Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help! I need a fast growing thorny something

Stinging nettle would get their attention if wearing shorts particularly. Completely ineffective in winter, though.

Think you've missed the opportunity for this season, but maybe put in the Honey Locust now and add the nettle in the fall?

That would be a NASTY combination.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Multi-flora roses. Nasty thorns.
    In the meantime, would not your dogs volunteer stinky landmines to place appropriately.? Inconvenient but not illegal.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Add hawthornes to the mix . Made the mistake of planting some(actually my bride's doings !) from the Arbor Day folks a few years back, finally tall enough I can cut all the lower branches off to mow around 'em (she won't let me cut 'em down !)

What ever the briar patch in 'Uncle Remus' used - Br'er Rabbit hid there.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by daengmei View Post
    I have homeless idiots crossing my property. We cannot fence forward of the house and that leaves the front entirely open for those who need to wander. In the past, I have seen footprints in the snow right up to my truck window. Just last week I saw an image in my camera, this fool ran through my yard, having jumped the fence. Then 4 gunshots rang out not 50 feet away in the street. I am always armed nowdays and can't leave the wife alone in the garden anymore even with a pit bull and beagle.

I can plant bushes and I want to know what will grow fastest and leave a thorny wall of growth. I remember the rose, thorny vine stuff that was used around cattle in WV and that crap was indeed thick and impenetrable but I don't know what it is. I want to hang an Ohio River trotline, for drying you know, but jail is not fun. I need about 40' in 2 different spots.

I have cameras that might leave an identifiable pic, but the fence jumper had no face, so I want to stop them somehow. I am quite positive who it was and I gave him fair warning that I know someone was in my yard. This same fellow I saw him pushing on a guy smaller than my wife and he is aout 6'3 and young. Just a matter of time, he has told others he was gonna **** them up and then the pushing.

Just today I had to tell another to get out, and made it a point to let him see a 1911 in my hip pocket. They cross a fence in my neighbors back yard and walk right through mine. I'm ready for jail, lol.

What to plant? Just south of Louisville Ky.
    If I were in your shoes, the question wouldn't be what to plant. The question would be "where should I move to?"

Boolit Master
    "where should I move to?"
    Soon as possible.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master

Frankly you do not need to plant things you need to change some government that allows the lawlessness!
    I do not think moving will be a cure anymore as the same problem seems to be spreading to many areas .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by daengmei View Post
    I have homeless idiots crossing my property. We cannot fence forward of the house and that leaves the front entirely open for those who need to wander.

<<<SNIP
    Previously I posted my suggestion of prickly Ash and Buckthorn.
    But, the more I think about your problem, I've come to a conclusion that a different tack needs to be taken, especially since your fence rules or laws. If the same authorities are fine with administering the law against you about a fence, but not with the homeless and their trespassing/vandalizing/discharging firearms. Then maybe a little reverse psychology is in order. Maybe setup a few tents in the front yard, put a sleeping bag and a box of wine in each tent. Make friends with these homeless winos...chances are the winos will leave you alone or maybe even protect your property? if you keep leaving wine for them, but will drive the neighbors nuts. Maybe the authorities will do something when they get constant calls from the neighbors?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

If you go with JonBs idea you better add a porta potty to the set up.

Boolit Master
    Feed the weeds.
    Broad cast slow release 10-10-10 along the border and you will have a long jungle quickly.
    I had a lawn on a curve, the snowplow would plow rocks so I couldn't mow.
    So I didn't mow, but fed it and by summers end had a hedge.
    The plow driver winged the hedge, but that just made it stronger, and full of rocks.
    Every spring, more 10-10-10, clip the hedge chest high so it doesn't get leggy
    and you will have a barrier a dog can't get through.

Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    Frankly you do not need to plant things you need to change some government that allows the lawlessness!
    I do not think moving will be a cure anymore as the same problem seems to be spreading to many areas .
    Excellent point.

Boolit Master
    So far I have cut some locust limbs and piled it up in one crossing point. Piled other tree cuttings along the fence. I would like to use the larger locust for posts and fence the gap where I can. Got a roll of barbed wire to run higher up, try for 6'. I will be able to fence where I park along the side, you have to stop at the front edge, nothing in the front. I want to sit in the front maple with a crossbow, a thumper tip, a few cold ones and wait in the dark. But I won't for now.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Grand Master

Barb wire strung tight is no fun they can back right off it. Let loose or in coil it closes behind them and "follows" them when they try to back off it

Maybe add something to the ground in this hedgerow to cause stumbling. Something like large river rocks or large pieces of wood.
    Known traffic menace

Boolit Man
    I would install a lawn sprinkler system activated by a motion sensor. That would dampen their spirits.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Wild roses grow fast and are more dangerous than military concertina wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    Fairly fast growing.

Attachment 314236
    And good eating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Get some herbicide and plant some poison ivy. Could come back to bite you, but that’s what the herbicide is for. Post signs that you have poison ivy. But, if folks are really crazy, they’ll set it on fire and then someone is going to inhale the smoke. If it’s that bad, move to a red state.

Boolit Master

Point of order or just a rambling thought , IF they do not enforce real laws on the homeless then how could they enforce rules or laws on a fence?
    Seems dereliction of duty would be involved if they did ?

I know the democrats that ignore our laws plan on total chaos in the long run !
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

Point of order or just a rambling thought , IF they do not enforce real laws on the homeless then how could they enforce rules or laws on a fence?
    Seems dereliction of duty would be involved if they did ?

I know the democrats that ignore our laws plan on total chaos in the long run !