MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1891 Mauser re-barrel

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lead collector View Post
    Hello everyone,

Its been a busy week end, with a graduation party claiming a lot of my time, so I am just now getting time to read all of your posts.
    I believe that I may have opened a can of worms here, with out intending to, but I did get the answer to my questions, and for that I am grateful to you all.
    The idea of creating an unsafe gun, that might hurt some one, after I leave the Earth, was the first concern that I had.
    So with Larry's 30 x 57 idea, I could all but eliminate that from happening.
    The project is still in the consideration stage, and for most of you, it probably looks like a waste of time.
    For me, I have my reasons for wanting to play with this, as I like the 91 action, and for what I shoot its perfect. Also I have the gun, and the barrel, and hope to have the time soon.
    That said, I have recently purchased a really good south bend lathe, with quick chance gears, and have been working on a few little projects.
    I have recently turned down an old 98 Mauser barrel, to the major diameter, and will try to use this to cut the threads and practice on.
    This should be a good place to start, with out destroying anything of value. I can borrow a striped down 91 action, to try my sacrificial barrel on before I remove my barrel from my working gun. If all goes well, then I will proceed with the good action and barrel.
    I hope to retire in a couple of years, and have some projects that I want to work on, as well as burn a lot of powder, and cast a lot of bullets.
    Again, I am grateful to all of you for taking the time to post.

Best regards,

LC
    I'm going to throw a fly in your soup, make your rifle with a barrel nut system like the Savage and they you can swap barrel. Doing so doesn't alter or hurt the action, it only changes the barrel. You have a lathe so you can make the nut too.

It's too bad you don't have a 7.65x53 chamber reamer. That's one of my favorite cartridges and was my very first military rifle. You could size the neck to accept .308 bullets no problem. Shooting the fatter 7.65 bullets from the 30 caliber barrel really isn't going to hurt any if you're running it to the hilt.

Boolit Buddy
    Agreed. The 7.65 x 53 is a great cartridge, and underappreciated by most shooters.
    I have a couple of other Argentine Mausers as well. A full length 1891 and a full length 1909, that I shoot lead in.
    They are great lead shooters, with the NOE 314-299 bullet. The limitation for both is my eyesight.
    It has always amazed me how well these rifles were made. Built by true craftsman, who took a lot of pride in their work.

Boolit Master

I don’t have one in this caliber, but my gunsmith has built several 91 Argentines in 35 Remington. According to him it works very well. Sounds like a good combination.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lead collector View Post
    Agreed. The 7.65 x 53 is a great cartridge, and underappreciated by most shooters.
    I have a couple of other Argentine Mausers as well. A full length 1891 and a full length 1909, that I shoot lead in.
    They are great lead shooters, with the NOE 314-299 bullet. The limitation for both is my eyesight.
    It has always amazed me how well these rifles were made. Built by true craftsman, who took a lot of pride in their work.
    You 100 % correct. The 1909 Argentine Mauser is one of the very few Mauser actions made to the exact blueprint for the action.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12