Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Browning BLR vs Marlin 1895?

The more I handle the BLR the less it appeals to me. Perhaps the lightweight would be a positive if I were trekking over hill and dale for deer or elk, but it just does not seem solid. I think the idea of an 1886 clone is a better fit for what I'm looking for.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Thing is, these days it's no problem to find a bolt gun that weighs the same or less than the BLR. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Browning and lever action fan but based on my experience I won't be getting another one.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    No way would i own a BLR. Borrowed one for a few months and it was ok, didn’t float my boat. Had a mate with one that was a constant issue - horrible trigger that no smith would touch, timing issues on the stupidly complicated lever/rack system and I’ve never liked removable mags.

Marlin 1895 however is an absolute sweetheart

I pulled the bullets on some of the Armscor.308 rounds. They are loaded with 44 grains of a ball type powder. I downloaded them to 40, will see if that improves anything.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

The advantage of a BLR is if you are going to carry it in a saddle scabbard without a scope. Too old to ride a horse and can't see without a scope.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

I had a sow belly 358 BLR and it was the most finicky rifle I ever owned. Of course the bullet selection is a bit more limited for heavy 35 cal's and I was carrying it in Alaska at the time so I tried to get it to shoot 250's. Finally had to settle on Triple Shocks at 225 grs IIRC. My hunting bud has a 450 Marlin in a Marlin and it shoots pretty well with my 405 gr cast but he likes to run them wide open and his primer pockets are telling the tale now. Brass is about expensive as a small car and as hard to fine new as an honest politician! Stick with the 45/70 and a Marlin and you will not be sorry. My 2 cents.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    If yre gonna "target/plinking" with a 45/70 - ya need a ten pound gun to make it comfortable and fun - thats a full length octagonal barrel 1886

a 7.5 pound carbine will have you asking "why did I do this" after the first couple of outings....... how do I know this ?..............................
    Exactly right! I had a 45-70 Marlin carbine and after half a box of ammo sold it. It kicked like a mule. Seriously you want a heavy rifle for this cartridge. I can't imagine touching off a hotter version in a light rifle.

Boolit Master
    I've owned and shot 4 BLR's in .223, 270, .308, and 30-06. None had a good trigger pull. I agree that they are more fragile than a Marlin. These guns are very difficult to reassemble. You can work on your Marlin but not a BLR. A BLR serves very well the guy who hunts a few times a year.

I bought a 6.5 Creedmore BLR last summer. Got it as it had iron sights, and a great finish, and bright blueing. Well after getting it home, found out it had an aluminum receiver. Only place to get magazines is factory web site, $105.00 each, but free shipping. Then I got snap caps and loaded them in the magazine, and it will not feed. The last shell nose dives into the magazine. Called the repair center and have to deliver to a FFL dealer to ship in for repairs. A lot of work to get a new gun working. Keyman

Quote Originally Posted by lightload View Post
    A BLR serves very well the guy who hunts a few times a year.
    And, that would be my dad. I doubt he ever put more than a few rounds a year through it.

Boolit Buddy

Hey Goose: Stick with the 1895 Marlin in 45-70 My old 1895 has alot of blood on it. The Micro Groove rifling in my ole gun likes Speer Jacketed 400 gr freight trains! Drive them with Elmer Keith's old load: 53 grs of IMR 3031. Getting around 1800 fps. Shooting cast boolits requires I size my castings to .462 to get them to shoot well! You can always get 45-70 brass! 450 Marlin is like the rare element in Avaitar ! Unobtanium !!! Besided the Browning BLR is a homely duck!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12