Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: 38 Super acp

Boolit Master

38 Super acp

Can 9mm or 38 Spl dies be used to load 38 Super?

Thanks
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Master
    You could use 38 spl to size the cases and the 9mm to expand the case mouth and seat bullets.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    I have a set of 38 Super dies that are excess to my needs, if you are interested.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Buddy
    IMHO using 38 Special dies to size 38 Super brass would be an act of cruelty, and would allow loading 38 super rounds in a 38 Special revolver.
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hiram View Post

Thanks
    Yes, they can be used to load 38 ACP/38 Super cases. I use 9mm dies to load 38 Super cases for my Spanish Destroyer [barrel set back to headspace on the 38 Super case]. For hand guns you may get away with one or two reloadings before chambering will become an issue.

However, they may not fit in a true 38 Super chamber as the case will be larger at the web due to expansion and not being sized back down and the case will have the 9mm taper.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    For future reference:

38 Super

Bullet diameter .356 in (9.04mm)
    Land diameter .346 in (8.79mm)
    Neck diameter .385 in (9.75 mm)
    Base diameter .385 in (9.75mm)
    Rim diameter .406 in (10.31 mm)
    Rim thickness .05 in (1.27 mm)
    Case length .895 in (22.75mm)
    Overall length 1.28 in (32.51mm)

38 Special

Bullet diameter .357 in (9.1 mm)
    Land diameter .346 in (8.8 mm)
    Neck diameter .379 in (9.6 mm)
    Base diameter .379 in (9.6 mm)
    Rim diameter .44 in (11 mm)
    Rim thickness .058 in (1.5 mm)
    Case length 1.155 in (29.3 mm)
    Overall length 1.550 in (39.4 mm)

9mm Parabellum

Bullet diameter 9.01 mm (0.355 in)
    Land diameter 8.82 mm (0.347 in)
    Neck diameter 9.65 mm (0.380 in)
    Base diameter 9.93 mm (0.391 in)
    Rim diameter 9.96 mm (0.392 in)
    Rim thickness 1.27 mm (0.050 in)
    Case length 19.15 mm (0.754 in)
    Overall length 29.69 mm (1.169 in)
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oso View Post
    IMHO using 38 Special dies to size 38 Super brass would be an act of cruelty, and would allow loading 38 super rounds in a 38 Special revolver.
    Apparently some factory 38 acp/super will fit some 38spl/357 mag magnum cylinder chambers.

Banned
    Look at the case dimensions on a 38 Super, 9mm, 38spcl/357 Mag and you'll get a clear picture. My RCBS 38 Super dies size the case down TOO much! I have a set of old Banaza 38/357 dies that size them to a more correct diameter and don't over work the case. The 38 Super is a straight wall case. The 9mm is not and also the base of the 9mm is larger then the 38 Super.

Boolit Master
    I suspect that some 9mm dies might work on .38 smith and wesson

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    I suspect that some 9mm dies might work on .38 smith and wesson
    The 38 S&W uses a much fatter bullet then say the 38 S&W Special and the 9mm die would size the mouth down too much. No sense in over working the case mouth as that's what leads to mouth splits.

No sense in being cheap. If we're not going to adhere to SAAMI's cartridge and chamber specs then we don't need SAAMI anymore, huh? I believe in putting the properly dimension cartridge in the chamber that is designed for it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by hiram View Post

Thanks
    Dies are cheap compared to a batch of new 38 super brass from Starline, it seems prudent to have a set of the correct dies, instead of trying to make some similar, yet different, dies kinda work (tapered or a few thou smaller).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Only one way to tell ...

Both are straight cases , but - 38 Super = .384" / 38 Special = .379"

I would resize the 38 Super case with the 38 special sizing die ... as far down as the case will easily allow .
    The 38 Special seating and crimping dies will not work as the 38 super is too short .
    Seating and taper crimp with 9mm Luger dies .

Your guns chamber will be the deceiding factor as to if this will work ... it wouldn't surprise me if you can do it . For loading cast boolits in the 38 Super don't forget to bell / expand the case mouth with a NOE / Lee expander tool to prevent lead shaving and you should be able to fabricate some workable ammo .
    Good Luck ,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Only one way to tell ...

Both are straight cases , but - 38 Super = .384" / 38 Special = .379"

I would resize the 38 Super case with the 38 special sizing die ... as far down as the case will easily allow .
    The 38 Special seating and crimping dies will not work as the 38 super is too short .
    Seating and taper crimp with 9mm Luger dies .

Your guns chamber will be the deceiding factor as to if this will work ... it wouldn't surprise me if you can do it . For loading cast boolits in the 38 Super don't forget to bell / expand the case mouth with a NOE / Lee expander tool to prevent lead shaving and you should be able to fabricate some workable ammo .
    Good Luck ,
    Gary
    What 38 Super are you talking about. The one I know is a straight case at .380, not .384. Straight wall pistol/revolver cases seem harder to size because there is more friction when with a tapered case especially when pulling them out of the sizer die. Like I said I have too tight of a sizer die in my RCBS set and my Bonanza 357 Mag sizer is oversized a little. That's the one I size my 38 Super cases with. My barrel is a match barrel too so the chamber is slightly tighter.

Boolit Master
    Tolerances, tolerances, tolerances. SAAMI be daami. Make your ammo however works for you. You certainly can make ammo that will work using 38 spl and 9mm dies. 38 APC dies might work better and might not. Depends on tolerances of the chamber and the dies. Brass thickness at neck will matter too. I have a few .357 mag. sizer dies. They all leave the brass a different diameter. One is a nitrided die, it sizes very small and leave a ridge near the case head. I have a Dan Wesson revolver that has trouble with .358" diameter bullets with some lots of brass as the chambers are very tight.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides