Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which diesel additive

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    50 cents a gallon higher in price so running it on road doesn't make sense unless you have an older vehicle. Running non ethanol gas in a modern engine will destroy the cat converter... it has additives that do major damage. Local co-op accidentally got it in the wrong tank up at their shop and killed 4 cat converters on shop trucks. New guy doing bulk delivery screwed up.
    I was talking about diesel. Here the prices are about equal, other states off road is lower.
    I'm not sure about that non ethanol killing cats. Here they sell it at a few pumps and everything seems to run fine.
    MaryB, where did you get that info?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by Txcowboy52 View Post
    +1 for Power Services, have also used for several years and it works!
    I used this for years when I had diesel trucks and I still put it in my Kubota.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    MN road gas MUST contain a minimum of 10% ethanol. We have no non ethanol options.
    US EPA regulations have the force of law, and when in conflict w/ state & local law will prevail IF more stringent, but clauses are written into Much law of this type that state and local Can override federal IF the state & local are more stringent -- this is how we got into the mess we have with CARB & the US Clean Air Act.

In Michigan, depending on where you are in the state, and in which season, you may get gasoline w/o ethanol, or with ethanol.

BTW: an ICE engine consumes roughly 2x the amount of ethanol as gasoline to make the same power -- So, using 10% ethanol gas gets you ~5% less fuel economy than "straight" gas.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I was talking about diesel. Here the prices are about equal, other states off road is lower.
    I'm not sure about that non ethanol killing cats. Here they sell it at a few pumps and everything seems to run fine.
    MaryB, where did you get that info?
    My owners manual flat out says to NOT run it. Now my engine is direct injection turbo so it is a bit different than most...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I use three additives. A biocide, a product to remove water from the fuel, and an anti-gel. The anti-gel is not needed in the summer, but I buy 50 gallons at a time and add it case I still have fuel in the storage tank when winter hits.

I am anal about it. But my tractor fuel can sit for months. I go through 100 gallons a year, so the added cost is minor to the cost of a problem. When I had a diesel pickup (2010 Ford), I never added anything but anti-gel in the winter and it was fine. No "gunk" issues in six years but it ran fresh fuel regularly. IMO having fuel sit for long periods might have a bearing on it.

OTOH, my neighbor uses less fuel than I do, and does not use additives. He has not had a problem...yet. He laughs at me for wasting money.

Anyway, my cost for 100 gallons works out to.
    Biocide $12
    Water disperser $8
    Anti-gel $12

$32 ($.32/gal) for peace of mind and to protect a $30,000 tractor. And with my luck, I would have the problem happen when I had 12" of snow to clear. BTW, like you, I purchase off road as it is $.50 cheaper.
    Thank you for the information we are in same area so it should work well for me last year I used 20 gallons all year last week I did some dirt moving at second property and went though over 5 gallons in two days . Most of the fuel I have on hand right now is "green" winter formula I am not sure how that effects things or if it does in the summer . I know it tends to foam when pouring which surprised me when I filled the cans fresh .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I think there's some confusion between leaded gas and ethanol free gas. Leaded gas and cat's don't mix but today about the only source to leaded gas is aviation fuel, racing fuel or off-road use.
    Agreed..

Boolit Grand Master

I've learned several things from this thread.

For water in diesel I just dump a 16oz bottle of 90% alcohol in each tank once a week (200 gal total) and am religious in the winter about draining the fuel filter when I fuel.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123