PBcastcoWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just installed a Ruger BX Trigger

Moderator Emeritus

Just installed a Ruger BX Trigger

I have a stainless Ruger RSI 10/22 that I have decided to shoot in a rimfire competition down where I live but I am not happy with the factory trigger....way too hard! So I started looking and settled on the Ruger BX Trigger assembly and yesterday I got it in the mail and 15 minutes later I had it in the gun....man is that trigger 10 times better than the original trigger...the only thing that I am not sure about is the new housing is plastic and I dont know if it will hold up like the investment casted trigger assembly that came with the gun?

If you have this system please chime in an let me know what your experience has been. Hope you all have a wonderful day and dont forget to thank the mom's and wives in your life!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I’ve had one of those triggers in old 10/22 for several years with no problems at all. You are correct about the improved trigger but I like the improved mag release almost as much as the trigger.

It is the trigger that should be in the rifle from the factory. I put it on all my 10/22’s as soon as I build them unless it’s for a specific use.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Iron369 View Post
    It is the trigger that should be in the rifle from the factory.
    I can't understand giving Ruger more money to fix a sub-par trigger. There are other options and they aren't made of plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I can't understand giving Ruger more money to fix a sub-par trigger. There are other options and they aren't made of plastic.
    It’s pretty simple. Given the fact that more people will buy a less quality item because it’s cheaper than there are people who pay more for better quality items. If you have ever seen guns for sale on the secondary market, it’s easier to see. Post a highpoint for sale and post a staccato for sale. You’ll have 100 messages about the highpoint for every 1 about the staccato even though the staccato is clearly a far superior product.

Boolit Buddy
    I put one in one of my 10/22's quite a while ago, gets used a lot and has worked out well for me. I was at a cabelas, and tried every trigger on the rack, and bought the best feeling one. I agree with others, this is the trigger that should come on the rifle.
    Barry

Boolit Master
    As long as you never shoot a Kidd two stage in a 10/22 you'll be just fine. If you do, get ready to spend more money!

Boolit Master
    I purchased two of the BX's and one wonders why they did not come that way to begin with. Replaced an early alloy and a later, both were almost pushing 7 lbs. and the two new were under 2.5. Think I may look into swapping new guts back into early alloy housing just cause. Maybe they will come out with a BX chamber insert to fill up those way to big chamber dimensions!

Moderator Emeritus

I just spoke with Ruger today about the BX polymer housing. I asked the question if the plastic was the same polymer was the same as used in their pistols and I was assured that it was and that it was just as strong....I have two of their pistols and the polymer has held up well so I am ok with this setup; however, i would have been happier with a metal housing and like Gtek if necessary I might consider taking the guts from the BX assembly and try to put into the old metal assembly.....inquiring minds do want to know!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Yup, but the same thing can be said for a $800 basic AR with a milspec trigger. The factory trigger meets the needs of thousands of customers. If you want something a little better you pa a little more. If you want something a lot better then you pay considerably more. Works that way with lots of things.

I just put one in a 10-22 I've had for about ten years but never used. I don't know what the problem is with paying to improve a trigger. ALL Ruger firearms need trigger work. I have installed aftermarket triggers in M77'S and have paid to have revolver ttriggers improved. Did the same on a Marlin 1894C. Also installed Timneys on Rem 700's. I like a nice trigger.

Jim

Boolit Master
    I've built a few clones of 10-22 Rugers. I machined the receivers, make my own barrels, stocks, scope mounts, etc. On this last rifle I used a factory trigger group for reliability testing and basic sight in. I was getting a few stovepipe jams and the factory trigger was like two rocks grinding over each other. After testing I replaced the extractor with an aftermarket one with a sharper claw, and that cleared up the extraction problem. I swapped out the trigger group for a BX trigger and the difference was night and day. The BX was so much smoother and lighter. Group size shrank by half after the BX trigger was installed. I took this rifle hunting in April and it dusted off well over 100 ground squirrels.

I've done accurizing modifications on half a dozen 10-22 trigger groups. All the hand fitting, adding of features, and changing of springs & components, and these modified trigger groups are only marginally better than the BX trigger that anyone can just buy. Just a thumbs up for those that express a desire to put BX parts into an older aluminum 10-22 trigger housing: when Ruger went to the polymer housing they changed some of the internal components in the trigger group. The older aluminum trigger uses a different style hammer that has a pair of disc's on either side of it. I'm not saying that the BX components won't work (I haven't tried it myself), just advising that some of the parts are different in the old aluminum triggers.
    Attachment 314534

Quote Originally Posted by txbirdman View Post
    Yup, but the same thing can be said for a $800 basic AR with a milspec trigger. The factory trigger meets the needs of thousands of customers. If you want something a little better you pa a little more. If you want something a lot better then you pay considerably more. Works that way with lots of things.
    Like guns, cars, women. Lol

Boolit Master

Why would Ruger put the BX trigger in a 10-22 when they can sell all the 10-22's they can produce and then later on sell the owners who want a better trigger a BX and make even more money. Its called "revenue inhancement" and it works quite well. The after market sales are booming right now and proves just how well its works. my .02 anyway, james

Boolit Master

My 1967 Ruger 10/22 has a serial# that falls in the first 100K produced. Bought used in 1972 for 60 bucks. After a gazillion rounds fired a few years ago I took a deep breath and pony'ed up for the Volquarton trigger. Accuracy came back immediate for me. It had gotten quite gritty. Changed a couple springs previous also. The thing is, the BX trigger did not exist yet when I put in the high dollar trigger. I could have bought 3 BX's. It has a picatinny rail now with a compact red dot. I ring my 3" steel hangers with ease at 80 yards. But if I ever get another it will be BX for me.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

I've got to get one for my 22 charger. I think factory trigger must be 10 pounds.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I must have hit on a good scratch off, my new charger came out of the box at 2.9. I moved it to 2K vintage and put new BX in at 2.2.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    As long as you never shoot a Kidd two stage in a 10/22 you'll be just fine. If you do, get ready to spend more money!
    Agree 100%. I love my Kidd triggers.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

It's my opinion that the current 10/22s are not nearly as nice as the older ones, including in the area of trigger pull.

I have a 1983 era Deluxe 10/22 sporter. Way back, I did just a little polishing and stoning, and ended up with a nice 4 lb trigger pull. Only recently did I decide I wanted something a little bit better because I started group shooting. I initially put a BX unit in. While it did indeed pull lighter, at about 3.5 lb, I never cared for the plastic parts. The "feel" was spongy. I subsequently bought some Power Custom drop in parts for my old metal factory unit, and now I have a 3.25 trigger that "feels" like I want it to. I'm not saying the BX is no good, and in a current production 10/22 they are a substantial improvement over what you get from the factory. It just didn't work out for me.

I believe all the current 10/22s have the plastic triggerguard housing. I haven’t heard of any problems with them. That said, I have sent a trigger to Brimstone to work their magic on, and I feel that it’s a better solution, and less expensive, too.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast