MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon reloading problem

Boolit Master

Dillon reloading problem

I haven’t loaded anything with lg pistol primers in a couple years, and it’s time to load 45acp. Setting the press goes great, but the primer pickup tubes are driving me nuts. Primers are getting tilted and jammed in the tube, they bunch up between the green plastic pickup tip and the aluminum tube. Have never had this problem before. CCI LPPs.

Dillon is sending some new tubes and tips under warranty, and I ordered some more as well. Hope the newer ones work.

Anyone have a similar problem?

Moderator Emeritus
    It sounds like the tube is not fully seated.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    Exactly, but that’s not it. If I look in the pickup tip I can clearly see that there is not a smooth transition to the tube, I see a ring of the aluminum tube. It’s like the inside of the tip should have more material at the junction. The issue is with about ten tubes and I’ve replaced the tips on the tubes, the replacements are the same vintage as the originals though and don’t resolve the problem. At this time I have 4 tubes with an unknown number of primers jammed in them, removing the tips does not allow them to fall out with shaking and tapping.

Try cleaning your primer tubes with a long pipe cleaner, or perhaps spray some brake parts cleaner through them. It might help, then again it might not. Just a suggestion on my part.
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

the plastic tips are always flaky... a poor design that they don't fix... new tips often and chamfer the tube end ID a bit helps... toss them when you have to struggle... consider them a consumable part... any bends in the tube will make it more trouble than it is worth... single biggest problem with Dillon stuff, but they will get salty if you mention it...

Boolit Master
    Cleaning didn’t help. One tube I’ve chamfered and it helps, but not perfect by a long shot. Small primer pickups remain perfect.

They are replacing some of them under warranty, and I bought a 4 pack, so if the new ones work I’ll trash the old ones if new tips don’t make them work.

When the tips wear or get damaged it is hard to see the problem, a new tip is often the cure.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
    When the tips wear or get damaged it is hard to see the problem, a new tip is often the cure.
    Have about 10 spare tips, have tried them plenty.

The great news is that few people seem to have the same problem, so I don’t really need to figure this out, just buy new ones and it should be fine.

Boolit Master

I agree with garandsrus--if the tip is not tight against the end of the tube there is room (diameter) for the primers to cock and get jammed there. once in the tube, there isn't enough room for them to turn

I put the plastic tip loosely in a vice on its shoulder and tap lightly with a hammer to set it
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Okay, fine, now I'm gonna break out the bore scope.

Moderator Emeritus
    I don’t think a SP or SR primer can get sideways in a small primer tube. I have loaded small primers in a large primer tube by accident and of course it was a mess and they jammed. It sounds like you recognize the difference in the tubes though, so that probably is not the problem.

I know you said you haven’t changed primer tubes in a while. You do need to rotate the tube until it is in the correct orientation to seat fully. That is the purpose of the tab on the primer tube. This only applies to the Dillon 550, of course. The 650 tubes are different.

Boolit Master
    I don’t think a SP or SR primer can get sideways in a small primer tube. I have loaded small primers in a large primer tube by accident and of course it was a mess and they jammed. It sounds like you recognize the difference in the tubes though, so that probably is not the problem.

I know you said you haven’t changed primer tubes in a while. You do need to rotate the tube until it is in the correct orientation to seat fully. That is the purpose of the tab on the primer tube. This only applies to the Dillon 550, of course. The 650 tubes are different.
    No problems with small primers.
    Yes I did check the tube sizes, a large primer won’t fit in a small primer pickup tube, so it’d be a hard stop.
    The issue I’m having is with the primer pickup tubes, not with the primer tube on the press.

Boolit Buddy
    I had the same issue once , and it turn out the pickup tip was not seated all the way ,those tips are very tight on the tube . I put a drip of gun oil on the tube end and rub in with my finger then push the tip on against the side of the bench . Never had a primer hang up in the tube ever since

Boolit Buddy
    Same as oldsman here. Chamfered the tube and smoothed that transition point....made sure the tip was flush seated and no problems since.

Moderator Emeritus
    I haven’t used the normal pickup tubes in a long time. This works great: https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/rel...me/855712.html

Boolit Master
    I haven’t used the normal pickup tubes in a long time. This works great: https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/rel...me/855712.html
    Going to order one now! Reviews are spotty, but worth a shot.

Hmmmm. I may have to get one of those for my Green Prochucker 7. I hate pickup tubes. $70 would be worth it if there's no other problems. Curious to find out how JimB will like it.

Here in dry New Mexico, one has to be very careful with stacked tubes......and I NEVER carry them across the room. Too much static, especially in the winter.
    Last edited by GWS; 05-22-2023 at 12:51 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Going to order one now! Reviews are spotty, but worth a shot.
    $20 cheaper on Amazon and free 2-day shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Ars...s%2C508&sr=8-1
    jmo,
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried one I could not get it to feed the tube consistently , primer kept getting stuck in the orifice . I am useing the double alpha
    one now , much better than the frankford one . the double alpha is the vibrating tray model . now I use the frankford for vibrating buffer into shot shells

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsman View Post
    I tried one I could not get it to feed the tube consistently , primer kept getting stuck in the orifice . I am useing the double alpha
    one now , much better than the frankford one . the double alpha is the vibrating tray model . now I use the frankford for vibrating buffer into shot shells
    I’ve looked at this on the past, but small primer only.
    https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/daa-primer-pro-collator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast