RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which diesel additive

Boolit Master
    Power Service does make a fuel system cleaner and also an algicide for diesels. Use both in my diesel fuel for my Kubota. Frank

Boolit Master

how sad is it that the consumer has to add stuff to a product to keep it from ruining their equipment
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    We have 2 small diesel tractors, 35 and 45 hp, the 35hp (Oliver Super 55) was inherented from my father. It had the dreaded black goo in the fuel system. It is almost back together after a full engine rebuild. What diesel additive should I use to avoid a return of the black goo?

Thanks
    if the black goo is biologicals.. then the real deal is to get rid of water.. that means using something with a dispersant.. and ov course.. not letting water get in your fuel tank in the first place , at least as much as possible anyway. There are biocides by power service, and dispersants.. but the plain white bottle ain't it. Likely need the white n green bottle and the silver.

Moderator Emeritus

Local co-op cardtrol(no station attendant, all automated with a fuel card) pumps have real diesel for off road use only... I see people with older diesel trucks using it tho! They also have non-ethanol gas at the pumps for lawnmowers etc. The guys with classic cars all fill up with it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pete501 View Post
    Years ago we had the dreaded diesel Oldsmobile. We used to buy cheap fuel in Mexico and would store it in 55 gal drums. The black goo might be algae growth. Biobor was what we used for this plus an added Racor water separator/filter.
    That's what I was thinking. Only remedy is to completely clean the fuel system and that includes removing the tank, getting all the fuel out and thoroughly cleaning it before reinstallation.

Power Service Bio Kleen is what a couple of companies I've worked for used on their trucks.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Local co-op cardtrol(no station attendant, all automated with a fuel card) pumps have real diesel for off road use only... I see people with older diesel trucks using it tho! They also have non-ethanol gas at the pumps for lawnmowers etc. The guys with classic cars all fill up with it.
    It's cheaper but don't get caught on by any DOT using it for on-highway use. A number of states randomly pull people in and dip the tanks to look for color. Fine is pretty hefty.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    A friend purchased a diesel Mercedes-Benz van for him and his wife to tour the US. It's one of the really tall ones that they can stand up in. I believe it is a 2019. It is not biodiesel compatible. They can't take it to some of the mid-western states since the only fuel available at the pump is biodiesel. They also have to plot their course to ensure they can fill will regular diesel.

Additives may or may not work to run biodiesel in it but Mercedes-Benz's no to any biodiesel period.
    I'd never heard that, interesting. You can buy additives to add back in the lubricity to the fuel, I wonder if that would take care of the problem

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I'd never heard that, interesting. You can buy additives to add back in the lubricity to the fuel, I wonder if that would take care of the problem

Per Mercedes-Benz USA 2023 guidance they are now allowing 5% Bio. I've never seen 5% Bio at the pump unless it is an off road use pump. Different areas are different but in corn country 15% is normally the minimum (MN is 20% in the summer). On a side note, my baby Duramax allows 20% Bio. I try to find non-Bio but at times 20% is the only option.

Mercedes-Benz USA approves the use of B5 according to ASTM specification D975 [Ultra-Low Sulphur Diesel (ULSD) with
    a maximum of up to 5% biodiesel] in all Common Rail Injection (CDI) and BlueTEC® diesel engines.
    The only approved processed biodiesel for B5 blending is one that meets the ASTM D6751 specification, to prevent
    damage to the engine and fuel system from deposits and/or corrosion.
    The use of diesel fuels containing a higher percentage of biodiesel, (B6 to B20) according to ASTM D7467 as well as
    straight biodiesel (B100) according to ASTM D6751 may cause severe damage to your engine and fuel system, and are not
    approved by Mercedes-Benz.

The Mercedes-Benz New Vehicle Limited Warranty generally does not cover damage caused by the use of fuels that do not
    meet Mercedes-Benz approved fuel standards.
    If customers cannot avoid the use of biodiesel fuel between B6 and B20, it’s critical for them to monitor their engine oil
    level and engine running performance.
    Customers of Mercedes-Benz vehicles must use only qualified commercial brand fuels that meet Mercedes-Benz approved
    fuel standards. Biodiesel fuel from non-name brand stations must not be used.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-18-2023 at 01:16 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    It's cheaper but don't get caught on by any DOT using it for on-highway use. A number of states randomly pull people in and dip the tanks to look for color. Fine is pretty hefty.
    50 cents a gallon higher in price so running it on road doesn't make sense unless you have an older vehicle. Running non ethanol gas in a modern engine will destroy the cat converter... it has additives that do major damage. Local co-op accidentally got it in the wrong tank up at their shop and killed 4 cat converters on shop trucks. New guy doing bulk delivery screwed up.

Boolit Master

Hmm.. Non-E gas damaging cat's? Google doesn't seem to back up that statement..in fact it disagrees with it outright...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Hmm.. Non-E gas damaging cat's? Google doesn't seem to back up that statement..in fact it disagrees with it outright...
    I think there's some confusion between leaded gas and ethanol free gas. Leaded gas and cat's don't mix but today about the only source to leaded gas is aviation fuel, racing fuel or off-road use.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

+ all the above for Power Service. Works great in my NH tractor.

