Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: .40 to .357 cast

Boolit Mold

.40 to .357 cast

Howdy all. Long time lurker. I’ve been here since 2012. Y’all are a great wealth of knowledge. I’ve got an issue. I’ve got 4,000 to 5,000 cast .40 caliber bullets I’ll never use. Most are from Missouri bullet co. I’d like to swags them down to .357 so I could use them in my .35 whelen. Is that possible? I see data for the weight but I’ve never swaged down anything.
    Thanks for your help.
    Gary

It would be cheaper to recast them than to obtain the equipment and swage them. For the cost of the dies alone you could buy all the casting equipment.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    It would be cheaper to recast them than to obtain the equipment and swage them. For the cost of the dies alone you could buy all the casting equipment.
    What he said................
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Banned
    Actually you wouldn't have to swage them down to .357. The groove size of that 35 Whelen should be .358. I have a Whelen and that is my groove. The bullet I cast for it drops from the mould at .359 so that's what I shoot it at. You can swage them to the fattest diameter that will chamber. So now it appears you may not have to swage them down so far. One note, make sure the lube grooves on the bullets are full or you will lose the groove when swaging them down. You will lose only a little bit of the grooves if they are full. Good luck!

Boolit Master

Swaging makes things bigger, drawing is the process of making things smaller.
    Sell them in the Swappin and Selling section and buy some bullets the right size.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    Sell them in the Swappin and Selling section and buy some bullets the right size.
    Yes you are very correct. I was thinking in reverse. He would have to have special sizer die to do that , one that began with a long taper down to the final size. Best to sell them or melt them and get the correct bullet mold. There is a very good mould for that caliber on Mihec's sight. He's the mould maker in Slovakia. It comes with pins to make a hollow point or solid. I have it and my Whelen shoots 1/2 inch groups with it at 100 yards. I'm using Unique so it's not a full power load, about like a 35 Remington. Plenty good enough for deer hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    I was going to suggest he sell them but then I notice he only had one post on the forum.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

More than 10 or 12 thousandths tends to be a big pain. Easier IMO to make things bigger, smaller is hard.

Either melt them and recast in a .357mag mold. Or sell and trade for some good .357 pills.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!