Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Bear lard

Bear lard

Hi Guys. I know this has been gone over before. I just came into some black bear lard. Its been in the fridge and is still real soft. What should i mix with it. I have some beeswax. Last year i had to shoot a black bear on my porch in defense of life and property. The bear was getting into the chicken coop and killing my hens. He kept coming back every night so he got a 12 gauge slug in the head at 7 feet and that ended that problem. I had to turn the head and hide into fish and game. There was a family down the street that wanted the bear meat and i didn't want to deal with it so i gave it to them. They brought me some of the bear fat they rendered down. I would be using it for patched round balls. They also corned some of the meat and it was really good.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    A little off subject, but I knew a guy who swore it was the best thing for leather boots. If you have some on hand, why not give it a try.

Moderator Emeritus

I use Bear grease straight on patches for RB.
    I'll mix it 50-50 with beeswax for conical lube...which is a rare thing for me, as I rarely shoot conicals.
    I've used bear grease on Boots...but that seems to get the neighborhood dogs excited.

When I tell people how I use bear grease, I often hear how good it is for baking...you know, Grandma always used bear grease for biscuits and they were the best.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Make yourself some cornbread or a pie using the bear fat, then tell me you still want to use it on patches!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I use Bear grease straight on patches for RB.
    I'll mix it 50-50 with beeswax for conical lube...which is a rare thing for me, as I rarely shoot conicals.
    I've used bear grease on Boots...but that seems to get the neighborhood dogs excited.

When I tell people how I use bear grease, I often hear how good it is for baking...you know, Grandma always used bear grease for biscuits and they were the best.
    When I was a kid, every baker in town would buy it from hunters. It makes the lightest, flakiest pastries around.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    A little off subject, but I knew a guy who swore it was the best thing for leather boots. If you have some on hand, why not give it a try.
    Jack O’Conner wrote about a hunting-camp cook who swore by bear lard in the kitchen. He said the cook’s donuts fried in bear lard were to die for.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Make yourself some cornbread or a pie using the bear fat, then tell me you still want to use it on patches!
    This!

Boolit Buddy
    I'd take a small amount and using a double boiler add a small amount of virgin beeswax. This should "firm up" the bear fat and allow it to be used in warmer temperatures. I'd try that, but I don't have any bear fat, only beeswax.

I have heard it was good for pie crust and thing of that nature but my wife cand seem to wrap her head around it. I will try a small amount for patch lube and see how it works. Went and shot my great planes flint 54 after work today and used moose milk. Worked good. 70 gr 3F shoots strait on. I ramp it up to 90 gr and it shoots noticeably to the right. My 308 win did the same thing. I figured it would be more of a vertical thing.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.