Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help! I need a fast growing thorny something

Boolit Master

Help! I need a fast growing thorny something

I have homeless idiots crossing my property. We cannot fence forward of the house and that leaves the front entirely open for those who need to wander. In the past, I have seen footprints in the snow right up to my truck window. Just last week I saw an image in my camera, this fool ran through my yard, having jumped the fence. Then 4 gunshots rang out not 50 feet away in the street. I am always armed nowdays and can't leave the wife alone in the garden anymore even with a pit bull and beagle.

I can plant bushes and I want to know what will grow fastest and leave a thorny wall of growth. I remember the rose, thorny vine stuff that was used around cattle in WV and that crap was indeed thick and impenetrable but I don't know what it is. I want to hang an Ohio River trotline, for drying you know, but jail is not fun. I need about 40' in 2 different spots.

I have cameras that might leave an identifiable pic, but the fence jumper had no face, so I want to stop them somehow. I am quite positive who it was and I gave him fair warning that I know someone was in my yard. This same fellow I saw him pushing on a guy smaller than my wife and he is aout 6'3 and young. Just a matter of time, he has told others he was gonna **** them up and then the pushing.

Just today I had to tell another to get out, and made it a point to let him see a 1911 in my hip pocket. They cross a fence in my neighbors back yard and walk right through mine. I'm ready for jail, lol.

What to plant? Just south of Louisville Ky.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Grand Master
    Multi-flora roses. Nasty thorns.

Green bryer or black raspberry

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Multi-flora roses. Nasty thorns.
    Yep....and they grow quickly and densely. Blackberry would not be a bad idea either, and they should grow well in your climate. If you want THORNS, look into trifoliate orange, but be warned....it's non-native and highly invasive.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Pyracantha.

Banned
    I hear ya sayin y'all need jaggers? LOL Blackberries and they are good eating too.

Rose Glow Barberry. Any of the Barberry plants will draw blood. I cut some out 20 years ago and still find small branches every so often along where they grew. Nasty little suckers.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Berrys as stated above, they grow fast,
    then mix in thorny honey lockeus - Had then at first house, 3" thorns, thorns strong as iron, needle-sharp,
    will grow 30' as trees or trim to be a hedge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by compass will View Post
    Green bryer or black raspberry
    Roses in your climate should work. Green briar normally needs some support and one established has huge tubers in the ground making it difficult to irradiate. Any wild Rubus species that includes any black berry or raspberry is nasty and can grow reasonable quickly.
    Here is the sort of rose that I recommend.
    Pyracantha is a genus of large, thorny evergreen shrubs in the family Rosaceae, with common names firethorn or pyracantha.
    Make sure you are not colder than zone 6
    What hardiness zone is firethorn?
    Firethorn Plants - Growing Firethorn Shrubs In The Landscape
    zones 6 to 9
    Planting Firethorn: Growing Tips And Care Of Firethorn Bush. Pyracantha is the scientific name for firethorn plants, which are hardy from USDA plant hardiness zones 6 to 9. Firethorn is an evergreen plant that is easy to grow and provides seasonal interest and berries.Mar 20, 2023

Boolit Master
    Wouldn’t any fast growing shrub plus poison ivy be more rewarding?

You can’t build a fence, but what about a long and sturdy trellis that’s 5’ tall?

Boolit Master

725 Multi-flora roses. Nasty thorns. we call it "NASTY BUSH" and it i he worst stuff I ever encountered. Little fish hook barbs that are obsidian sharp. It grows in all direction. You can not escape by walking backwards.
    i spend one day per year soley on trying to burn this crap up where ever I find it.

Boolit Master
    I knew ya'll knew. Very nice, thanks. Poison ivy is everywhere here too.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master

Motion lights, really bright motion lights.

And a backup beeper that is connected to the motion lights.
    If they trespass they will have light and sound.
    If the neighbors complain about the sound of trespassers, the neighbors can call police.

And in the summer lawn sprinkles activated by motion detectors.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Thorny Rose Shrub (Rosa rugosa) or blackberry (Rubus laciniatus) or both!
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Pyracantha.
    +1.....nothing will get through it.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Don't know where you are and if you are in a suburban or rural area. Here in the suburbs we need something that is decorative, so that would be the rose. If rural, plant something productive such as the blackberries or raspberries.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    725 Multi-flora roses. Nasty thorns. we call it "NASTY BUSH" and it i he worst stuff I ever encountered. Little fish hook barbs that are obsidian sharp. It grows in all direction. You can not escape by walking backwards.
    i spend one day per year soley on trying to burn this crap up where ever I find it.
    I hate to be this way, but theses are considered invasive by the USDA so are probably illegal to import in to any area where they do not exist. Here is info on it. Seems to me it would be very effective for your need.

https://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/...ultiflora-rose
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

Could you use Constantine wire to hold up your rose bush and Raspberries ???

Autumn Cardinal Olive

Boolit Buddy
    Could you use Constantine wire to hold up your rose bush and Raspberries ???
    Yep, nothing quite like a barbed wire "trellis" when you can't have a fence.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast