Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 200 Yard Rimfire Match

Boolit Buddy
    Match went ok - had too many 8's. Can't win matches shooting 8's but you can sure lose them. 566-9X. I don't know what the top score was but it was well North of mine. Conditions were good with just enough wind to make it interesting. Was within 2 clicks of the top of my adjustment on the scope but all good. Had some nice runs of 10's and X's but then an 8 and a couple of 9's would work in. The 48 grain bullets did not seem to make much difference. I am wondering if the age of the ammunition is outweighing the theoretical benefits. Lapua's lube changes a lot as it ages.

Boolit Master
    It's good to compete every so often. It's a chance to mingle with like-minded people who have the same basic skill sets - and you get to see who practices...LOL

Boolit Master
    The last 200 y I went to a guy shooting standard v cci and peep sights won.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    We don't have matches at the range I shoot at. I think that is because nobody can shoot worth a damn. I think they think I am a weirdo because I shoot standing and sitting. They all just shoot their AR's off the bench.
    Tim
    You want to learn to shoot accurately, get a .177 air gun and shoot standing at 10 meters ( 32'10") do this for 30 days, watch your grope size shrink, then continue that to keep your skill set up........ If you can shoot an air rifle accurately, you can shoot any handheld firearm accurately, because of Lock time...... Besides shooting an air rife is cheap, last time I ordered pellets they came delivered for about $3.00/500, it is fun, and you will learn, by GOD you will learn to shoot accurately.... Then take it outside, in the wind and you will learn lots more...... Then host some matches at your club, give others a chance to compete ?

Boolit Buddy
    I've been competing and coaching in 10M International Air Rifle among other things since the '70's. It's one of the best ways to build sound fundamentals. Certainly the best way to build a superior follow through.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am a big believer in competitive shooting. I doubt most people can become good shooters unless they compete.

OP, not bad for your first time out. Keep having fun!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I am a big believer in competitive shooting. I doubt most people can become good shooters unless they compete.

OP, not bad for your first time out. Keep having fun!
    I sure agree with you on this one. Plus I have found even though you are competing against each other the guys are always willing to help a fellow competitor.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    "Lapua Scoremax ammo. 48 grain. "

That is interesting. I have a long history with 200 meter silhouette and I have my opinions on ammo for the event. I have always shot rifles with 16 twist barrels and never ventured into the rare "heaver than 40 grain" bullets. I have no idea what the stabilization of heaver bullets with a 16 twist would do in windy or switchy/windy conditions. It would be fun to try some. In centerfire BPCR Creedmoor matches for comparison, my experience is, very long for twist bullets can be very accurate in light winds and yet the same bullet and accurate load goes wild in wind sheer.
    There was a guy here (forget who) that was experimenting with 60gn 22lr. He started with the subsonic Aguilla and did some hand loading experimentation. He found that indeed the long 60gn bullet was not able to be stabilized in a standard 16 twist rifle. Last I heard he was going to try to get a barrel with a faster twist. I would also be interested in seeing the results of these 48gn bullets.

In the short and long run, all aiming shooting sports are self competitive - it's you against you. To think otherwise, particularly when competing, is in some ways self defeating.
    The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12