Running non ethanol gas in a modern engine will destroy the cat converter... it has additives that do major damage.
    Something else happened in your related experience.

Gasoline with Ethanol (10 -15%), or "straight" gasoline w/o oxygenated additives, is available in various markets for use in on road automotive application. ALL "modern" US Market automobiles w/ gasoline engines can use either the EPA approved oxygenated blends or "straight" gasoline.
    The blend of oxygenates depends on Market and Season, and is mandated in some specific aspects by the US EPA.

Leaded fuel (gasoline containing tetraethyllead) will "poison" a catalytic converter. "Recreational fuel" can, and in some instances does, contain TEL to this day.
    There are also other additives that can "poison" a modern automotive gasoline IC engine catalyst, but "pure" gasoline can not.

I have relevant professional experience to make this statement.

Boolit Master

Thank you for the timely post last June I bought my first diesel engine in a 2001 New Holland LS 180 skid steer and am having some issues with fuel just starting.
    I hade bought road fuel as the engine does say low sulfur fuel and at the time it was cheaper then off road fuel. I just added some fuel conditioner* and it is starting much better I will look for algicide next .

* I forget the name of the conditioner it is from Walmart and in a semi clear bottle for gas and diesel it really helps in my gas lawn tractor with easier starts .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    Thank you for the timely post last June I bought my first diesel engine in a 2001 New Holland LS 180 skid steer and am having some issues with fuel just starting.
    I hade bought road fuel as the engine does say low sulfur fuel and at the time it was cheaper then off road fuel. I just added some fuel conditioner* and it is starting much better I will look for algicide next .

* I forget the name of the conditioner it is from Walmart and in a semi clear bottle for gas and diesel it really helps in my gas lawn tractor with easier starts .
    I use three additives. A biocide, a product to remove water from the fuel, and an anti-gel. The anti-gel is not needed in the summer, but I buy 50 gallons at a time and add it case I still have fuel in the storage tank when winter hits.

I am anal about it. But my tractor fuel can sit for months. I go through 100 gallons a year, so the added cost is minor to the cost of a problem. When I had a diesel pickup (2010 Ford), I never added anything but anti-gel in the winter and it was fine. No "gunk" issues in six years but it ran fresh fuel regularly. IMO having fuel sit for long periods might have a bearing on it.

OTOH, my neighbor uses less fuel than I do, and does not use additives. He has not had a problem...yet. He laughs at me for wasting money.

Anyway, my cost for 100 gallons works out to.
    Biocide $12
    Water disperser $8
    Anti-gel $12

$32 ($.32/gal) for peace of mind and to protect a $30,000 tractor. And with my luck, I would have the problem happen when I had 12" of snow to clear. BTW, like you, I purchase off road as it is $.50 cheaper.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

i dont understand the posts about dyed fuel being more expensive than regular diesel, the whole idea is that the taxes are removed so it should always be cheaper. around here its about 75 cent cheaper, are you guys sure its not kerosene, that gets dyed also and is significantly more than diesel.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I think there's some confusion between leaded gas and ethanol free gas. Leaded gas and cat's don't mix but today about the only source to leaded gas is aviation fuel, racing fuel or off-road use.
    This is leaded, only one they carry for off road use(or use in classic cars with a collector plate).

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    Something else happened in your related experience.

Gasoline with Ethanol (10 -15%), or "straight" gasoline w/o oxygenated additives, is available in various markets for use in on road automotive application. ALL "modern" US Market automobiles w/ gasoline engines can use either the EPA approved oxygenated blends or "straight" gasoline.
    The blend of oxygenates depends on Market and Season, and is mandated in some specific aspects by the US EPA.

Leaded fuel (gasoline containing tetraethyllead) will "poison" a catalytic converter. "Recreational fuel" can, and in some instances does, contain TEL to this day.
    There are also other additives that can "poison" a modern automotive gasoline IC engine catalyst, but "pure" gasoline can not.

I have relevant professional experience to make this statement.
    MN road gas MUST contain a minimum of 10% ethanol. We have no non ethanol options.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    i dont understand the posts about dyed fuel being more expensive than regular diesel, the whole idea is that the taxes are removed so it should always be cheaper. around here its about 75 cent cheaper, are you guys sure its not kerosene, that gets dyed also and is significantly more than diesel.
    here off road fuel at the pump is higher priced than road fuel... thank stupid MN taxes! Off road bulk is cheaper... but I do not need 600 gallons of gas for the lawn mower, snow blower, and tiller... I might go thru 30-35 gallons a year...

Boolit Master

here off road fuel at the pump is higher priced than road fuel... thank stupid MN taxes! Off road bulk is cheaper... but I do not need 600 gallons of gas for the lawn mower, snow blower, and tiller... I might go thru 30-35 gallons a year...
    That does not make sense to me, off road fuel, the dyed stuff right?, is tax free, and only people with tax exempt status can get it so it should always be cheaper than regular diesel.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast