RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 200 Yard Rimfire Match

Boolit Buddy

200 Yard Rimfire Match

Going to shoot a 200 yard rimfire match this weekend. Should be interesting. It's Mini Palma-ish. 3 different size targets, 20 shots per target. They are going to use the pits so spotting and scoring will be simplified. Prone with a front rest, no rear rest. Pewwwwww.

Boolit Master

Sounds really interesting and very fun. Wondering if you cold post that diameter of the targets once you know.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds like fun.

Reading the old articles 200 and 300 yard matches for even the .22 Short were fairly common.

Too many people these days think you can only shoot .22's to a max of fifty yards.

I will admit that I like to keep small game ranges closer to twenty five yards, but paper targets? As long as you can keep a group on paper, go for it.

Robert

Vendor Sponsor

Can you post the match flyer? It would be interesting to see the targets, know what rifles are allowed. What ammo are you planing on using?

We shoot the 200 meter 22rf (BPCR) silhouette match (Steel) here and also have a Mini Creedmoor (paper) all shot with singleshot rifles, FUN Stuff!!!
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I don't like shooting long range rimfire, it becomes a contest for who can read the wind best.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I don't like shooting long range rimfire, it becomes a contest for who can read the wind best.

Tim
    I am assuming you are pulling everyone's chain.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Only sort of pulling chains. Wind and mirage can play hell with me. Do they let you have wind flags, do they provide wind flags. How many sighters do you get. Can you shoot a sighter anytime you want.

Tim

200 yard rimfire is a heckuva lotta fun!

The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Boolit Master
    The Grape Creek Schuetz Verein in Central Texas shoots 22 RF to both 100 and 200 ranges, and centerfire to 200. At one time, they also didn't allow anything except barrel sights - no apertures were on the line.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    The Grape Creek Schuetz Verein in Central Texas shoots 22 RF to both 100 and 200 ranges, and centerfire to 200. At one time, they also didn't allow anything except barrel sights - no apertures were on the line.
    Refresh my poor memory please ? What are barrel sights - Verses apertures sights ??

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Refresh my poor memory please ? What are barrel sights - Verses apertures sights ??
    No aperture or peep sights allowed on the receiver; rear sight is mounted on the barrel in a dovetail.

Boolit Buddy
    We shot 200 yd off hand matches several years ago. A friend, Harvey Pennington, needed some practice for the Quigley match, and realized 22's and 45 100's had about the same trajectory, and got a bunch of us to break out our iron sighted rifles; we shot in his back yard for several months. He also put together an article for Precision shooting. Lots of fun to be had.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    No aperture or peep sights allowed on the receiver; rear sight is mounted on the barrel in a dovetail.
    They did allow barrel extensions so the rifled barrel length would often be 18-20” with a 10-12” extension to put the front sight further out. Most rifles were single shot bolt or falling block actions with 2” round bull barrels. The shooter stands up and rests the muzzle on a stepped board mounted to a gate to allow for different heights. The stock has a hooked buttplate that rests over the shoulder.

My great uncle and a few cousins competed in this type of Schuetzenfest over three generations and about 60 years. I haven’t been around the club since the 1990’s so it may have all changed.

Boolit Buddy
    This match is run what you brung. Prone with front rests allowed, no rear rests. No restrictions on sights. I'll post target diameters when I find out at the match. I have a couple of boxes of old Lapua Scoremax ammo. 48 grain. I've shot inch groups at 200 with it on a still day. Wish they still made it. I see SK and Lapua have some new long range ammo out, but they are still subsonic 40 grain bullets. I can't see how that will perform better than any other quality target ammo at longer ranges. I tested some of the SK Long Range and didn't find it superior to anything else. $25 a box for Lapua Super Long Range is just right out. If it was a heavy bullet, I'd be tempted to try a box.

I'm shooting my CZ 452 Varmint. The scope on my Feinwerkbau 2600 doesn't have enough elevation, for that matter, neither do the irons. I am thinking about shimming my Unertl bases on my H&R M12 to see if I can get enough elevation with that.

I'm curious how little noise or impact there will be on the target or backstop when working in the pits. With HI-Power, there is always a loud snap and dirt flying to let you know a bullet just arrived.

There was no match flier, just a phone call, so I will be as curious as anyone else on the details.

Boolit Master
    200yd .22 lr matches are held at the club I belong to on a semi regular basses, 300 yd, 300 meter, 400 yd, all just for fun. You can learn a lot shooting in the wind at these yardages. That is what makes it fun. Any one can shoot on a calm day..

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Good luck to you Badger! Looking forward to your report! Sounds like great fun!

Boolit Master
    BadgerShooter,
    I think that Jim may use the 200yds SR1, the 300/200 reduced and the 600/200 reduced like we shot
    at Lodi
    Unfortunately, me and my BSA Martini MKII/ SKLRM will not be able to make this 200yds 22 match
    at Rapids. And looks like I will miss the 100yds Mini Palma on the 28th, too.
    Good luck and "favor Center"
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    200yd .22 lr matches are held at the club ....... Any one can shoot on a calm day..
    We don't have matches at the range I shoot at. I think that is because nobody can shoot worth a damn. I think they think I am a weirdo because I shoot standing and sitting. They all just shoot their AR's off the bench.
    Tim

Vendor Sponsor

"Lapua Scoremax ammo. 48 grain. "

That is interesting. I have a long history with 200 meter silhouette and I have my opinions on ammo for the event. I have always shot rifles with 16 twist barrels and never ventured into the rare "heaver than 40 grain" bullets. I have no idea what the stabilization of heaver bullets with a 16 twist would do in windy or switchy/windy conditions. It would be fun to try some. In centerfire BPCR Creedmoor matches for comparison, my experience is, very long for twist bullets can be very accurate in light winds and yet the same bullet and accurate load goes wild in wind sheer.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 05-19-2023 at 09:17 AM.
    Chill Wills

Distances beyond 100 yards really makes using the .22LR quite interesting. With a good gun - bbl and trigger - the challenge is almost always The Wind.
    The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast