WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small footprint bench for press and lubrisizer?

Small footprint bench for press and lubrisizer?

Moving and downsizing, on loading hiatus. I'll be needing a small footprint bench that will hopefully handle both the press (RCBS Rebel) and Lubrisizer (RCBS). Any particular build plans you like?
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master
    I've always either built to fit the space, or repurposed an existing table or cabinet.

From experience, you don't need all that big of a bench top, unless you want it to become over crowded with stuff.

Robert

Possibly a pedestal-type such as one based on a wheel rim?

DG

The Lee steel bench is about as small as you can get and is highly versatile with the bench plates.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

So My bench is only 2 x 4'. I have my presses mounted on a disc plate base, a 1" pipe runs up to the press mount. A flange just above bench level, allows it to be clamped to the bench edge. I have a Lee C-style press mounted at eye level, for rifle bullet seating. My Forster Coax is at bench height for rifle case sizing and pistol reloading. My Lee Clasic turret is permanently mounted to the right corner of the bench for depriming and my Lee disc powder measure. Let me know if you want pictures? hc18flyer Mounting your press this way, allows an open bench when you want.

Boolit Master
    This Harbor Freight stand:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GrinderStand.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	314149
    Mine with a 2x6 riser and drill press.

Name:	StandRiser.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	314148
    https://www.harborfreight.com/univer...and-59196.html

Costs about $100 less than the 3-legged Lee version, no bench plates though.
    Last edited by Kenstone; 05-18-2023 at 07:59 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    This Harbor Freight stand:

Name:	GrinderStand.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	314149
    Mine with a 2x6 riser and drill press.

Name:	StandRiser.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	314148
    https://www.harborfreight.com/univer...and-59196.html

Costs about $100 less than the 3-legged Lee version, no bench plates though.
    Probably just as stable when the base is weighted. Lee's 3 legged model works best with a lot of weight on the base. Otherwise it is not very stable at all. The photo from youtube post has minimal stablizing weight on the base. (looks good though)
    regards,

I used a Black & Decker Shopmate in my living room when single. Then SWAMBO came long and made me be civilized. I mounted the press on a wood pedestal that I could clamp in the shopmate. Then when not in use fold up and put in closet. Built a TC Hawkins kit gun on it too.... In the living room.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    I’d see if you could fit an inline fabrication riser with a quick change plate on top of the harbor freight grinder stand. If it fits them reinforce the stand by bolting ply to the sides, back, and front below the shelf also stack some lead on the shelf.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I’d see if you could fit an inline fabrication riser with a quick change plate on top of the harbor freight grinder stand. If it fits them reinforce the stand by bolting ply to the sides, back, and front below the shelf also stack some lead on the shelf.
    I have used a wooden riser like the one in that picture and it was very rigid under a rock chucker.

Name:	WoodenRiser.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	314152
    Because the wood is wider and can be built even wider, it has "shelf space" that an inline fab riser doesn't, and can be custom built for the proper height.
    A wood riser could be mounted "cattycornered", so the press lever is over a front leg for greater stability too.
    A 2x6 or 2x8 and some hardware is way cheaper than an Inline Fab. Ultramount.

I have also used drop-down wing/side shelves like this, both bought and made with 2 pieces of plywood and a piano hinge.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...nge-64726.html

Name:	DropdnShelf.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	314153
    jmo.

Last edited by Kenstone; 05-18-2023 at 11:19 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kerr View Post
    Probably just as stable when the base is weighted. Lee's 3 legged model works best with a lot of weight on the base. Otherwise it is not very stable at all. The photo from youtube post has minimal stablizing weight on the base. (looks good though)
    It's on wheels...
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Moving and downsizing, on loading hiatus. I'll be needing a small footprint bench that will hopefully handle both the press (RCBS Rebel) and Lubrisizer (RCBS). Any particular build plans you like?
    You talking build your own? What size space are you trying to put it into. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7BD4290E-3DE4-4F53-828F-596A6E94C74F.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	314154. This is my design build. I have 2 right next to each other. You know of course no matter how big you build it it’s never gonna be big enough lol. Everything mounts to the top with Tnuts and threaded knobs. Presses, powder measures, whatever can be unscrewed from the top in about two minutes and stored underneath. Did I mention I live in a one bedroom apartment with my wife and he sit in the living room. Send me a PM if you want some more info
    Last edited by poppy42; 05-19-2023 at 12:09 AM. Reason: I hate freaking auto correct!!!!!!!!!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I was also thinking one of the Black & Decker shopmate type benches .

If you have an out of the way area that is dedicated to reloading, you could mount a piece of 2x10 to the wall with a couple of legs to make it sturdy. I also thought that an old 2 drawer file cabinet with a wood riser like the one previously posted might work.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

I think the harbor freight stand with a swivel top would be slick. You could mount 3 or 4 tools and rotate to what you want. Make a post from 2 x 8s and a flat bearing from mc master carr. The feet would need to be long enough to be stable possibly 1/2" ply wood under them so your chairs front legs can sit on it to anchor it.

Boolit Master
    As someone who knows your pain I'm in the laundry room.My "bench" is a repurposed cabinet. The top is18and ahalf by25 and ahalf. I have Lyman T-Mag and a Lyman Crusher2. They are mounted on an Inline Fabrication quick change. I can recomend the Inline products. The ability to swap presses is very useful. Ialso have a balence beam scale that stays on the bench top. The lubricator/sizer can be mounted on a quick change plate and used as needed.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you have a corner available, I’ve found an L shape very efficient. Be sure to plan to secure whatever you use to the floor or strong wall.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I built a cabinet/bench once that occupied 36×42×72 . i could have taken the bench top ends off flush at 36² but chose not to .
    37" high bench top 5 shelves 8×33 , 1@24×33 , and 1@35×33 .

But if you want to go really compact I also have a cafe table center base with an 11" triangle of 3/4 plywood attached with the Partner press ram prime set up with Herters and and Lyman 45 lubesizers attached.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Except for one press all my stuff is mounted to hardwood bases (tried pine but the screws pulled out on the sizer) and clamped to the bench with a pair of cheap 4in clamps to keep space free. My bench is L shaped and the hard mounted press is off on the short leg freeing up almost all of the main bench space.

Attachment 314171Attachment 314172

When I was an apartment dweller space was at a premium. I mounted my press to a piece of walnut 12" by 12" and 2" thick. Then I used two C clamps to attach it to the dining room table when I reloaded. When done everything went into the closet on a shelf.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast