Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which diesel additive

Which diesel additive

We have 2 small diesel tractors, 35 and 45 hp, the 35hp (Oliver Super 55) was inherented from my father. It had the dreaded black goo in the fuel system. It is almost back together after a full engine rebuild. What diesel additive should I use to avoid a return of the black goo?

Thanks
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

For decades i have used power service with good results in my diesel engines, but really anyone would be better than nothing
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    +1 for Power Services, have also used for several years and it works!
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Years ago we had the dreaded diesel Oldsmobile. We used to buy cheap fuel in Mexico and would store it in 55 gal drums. The black goo might be algae growth. Biobor was what we used for this plus an added Racor water separator/filter.
    Last edited by pete501; 05-15-2023 at 08:32 PM.

I drove Mercedes diesels for 35 years. I used nothing but Howe's and even put 425,000 miles on one.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    the Black goo in diesel fuel is most defiantly Black algae! and Power server or Howe"s will do nothing to prohibit its growth. it is very common issue in seasonal use equipment. and a real pain.

Regardless of how many miles one has on there vehicle or how many years one has used P S or Howes, Black algae is a problem if you get some contaminated fuel.

Most auto part stores sell an algicide product specifically for diesel fuel and it matters not what color your diesel fuel is. Once you tank has been introduced to a batch of fuel with algae growth in it, only an algicide will kill the algae but you still have to filter the dead algae out, eliminate the black goo.

If your local auto parts store doesnt have the algicide for diesel then go to a fuel oil supplier and get it there.

Your old Oliver was designed for fuel with sulfur in it to lubricate the injection pump and injectors. you tractor most likely has a Wakashaw engine with a Rossamaster injection pump. You can use anything from clean used engine oil to the already suggested additive for lubrication in the crappy LS fuel.
    Last edited by Screwbolts; 05-15-2023 at 12:41 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

As others mentioned earlier, all I ever used was PowerService. I bought my fuel from reputable stations and added it year 'round as my diesel was a '92 7.3 and it was suggested after the switch to low sulphur diesel.

Sold it at 420K miles after the body rotted off so I guess I did something right. Never did a thing to it besides change oil and filters and replace the fuel return lines twice.

Boolit Grand Master
    You need a biocide. I order mine online. It is not cheap but a little goes a long way.

Screwbolts gave you good advice.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-16-2023 at 03:19 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I'm sure many algaecides will work, but I've had good results with fppf killem. When you use any algaecide, keep a few spare filters on hand. The dead algea will look like coffee grounds and plug the filter quickly. In older diesel engines, some type of lubricity additive is a good idea to keep the fuel pump from wearing out as well.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Definitely steam clean your tanks and lines if you know it is full of junk... ANY kind then use these two items .. owned a fleet of diesels before I retired and I can tell you I let the drivers pick their diesel treatment and after two hard winters in a row the only rigs that could run in the below zero cold were the ones running Howes diesel Treat and never injector problems ..the fleet went 100% Howes after that
    I used a fleet contract fuel service but they guaranteed no algae which they did directly in their huge tanks with 55 gallon drums of Howes Algaecide that they once had in consumer size bottles but no longer ..
    I would bet the "Farm Meaner Cleaner" has the algae treatment in.

https://www.howesproducts.com/produc...-power-kleaner

https://www.howesproducts.com/products/diesel-treat

On my farm tractors I run the Mean clean year round and the Diesel Treat September thu March

Happy farming
    Bear

Boolit Master

just buy real diesel, absolutely no bio-diesel and you wont have the problem. you will need to ask for it at a fuel supplier, the stuff from gas station pumps all have the bio-diesel, no farmer in his right mind will buy the bio stuff due to them needing to store it for extended periods of time, i have 5 year old real diesel thats still good.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Our Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel is DRY. Our diesel standards are much lower in the US than in EU, and lots of systems are made in EU! Lubricity is what you need. Stanadyne Lubricity Formula at Tractor Supply.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cast10 View Post
    Our Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel is DRY. Our diesel standards are much lower in the US than in EU, and lots of systems are made in EU! Lubricity is what you need. Stanadyne Lubricity Formula at Tractor Supply.
    A friend purchased a diesel Mercedes-Benz van for him and his wife to tour the US. It's one of the really tall ones that they can stand up in. I believe it is a 2019. It is not biodiesel compatible. They can't take it to some of the mid-western states since the only fuel available at the pump is biodiesel. They also have to plot their course to ensure they can fill will regular diesel.

Additives may or may not work to run biodiesel in it but Mercedes-Benz's states no to any biodiesel period.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-18-2023 at 11:31 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I once was able to get free stale aviation kerosine .....this was the very worst Ive ever had for fuel fungus ......and is the reason, I gather, that planes must be drained and refilled with fresh fuel every 30 days.....Anyhoo,a lot of people around the airport ran cars and trucks (like 8 ton trucks) on free aviation kero.......Potentially a massive penalty ,but as far as I know only bulk users have ever been caught by the Excise .

I've heard some guys add a tiny bit of gasoline to keep the algae from growing.

Boolit Master
    When I quit the refinery ,I took precautions while I still had my pump key ,and managed to get enough diesel to last 5 years .......knowing it would be stored for years ,I put a bottle of boat service biocide in every drum.........the last drop was as good as the first ,and I sure missed free fuel........everyone in the oil co used to get free fuel ,and just after I left the Feds cracked down on it,and the free fuel was cut off ......no excise paid,only to be used inside the refinery site by contractors.

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    just buy real diesel, absolutely no bio-diesel and you wont have the problem. you will need to ask for it at a fuel supplier, the stuff from gas station pumps all have the bio-diesel, no farmer in his right mind will buy the bio stuff due to them needing to store it for extended periods of time, i have 5 year old real diesel thats still good.
    I have tried but all diesel around here has some bio in it. The local bulk distributor carries it but won't sell in small quantities. I usually only keep 10-15 gallons on hand. That will do a lot of the work we do around our place. I just can't justify a bulk tank for 2 small tractors.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by pete501 View Post
    Years ago we had the dreaded diesel Oldsmobile. We used to buy cheap fuel in Mexico and would store it in 55 gal drums. The black goo might be algae growth. Biobor was what we used for this plus an added Racor water separator/filter.
    I’ve used additives in the Arctic to keep diesel from gelling and others in the tropics to keep down algae growth, but one of the best things you can do is add a Raycor type drainable filter.

Boolit Master
    People hook up oil tanks to oil burners with 3/8 copper.
    The black goo will stopper it solid.
    I used "DieselPep" and a handpump to push the crud back.
    Then added a spin-on filter after the old "filter".
    The cellulose filter is the water trap, and the spin-on catches fines.
    Trouble with spinons, is a little water will plug them up,
    but a cellulose filter will pass nice clean water.

Beware cleaning an old oil tank!
    The black goo is plugging up the pin holes!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast