Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: QuickLOAD Questions

Boolit Buddy

QuickLOAD Questions

Howdy Everbody!

I'm considering purchasing QuickLOAD but wanted to ask a few questions of folks who've used it.

1) Did you like it?

2) Was it useful?

3) Has anyone found a work around for needing the CD?

(Mods: if this is in the wrong thread, please move it)

I've found it immensely helpful. I like it because it helps me find loads with a complete burn, not over pressure and near complete case fill, especially for pistol, because it makes it near impossible to fit enough powder in the case to be dangerous (unless you use the wrong powder. 9 grains 3n38 in 9mm is a bit different story than 9 grains titegroup-which I stay away from and don't have anyway)

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The best $150 I've ever spent on this hobby, bar none.
    I use it /continuously/.

Boolit Master
    It took me some time to figure out certain aspects, but now I use it a lot. If you get it, try to run a lot cases that match published load data from different sources early on. This will help you to get a feel for what to expect.

I had to buy an external USB CD player so that I could install it on my laptop. My understanding is that they have to sell it on CD due to some German government rules.

Hi, there is a way or two to go around the cd drive check. Use a CD drive emulator to fool the installer to think it's a genuine CD drive operating. You must get the CD content to your HDD first, after that you are good to go. I'm still stunned that the Inventor of QL still want us to use a CD drive. (I don't buy the government claim, since GRT is downloadable) I have not used one for 10 years or so. For sure he think it prevents piracy, but it wont. More info about emulators: https://www.geckoandfly.com/18377/5-...osoft-windows/
    Last edited by Lars-K; 05-17-2023 at 06:45 AM. Reason: New info

@jakharath Yes, it's useful and I like it!
    I use no reloading manuals any more, I just use QuickLOAD. It works like a charm, and in 99% of all calibers it's dead on. But, read all the info provided with the CD to get and understand how it works and how to tweak it. The only caliber that I has proven QL wrong is my 300 Blackout. In my rifle shooting subsonic (Why get a 300BLK to shoot anyting faster beats me...) there is a big error in MV. Shooting bullets QL claims will give 1050fps in real life it gives you about 825fps or so. If you start calculating in % it's way off. But everything going faster than subsonic is mostly dead on. From my 240Wby to 470 NE it performs outstanding!
    Last edited by Lars-K; 05-17-2023 at 06:47 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks everyone for their input!

@Lars-K - 300BO is one of the main reasons I want to try it. Thanks again for the heads up!

Quickload has its own thread. The program is great, the support not so much...

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-thread/page18
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master
    I would inject a word of caution when solely relying on quick-load as it is not hard data but more educated guesswork derived from whatever information was inputted.
    A useful tool I grant you, when used alongside proven load data from reloading manuals and manufacturers.
    ukrifleman

Another happy user. I reload several different unique wilcats with no load data available. Waiting on a chamber reamer for one right now. Using QL I can usually get the QL guess within the spread of the shots run over the chrony and often low teen or under 10fps difference between the guess and chrony average. Not always, so always work you way up.

Boolit Buddy
    Followup Question: Is there a list of cartridges that Quickload covers? I'm talking about the oddballs, like 8mm Nambu and 8mm Roth Steyr, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by BP Dave View Post
    Followup Question: Is there a list of cartridges that Quickload covers? I'm talking about the oddballs, like 8mm Nambu and 8mm Roth Steyr, for example.
    No, but you can always enter specifics, like H2O case capacity, case length, overall length and bullet specifics. It is not in there, it's easy enough to make it

Quote Originally Posted by BP Dave View Post
    Both of those cartridges are listed on my 3.8 version of QL. There is a dropdown menu with a few hundred cartridges, or as nhyrum pointed out you can enter the specifics of a cartridge like I do with wildcats and label and add the file to your list. I'm getting ready to load some 8x56R which isn't in any of my reloading books, but is in QL.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    Another happy user. I reload several different unique wilcats with no load data available. Waiting on a chamber reamer for one right now. Using QL I can usually get the QL guess within the spread of the shots run over the chrony and often low teen or under 10fps difference between the guess and chrony average. Not always, so always work you way up.
    FYI to all, Moleman ran some 357 AR Max QL runs for me before I got the program. This strongly influenced my decision to get it myself.

Getting results he described is based on a good powder input (the batch matches the QL standard or the batch has been benchmarked in at least one gun), you supply accurate inputs affecting percent fill, and the gun (including chamber details) is typical and in good shape.

Getting within 50 fps is actually darn good when you consider that there are many reports of two functionally identical guns getting about this much variation with the same ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post

Getting results he described is based on a good powder input (the batch matches the QL standard or the batch has been benchmarked in at least one gun), you supply accurate inputs affecting percent fill, and the gun (including chamber details) is typical and in good shape.
    Garbage in, garbage out

@nhyrum QL Calibers? Sure here we go. You can download a list of all calibers as four txt file here: (Due to allowed file size)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars-K View Post
    (I don't buy the government claim, since GRT is downloadable

From the web site:

I don’t have a disk drive; can I just download QuickLOAD or the Data Updates?
    A: Finally the QuickLOAD updates are now available as a download however, due to the fact that QuickLOAD (as well as the other software) is developed and published in Germany makes it subject to German law. The German Government has determined that this software program falls under such ITAR restrictions. Therefore, at this time it is only available in physical form. If someone tells you otherwise, it is NOT QuickLOAD/QuickTARGET. To install, you will need to purchase an external (USB) DVD/CD drive.