Load DataInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice on Installing a Walk-In Tiled Shower

Boolit Master

Need Advice on Installing a Walk-In Tiled Shower

Water got between the fiberglass bathtub and the floor, so now I have to replace the floor. I have to demolish the bathtub in order to move it. So I’m thinking a nicer tiled shower is a good idea. Since I got great advice on building a fence here, I figured I would ask you guys about showers. Any known pitfalls I should look out for? Thanks in advance!
    I could be wrong - it happens at least daily.

Boolit Master

The new products they have today for forming the pan and drain part of the shower to prepare it for the tile are a vast improvement over the way they used to be made. You can use them and do it yourself, but I would recommend that you get a professional to do it.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Hire someone. I just did the same. It's worth it.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

I've built one back in old home. Used kerdy membrane on all walls and floor and the plastic tile decoupler for floor and made my own mortar base. Didn't leak for 5 years while we owned it, was second story.
    Want to redo both our baths, but hiring it out....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Wedi lots of videos online. Wont take on water like durrock. Great system, but $$$. Their drain is made so even if water gets under the tile, the water goes down the drain.

The grout, not the thinset, but the grout can be mixed with a product that makes it waterproof forever. But if you mix grout with water it will need sealing quarterly.

Boolit Master
    I did my own and with most projects it took twice as long and a bit of rework here and there and a definite learning curve. It was my second tile job and in the end very fulfilling. Do the homework first and learn how the layers work to keep water where it should be.

My only mistake was in the concrete floor pan (ground floor shower), I didn’t get the sloping to the drain right so I get some puddling. In hindsight I should have went with one of the pan kits rather than trying to roll my own.

Boolit Master
    I redid both our showers, used durock and redgard. Tiled the walls up to the ceiling. Turned out very nicely, and saved a lot of money. I was told the master bathroom would have cost $15k, spent $4k on materials. That was a redo from the floor joists up to and including new drywall and ceiling, along with all new plumbing, toilet, tile floor, vanity , and all new electrical.
    Last edited by CastingFool; 05-20-2023 at 06:15 AM.

Boolit Master
    You can get a one piece base and then concrete board the wall to the drain lip of the base and tile over that. If you have no experience with vinyl pan liner, the drain that seals to it, and building up the floor to get the proper fall to the drain (if you have to ask you probably don't) stick with the 1 piece solid base and not rot you floor and framing. I've made a boat load of money going behind half done jobs. That base is a whole bunch easier to clean than tile and grout too.

Boolit Master

If you opt for tile on the floor, pull the existing flooring out down to the joists and replace with a high quality 3/4" or 1" fir plywood to put your subfloor on. Any give in the flooring will result in loose grout and cracked tiles.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master

lets us know how it goes...

Boolit Grand Master

We just spent a week in a new duplex in a resort - typical resort construction - but every time we stepped in the shower the pan groaned! It was actually springing up and down! If you do it make sure everything is solid.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Tile in showers? Worst case possible!! Go to one piece fake marble slabs. No grout lines to clean, no place for water to get in. Not the plastic covered board. Fiberglass shower pan is nice but you can't use oven cleaner to clean it.
    Whatever!

Have done a few of my own, here is what I have learned. Prefab floor pans are Awesome if you get a good quality one. You can even buy custom cast ones, they are expensive. Where you have to make your own floor, make sure the water drains to the hole, standing water makes a nasty shower and also becomes a pain to keep the tiles from having scale etc. also choose your floor tiles carefully. What looks great on the wall may be worse than an ice rink when it is wet and soapy. likewise, a rough texture on the walls may hold water on the walls and thus result in a cleaning hassle when the water spots show up.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Boolit Master
    Set a acrylic base in cement an tile the walls.

Boolit Grand Master

I was reading your Original Post ... thinking about how I would "try" and do specialized projects in my younger day's and thinking now I know better ... hire a good professional ... avoid the behind wall hidden leaks and poor plumbing connections that hallmark my work ...

When I saw your post count ... 666

The spiritual meaning of the number 666 is an encouragement to Refocus on your current fixation . In other words ... it's a bad omen . I would think twice about jumping into a project that might could go wrong for an inexperienced craftsman .
    Think about hiring a good reputable plumber and shower installer to get the job done .
    Make sure they are insured and if things go sideways ... it's on them !

Remember the Spiritual meaning of 666 is an encouragement to Refocus ... rethink what you are about to do .

My mom was very superstitious and she took numbers , omens and signs seriously and I guess she passed that on to me ... I try not to believe in all that but there were a lot of things , she would see the signs of something and sure enough , it would come to pass .
    Your 666 post count is probably nothing ...but , how many showers have you installed ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I replaced a leaking fiberglass shower with tile. This is what I used for the floor. It turned out nicely.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Goof-Pro...-101/202822185

Boolit Master
    1. Hire a insured professional.
    2. If you insist on doing it yourself...
    Make sure the tile you buy is rated for a shower. Not all is.
    Buy a pre formed shower pan. The one I did I got the floor slope wrong and had too much slope. Made it slightly uncomfortable to stand on if you take a long shower. My second shower I bought the pre formed pan. Much nicer.
    Make sure you use some kind of sealer. I used RedGuard on the one I did. Never had a leak in the 4 years I lived in the house after doing it.
    Buy a decent tile saw. I had one of the cheap mini table saw looking saws for years and it worked fine for floors where base board covered the edges, but it was almost impossible to get a straight edge on a long cut. I bought a good saw before I did my shower.
    Don't go cheap on the grout.
    I started to do my second shower with a pre formed pan. I was under time constraints so I hired a guy to come and finish it. My first one turned out good, but I'm way happier with the one done by a professional. Better grout lines and overall job.
    After my own experience, here is my advice. Hire a professional. If money is tight, save your money and hire a professional. If you insist on doing it yourself, use good tools and materials. Attend several classes on Youtube university before you start.

Boolit Master
    You can probably do a pro-grade shower your first time IF you have determination and good attention to detail. However if you value your time you won't save any money after overcoming the steep learning curve and having to work slowly/carefully. That said if you're unemployed or just like working 24/7 then go for it!

If you're a glutton for punishment you can float a mud floor as well as staple metal lath to the walls and float them as well! Seriously though the Kerdi and Wedi pans are good products.

Boolit Grand Master

Years ago, when we had both bathrooms re-done, LOML asked if I was willing to do it. I told her that I could but it would take over a month of weekends and evenings to get it done - we hired professionals.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Before you put tile in a bathroom, anywhere, go talk to a man made marble company. I did many tile bathrooms as a contractor. Not many folks know how to care for tile, mostly the grout, so lke asphalt, any crack allows water penetration and constant problems.
    Go talk to a man made marble company, they make solid pans, wall panels, tubs and counter tops with sinks, etc. Just redo the bathroom, with matching items, you will be a lot happier with the result. The wife will be happy, a huge plus. Those guys can come, tear out and replace and be gone.....you, months and The wife will be so very patient, Not.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast