Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help! I need a fast growing thorny something

Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    Point of order or just a rambling thought , IF they do not enforce real laws on the homeless then how could they enforce rules or laws on a fence?
    Seems dereliction of duty would be involved if they did ?

I know the democrats that ignore our laws plan on total chaos in the long run !
    That's also a good point but unless and until the trespassing problem can be made a problem for those who are choosing to not enforce the trespassing laws then nothing will happen.

Figure out a way to make it their problem. That's when something will get done.

Had a back fence problem. Planted Pyracantha Espalier, it has thorns about 1 1/2 long, if they stick in, the tip breaks off in you, leaves a lasting memory. Plants the full length of an 8' double plank privacy fence. Planted it all across the fence, wired it and staple gunned the runners to the fence, it is a climbing vine like plant, no more problem. You can not go through or over it. No one got near it. Planted it inside, so no one could spray it , kill it or cut it. Climbing the fence droppd you in it. Nature's Constantia wire.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Planted Pyracantha Espalier
    Something I will look at after I get the fence up. I bought a heavy 6' securiity fence roll at the scrap for $80. Weighs 237 lbs. Almost new and it looks to be at least 50'. That closes one area then I will use barbed wire for loops along the top of the 4' fence all around the rest for starters. For what I have to do in the front it will require city approval, I want to fence off where I park. I saw the ******* again today, coming through the next yard, and they are giving him a ride sometimes so they are fools too.

I think I'm asking the doc to help calm me down, this situation has me more than angry. Thumpers and beer baby, what a mix. lol.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master
    These are mostly stuff you can dig up.

Trifoliate roses
    Trifoliate orange
    Osage orange
    Black locust - the wild thorny ones
    Honey locust - the wild thorny ones
    Wild bramble - raspberry/blackberry whichever is native.
    Gooseberry
    Crown of thorns

Add wild plum and flowering pear for winter time thorny.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Blackberries! They grow fast and multiply. They are are different from raspberries because the thorns grow in the opposite direction. With raspberries you can easily pull away. With Blackberries the more you pull, the further they go in.

Boolit Master
    I'm for blackberry. They grow fast and handle most climates and produce great tasting berries. They grow 6 to 8 feet tall then the tops bend over and head for the ground where they bury the tip and start another plant. They also drop berries and pop up new plants. The thorns are curved toward the base of the plant so it's easy to stick your arm in but not so easy to pull it back out. I have about a 10' row of them in my berry garden and got carved up just trying to carefully trim out the dead stuff.

Boolit Master

Too bad you can find a cold tolerant Bougainvillea to plant.

Boolit Master
    black berry and raspberry
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Banned

yup wild roses. did some up and plant a few thet will spread rapidly

Boolit Master
    I guess live wires and electric cattle zappers are out also?

Whatever you decide to plant, fertilize it with liquid hog manure.

Boolit Master
    Get a Rottweiler.

Boolit Master

Above an electric fencer was mentioned I have had one on my bird feeder for two years now to dissuade the local bear from damaging it . It seems to do the job and the wire going down the pole almost to the ground keeps squirrels and coon of as well but.....Just yesterday for the first time it got me when filling the bird feeder . It did not feel like an electrical shock and I have been zapped a number of times. It felt more like a hard impact to the entire body and only my thumb hit the conductor and of coarse my feet were the other end of the circuit .

A few years ago the wood pole to the feeder broke causing the death of the raccoon on the feeder as it fell on it . I was thinking metal pole but had some 4" PVC pipe I used about 9 feet 4 in the ground and 5 feet above . This wad filled with cement and one 7 foot cast iron fence T-Post . A bear attack made it lean and damaged the feeder mounts into the cement . I replaced the top foot of cement with a vinyl containing patch cement then electrified it and all has been well .

For some reason a memory came up of a lady I worked with in the early 1980's she had a house in Pontiac Michigan and asked me to get hear some bearing grease in a gallon plastic bag . She had trouble with the local "youth" jumping her fence and running though her back yard and greased the pole on the top of the 48" cyclone fence . She said it was great entertainment sitting by the window watching the fools fall when trying to jump the fence a couple got injured but it was a different time . Today she would probably be liable or have her house shot up!
    One kids mother wanted her to pay for his new coat but the police laughed at her and my coworker said she had no idea where the grease came from .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Moderator Emeritus

Motion activated sprayers of skunk pee...

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Motion activated sprayers of skunk pee...
    Until they hit his dogs.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    The ditch is a runoff from several hundred yards away and it pools when the city drain is overloaded, nearly every rain. This is just too nasty for me to enjoy berries from there, there is a black walnut tree along the way, they never taste good. If I planted the berries, the idiots would be along in the fall to pick them.

I like the spraying idea, but probably won't use skunk, they are close here too. Maybe combine pepper spray with marking die, for now just the orange tape and piled brush has stopped them. That won't last long. A 6' fence, barbed wire loops and electric wire is my plan. I still want to sit in the tree and wait though. .
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master

Daengmei Check your states laws on pepper spray I had kids getting in garage at my last house to smoke and stuff disappeared too! I set up a mix of ground dried habanero peppers and black powder to discourage them and it did! Some year later when Michigan reformed carry laws I was reading though our laws and found out what I did was actually a felony! One for the trip wire (booby trap) and the other for the pepper gas .
    When I did a test of this stuff there was a feral cat in the garage it was run out by the test and as far as I know did not return.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Check your states laws
    I intend to talk to the city folks and know exactly what I can do. I really want to add pink and yellow to someones selfies.

Boolit Grand Master

Is there a reason you can't fence the front sides of your property? HOA Rule?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    If this is the front of your property, how will planting anything do much unless you have a locked gate at your drive?

We looked at a powered gate but we get a lot of deliveries and that makes a gate a bother to deal with.
    Don Verna

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast