easier to start the caps into the sizer.
    The driving punch I use has a shank about .195" dia.
    With the tip where the cap slips on is about .165" dia.
    Now all sizes can vary because of the type of material you are using.
    The sizes I mentioned work good for the caps I make with double layer of soda cans.
    Last edited by LAGS; 07-09-2023 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    This is a very informative topic. Thanks to all of you who help make it so!
    I shoot C&B revolvers and use a lot of caps. Please remind me, was there a reference to plans somewhere for turning one out on a lathe? For the fun of it, I would like to adapt one to a 7/8-14 press based tool. I think the basic function is like a gas check maker.
    "Was Colorado, Wyoming now", I think I need to follow you!
    Vietnam Veteran (68-69), NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Mr Chill Wills Are you wanting to make a cap maker ? One that mounts on a reloading press? There are plans here if you have the ability to make it. It's also possible to make the Cap Maker work on a drill press and a reloading press. I have done both with my cap maker. The drill press is fairly easy and produces a lot of cups fast . A rate of 500 to 600 per hour is easy. The reloading press takes more know how but is worth doing.

Where are the plans for the drill press?
    Vietnam Veteran (68-69), NRA Life Member

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by n.h.schmidt View Post
    Mr Chill Wills Are you wanting to make a cap maker ? One that mounts on a reloading press? There are plans here if you have the ability to make it.
    Yes, thanks! I intend to make a press mounted cap maker on the lathe.

If I could see the pound type, hold it, or see a set of prints or plans, I would start in on it. I just need to see the working concept to get my brain going. I don't want to reinvent the wheel so to speak. I am imagining both cutting a disk and cupping in one stroke and want to see how others have done it.

Trinidad Bill, Yes, Colorado since 1954 and it just became too stupid to endure any longer. It is still a great state physically, just too many people and their unsustainable politics. We (correctly) aren't supposed to be political here on Boolits, and I respect that so enough of that here. I have friends in Trinidad and Raton and will be there Thursday to Monday at the WC.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Bub
    Mr Chill Wills Are you wanting to make a cap maker ? One that mounts on a reloading press? There are plans here if you have the ability to make it. It's also possible to make the Cap Maker work on a drill press and a reloading press. I have done both with my cap maker. The drill press is fairly easy and produces a lot of cups fast . A rate of 500 to 600 per hour is easy. The reloading press takes more know how but is worth doing.
    Where are the plans to adapt to reloading press THX

I’m kinda shocked that a press mounted option isn’t commercially available. 22 reloader needs to expand his product line.

I use my Hollywood turret press to make caps, I use it basically as an arbor press. One of the dies is rested on the lower turret for shell holders. I position the main turret between dies for the other die. Position of dies isn’t important. It works very well with concentric cups.

Boolit Buddy
    Idz In entry no24 of this thread gives his cap maker plans. It's as good as it gets too. No plans exist for using the cap maker from 22reloader on a drill press or reloading press. I just used the LAR (looks about right) style of changes. I have pictures of the drill press mounting. They are in my PC that is not working at this time.

Vendor Sponsor

n.h.schmidt, thanks. I can poke around, do some research, and get the basic idea of how to punch out cups. I am in no rush. When things slow down in late fall, I can try to make prototypes to see how it might best be designed. Thanks for the reply.

In the meantime, if anyone else has some leads on one operation cup making, please pass it on.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

I suppose one could make up something similar to the 22 RELOADER cap maker, but invert it so that the base screws into the reloading press and the cap punch could be mounted on the ram so that the caps fall out the bottom like de-caped primers. Should speed up the production a bit as you would only need to feed the sheet metal into the tool with one hand and crank the ram with the other.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Yes it can be done that way. I have seen it .So it will work. That would be like Forresters auto-cap press mounted die set. I considered it and could not picture how to hold the die body to cut threads. What you have to hold on is is only the short top part and that is almost cut in half. I set mine up the other way. The die body is in the ram and the punch is in the top.

Boolit Master
    Just an idea if you want to build up the body on a 22 Reloader cap maker so you can cut in threads for mounting it in a Reloader press.
    Put it into a plastic tube and fill the tube with epoxy like JB weld.
    When hardened then you will have a shaft shape to put in the lathe.
    After threading.
    You will have to clean out the slot for the metal plate.
    You will probably have to fill the interior of the forming shaft with floral clay to keep the epoxy out of the former shaft.
    It is a method of Glass Bedding I use to make lots of stuff.

Boolit Bub
    Yes it can be done that way. I have seen it .So it will work. That would be like Forresters auto-cap press mounted die set. I considered it and could not picture how to hold the die body to cut threads. What you have to hold on is is only the short top part and that is almost cut in half. I set mine up the other way. The die body is in the ram and the punch is in the top.
    Yep, mines that I bought is exactly like that.

Boolit Buddy
    Dark Vaj You are a little short on detail. Could you explain?

Boolit Bub
    Dark Vaj You are a little short on detail. Could you explain?
    The die body has threads to be threaded on a reloading press and the punch is made to fit in the ram of the press, the cap maker is threaded upside down and as you pull the handle down, a cap is formed and falls down through punch and since I have a lee classic cast, it goes neatly into the tube! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHO00002.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	316970 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHO00001.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	316971 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHO00000.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	316972

Boolit Bub
    Sorry about the quality of the photos, I'm using a chinese made generic go pro camera. The pics show should give you an idea of what it looks like. It's way superior to a hammer pounding.
    Last edited by Dark Vaj; 08-13-2023 at 09:25 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    I’m kinda shocked that a press mounted option isn’t commercially available. 22 reloader needs to expand his product line.
    Same here. Everybody who reloads has at least a single stage reloading press or one of the lee "hand press." Which I do happen to have but I do prefer the bench press instead unless of course one like to gain some "guns" on their arms. XD

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Just an idea if you want to build up the body on a 22 Reloader cap maker so you can cut in threads for mounting it in a Reloader press.
    Put it into a plastic tube and fill the tube with epoxy like JB weld.
    When hardened then you will have a shaft shape to put in the lathe.
    After threading.
    You will have to clean out the slot for the metal plate.
    You will probably have to fill the interior of the forming shaft with floral clay to keep the epoxy out of the former shaft
    It is a method of Glass Bedding I use to make lots of stuff.
    It is this "interior" I could use some additional detail on. I really have no idea what to cut on the inside to form the cup in one stroke. A drawing (cut-a-way) of the inside would help. I can't in-vision the shapes and motion needed to both cut the disk and then "cup" it in one stroke. ...And, I assume it would fall out the top?
    Chill Wills

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast