Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Lyman/Ideal Set Screw-Sprue Plate

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman/Ideal Set Screw-Sprue Plate

I was casting a run of 515139 bullets from my old Ideal/Lyman mould in preparation for my carbine event at the N-SSA Spring Nationals. I got most of the way through my run and noticed the sprue plate was getting loose and floppy, so I loosened the set screw and tightened the sprue holding screw a bit, but apparently I neglected to cinch down the set screw sufficiently because in a very short time the plate was loose and floppy and then I noticed the set screw had apparently backed out and completely disappeared.

My younger brother runs the fastener department at the local Home Depot, so I stopped by in hopes of finding a replacement and he measured it as closely as he could get as an 8-32. Unfortunately, that wouldn't quite work. Hence my post... did Lyman do something weird like make an 8-30 set screw, or has my mould block gotten damaged from the old set screw wobbling out or...?

Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    I can't find my thread checking tool right now, but my money is on Lyman/Ideal using a weird non standard thread pitch. Most of their stuff was designed way before the SAE set the thread standards in the United States. 1927 if I remember JR High shop class correctly.

Robert

Boolit Master

Just re tap it to 8-32 and be done with it.

Boolit Grand Master

I take it the 8-32 is tight in the holes. One trick is to pick up a nylon screw and run it in then measure. Another is to pack it with clay and back it out. If you have it on hand cerrosafe will tell the tale also.

Moderator Emeritus

It might be 8x36. I remember some of the old Ideals had proprietary threads. 10 years ago they had no more at the factory.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    OK, for now, I’ll just have to swap set screws between mould blocks as I’m doing different bullets. As things calm Don a bit, I’ll revisit this and inquire of Lyman what should be done. If nothing else, I may have to retap some of my most-used moulds to a standard thread size and just keep straight which ones they are. Since the most used ones are most likely to also have more wear, therefore benefitting from new threads. Thanks to all for their help.
    Froggie

Moderator Emeritus

FYI, the Lyman #45 Lubesizer has some thumbscrews that are 8-36
    so it's a size that Lyman has used.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Two best options might be a machinist that owes you a favor or buying a junker mold.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, I'm enough of a machinist to redrill and tap the mould block if needed (with stuff I have here) but hesitate to do so because I hate having a mixture of standard and nonstandard set screws (factory standard, that is). In the end, that is a good possibility though.

As many moulds as I have in my supply, I can probably find one being used so rarely that I can dog rob the set screw from it and never miss it. I guess it comes down to whether the threads in the block in question have worn to the point where I need to retap it.

Oh well, I got enough bullets cast before the old screw went South that I won't have to make another run 'til Fall anyway, so as they say South of the Border, "Mañana, mañana, mañana is good enough for me!"

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    You might try an 8-36, if you have a fastener shop nearby. My rememberer is not what it once was, but I seem to recall that was what they used up until the 1960's or there abouts.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I just lost the set screw out of my Lyman 356402 mould made in 9/15. Is it a 8/36?
    Thanks for the assistance?
    I think I see a rip in the social fabric, Brother can you spare some ammo?
    Corb Lund

Boolit Master
    Yea it would be nice to know threads to this. I'm always messing around and would like to have some on hand as a back-up.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HP9MM View Post
    I just lost the set screw out of my Lyman 356402 mould made in 9/15. Is it a 8/36?
    Thanks for the assistance?
    No the change came about in the early 60's or late 50's. Call or email Lyman and order a 2 or 4 cavity mold rebuild kit. It should have all screws and a new top plate.

McMaster-Carr shows 8-36 set screws in-stock.

A better quality local hardware store may have them, and some of the better hardware stores are even stocking "gun screws" now. I have a couple within striking distance to me that have them. Ondrus in Toledo and I believe Stadium in Ann Arbor. I know I've seen them in other hardware stores as well.

Yes, I have an exciting life, trolling around in hardware stores