Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: used shotgun shells

Boolit Master

used shotgun shells

I have bags and bags of used 12 ga and 20 ga (brass) shotgun shells. Recycle places will take them, and pay for the brass, without the plastic. Anyone come up with a quick way to remove the plastic?

Boolit Master
    I suppose one could make sure the primer is dead and then cut partially through the hull from the base so you can open up the remaining halves of the base. After the first one, you may find it is like melting aluminum cans to make an aluminum ingot. A lot of work for little reward. At least then you will know if it is worth the time and effort.

Do you have a fine tooth band saw?

I would imagine they are worth way more to shot shell reloaders than scrap yards. Empty hulls get bulky to ship, but there are different sizes of flat rate boxes. Plus, by the 100s they do not weigh much at all. You can check the Precision Reloading site for used hull prices by guage.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    I've offered them to the trap guys at the club, but no takers. I'm not interested in selling them, but I don't want to dump them in the trash. I inherited three full bags of them.

I found this site. Looks like fun (yeah, right).
    https://defiel.com/where-to-sell-emp...bela%E2%80%99s

To answer your question, I use a few 20ga. fired hulls once in a while to make, ''bird bombs'' to fire out of a 12ga. hull. To do this the plastic must be removed from the metal base. I've found a few seconds on a hot plate or other heat source does nicely in softening the plastic where you can pull them apart with pliers.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Cut a V notch in a piece of scrap wood then use it to hold the shells while you run them through a table saw.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    You might want to knock out a few primers then check them with a magnet, because some shell heads are simply plated steel. They look like brass but are only skin deep...

Boolit Buddy
    Even for the ones that are actually brass, it's thin and pretty well stuck to the plastic.

I would be shocked if the value of the time and materials used to extract the brass didn't far outweigh the resulting scrap value.

Boolit Master
    These shells are pretty old. My wife's father was heavily into skeet shooting. The local scrap yard pays about $2.00 per pound for brass. I'm filthy rich...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    These shells are pretty old. My wife's father was heavily into skeet shooting. The local scrap yard pays about $2.00 per pound for brass. I'm filthy rich...
    So it’s not that you just don’t know what to do with them to get rid of them. It’s you want to get your biggest bang for your buck so to speak. You would still probably get more selling them to someone that reloads shotgun shells. Let me ask you this. Weigh one of the bags. Is the amount you’re gonna get taking the time to cut the plastic off and scrapping them worth your effort. I’d also check more than one scrap yard. scrapyards take something called dirty brass. You get less money but you don’t have to put the work involved in separating them. When I scrap my brass I’ve got two buckets. One is strictly brass cases. The other is 22, steel, aluminum, 3 B dirty primers, etc. Price per pound is substantially different but it’s still money.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    I've called two scrap yards - same deal. I just want to get rid of them. Neither scrap yard would take them because of the plastic. I offered them to the trap guys at the club, no charge, but no one has said they'd take them. I don't want to trash them.

Boolit Buddy
    Punch the primer, cut off excess plastic, insert wire tie off to same wire, fill up with brass then burn. Take the stack off the wire a place in recycle bucket.

Why not post them on the sell site right here, reimburse for the shipping cost, would be a net 0 to you.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    good idea

Then again, do they have to be deprimed to ship? I know, the primers are spent, but...
    Last edited by Battis; 05-16-2023 at 03:44 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    If you’re going to spend this kind of time piddling with these things, put a primer in them, and sell them as primed hulls. Only if you have a bunch of primers bought years ago would it make it worth your time. Primed hulls can be shipped no problem.

If they are a bunch of the old Winchester paper hulls, or the high base ,not high brass hulls, no one will want to mess with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    good idea

Then again, do they have to be deprimed to ship? I know, the primers are spent, but...
    No, fired brass with spent primers can be shipped USPS

Boolit Master
    Pm sent
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Piddling? Good word. I don't want to piddle with them, or even sell them - just want to make them gone (but not into a landfill). I don't reload shotgun shells.
    Anyone remember what a Padiddle is?

Boolit Buddy
    There was a guy who ran them through a hammer mill and then filtered out the plastic. There is a video on Youtube about it. I see that as one of the few viable ways.
    My straightshooter posts: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...raight-shooter
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...RAIGHT-SHOOTER
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Some people have reached out to me directly to put specific brass packages together regarding specific headstamps. Feel free to ask.

Boolit Master
    The tub is 4 1/2 ft by2 ft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast