RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: Re barreling question on Browning B-78

Boolit Mold

Re barreling question on Browning B-78

I recently got a browning B78 that is in great condition. I didn’t notice in until I received the rifle , that there are no barrel stamping as to maker or caliber of the barrel. Obviously re barreled at some point. I checked with Browning and they tell me it was made in 1973 but don’t see a caliber listed. The rifle is now chambered in 338 win mag. , that is what it was advertised as and a spent cartridge fits. Browning say they didn’t offer a 338 in Winchester or Browning 1885’s or B78’s. Don’t know if this was a custom build or someone just thought is would be good idea. I am now a little nervous about how safe to shoot. The only stamp on the barrel is under the fore stock hanger. Stamped 107. Any of you folks got any opinions on what I do next?

Boolit Grand Master

Browning chambered both the B78 and 1885 in 7mm Rem Mag. The 338 Win is basically a necked up 7mm Rem Mag. Providing the barrel was properly installed you have zero issues.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    That action should withstand anything you care or can tolerate to shoulder. If you are indeed a little nervous as to the exact chambering a chamber cast will answer all.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll second what the previous two posts, it should be fine if the barrel was installed correctly.

If you are still nervous after looking it over, you could sand bag it down and fire it remotely the first time. But I bet it will be fine.

Robert

Boolit Mold
    Used a hornady OAL gauge to check and is indeed a 338 win mag., so confident with that. Have mixed brass but only 225 gr. SST’s to load. Need to select a powder. Now suspecting a custom build since the stock checkering/pattern also is different from any I have or have seen. Which would be great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0549.jpeg   IMG_0551.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Nice looking rifle. I use WW760 in my 338's for bullets in the 200 - 225 gr. range.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    If you have it or can get it Reloader 19 will get you all the velocity and accuracy youll need.
    Crash87
    "An art, to supply a truthful response to someones nagging, busy bodied question(s) such that the person feels as though their question has been answered, but yet, do not understand the answer and are unable to provide a follow up question to gain clarification for fear of appearing to be a dumb ***, when basically having to repeat the question

"LIBERALS ARE ALOT LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS."