Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browning BLR vs Marlin 1895?

Browning BLR vs Marlin 1895?

A question for those who have experience with these matters...

I have been looking at .45 cal lever rifles to be used for target/plinking. No plans as of yet to hunt with the rifle.
    I looked at a Browning BLR lightweight on 450 Marlin today, it seemed pretty impressive. Nice fit/finish, like other Miroku rifles I have looked at. The only Browning rifle I have owned is a BL-22, also very pleased with it.

How does the Browning chambered on 450 Marlin compare to Marlin 1895 SBL or Trapper in 45-70? I'm more familiar with Marlin Lever guns, I have a better idea of the quality and characteristics of them.

Thanks in advance,

Rusty

if comparing a browning repo 1886 and a marlin 1895, i would take the 1886. i just never warmed up to the browning blr,s./

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If you don't reload, skip the .450. For that matter, make sure that brass is obtainable first.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Yes the .450 Marlin is nothing but a belted .45-70 case. It was made that way so it couldn't be loaded into an earlier .45-70 gun that couldn't take the pressure generated by the factory loads that were specifically loaded to be on the hot side. Except Marlin Rifles have been shown to be up to the task if you must have something that powerful you can load .45-70 up as high as the .450 Marlin so what's the point?..

I never saw much point in the cartridge and apparently neither did the public. As Fergie said, "I'd skip the .450!" Pretty sure Ruger won't be making any either.

The cool thing about BLRs is that they are usually "Takedowns," and also they come in .358 Winchester.

My .02

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master
    The worst thing about the Browning in .450 Marlin would be the brass availability. IIRC the belt is significantly wider than "normal" belted brass, so it cant be chambered in any other smaller bore belted mag chamber. This makes it an orphan, i.e. you can not convert any other belted case to use if you can't find .450 Marlin brass.

On the other hand you can find .45-70 brass just about anywhere, at least in non panic times.

I've always kind of liked the BLR, but I have never bought one; usually a bit pricy for what I wanted. The box magazine may be better for range use than the tube mag of the Marlin.

Robert

The .450 Marlin cartridge is for folks who can't/won't handload a .45-70 to higher performance standards.

I tried one for a while in a new Winchester BigBore 94 Timber when it was first introduced, but soon went back to the more flexible .45-70
    Last edited by pietro; 05-15-2023 at 09:54 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    I like the Marlin and have had them for years. The BLR is well made, and elegant. I could just never get over the complexity of the geared lever, and possibly putting it back together wrong. I am not one of those guys that has to do a total tear down for cleaning. But I would like to be able to remove and replace the bolt once in a while. The BLR is just too intricate to make me feel comfortable.

Moderator Emeritus

I Love my BLR's and have had no issues, other than a broken firing pin in 2002. I would do a hard pass on the 450 cartridge.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    The 450 Marlin cartridge is a problem, finding brass or cartridges can be/will be difficult. My experience with multiple BLR's - lousy triggers, very difficult to take apart/reassemble, inertia firing pin will freeze and fail in cold wet conditions, like carrying a disco ball in the woods, must run 'wet', that is lots of oil, just not a 'backcountry' gun like the Marlin 1895 or the 1886 Winchester or its clones. I have carried the Marlin 1895 45-70 for many, many trips in rough country and bad weather with total dependability.

This is exactly why I ask for your guys' input, excellent informed points! Thanks very much for the replies.
    The BLR Lightweight felt good in the hands, but of course I could only give it a cursory glance. Not like they you field strip them on the counter! It did seem awful light, I imagine recoil could be stout.

I am more familiar with Marlins, know them, trust them.

Rusty

I have an early 90's BLR .308. Excellent gun, but probably not up to rough handling. Recoil with even common factory ammo is brisk, and mine has the older steel receiver. The rack and pinion mechanism is fast but kind of delicate and not something I would want to mess with myself. Mine has a tight chamber and only likes factory ammo or brass which has only been fired in this particular rifle. Even an RCBS small base die doesn't always squeeze it down enough. A very knowledgeable gunsmith told me that the BLR needs a tight chamber to headspace properly, this is by design. I inherited my BLR so I don't have anything in it, but don't think I would buy another one unless it was giveaway cheap. Oh yeah: factory mags for the late model BLR are like $80 bux each. If your rifle uses the older sowbelly type they will set you back 3-4 times that much if you can even find any.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

The .450 Marlin could have been the .458 American.,… but Marlin’s lawyers were afraid that Bubba(s) would drop one in a ( insert smaller caliber belted magnum rifle here) and all hell would break loose when the trigger gets pulled.
    The taller belt was a great idea and a bad idea at the same time.
    The only real advantage of the .450 Marlin was that it would work perfectly in bolt actions also- but no one else thought so- including Marlin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Goose View Post
    A question for those who have experience with these matters...

I have been looking at .45 cal lever rifles to be used for target/plinking. No plans as of yet to hunt with the rifle.
    I looked at a Browning BLR lightweight on 450 Marlin today, it seemed pretty impressive. Nice fit/finish, like other Miroku rifles I have looked at. The only Browning rifle I have owned is a BL-22, also very pleased with it.

How does the Browning chambered on 450 Marlin compare to Marlin 1895 SBL or Trapper in 45-70? I'm more familiar with Marlin Lever guns, I have a better idea of the quality and characteristics of them.

Thanks in advance,

Rusty
    If yre gonna "target/plinking" with a 45/70 - ya need a ten pound gun to make it comfortable and fun - thats a full length octagonal barrel 1886

a 7.5 pound carbine will have you asking "why did I do this" after the first couple of outings....... how do I know this ?..............................

Boolit Master
    As a reloader and bullet caster, you can make most any rifle comfortable and fun to shoot, lighter bullets and less powder. My light Marlin 45-70 is an absolute beast with my elk hunting loads, 300 grains at 2200 fps, but 250-300 grain bullets at 1000-1400fps are not unpleasant. I put a soft recoil pad on any rifle that kicks more than a .223, including 30-30's and .243's, I want to enjoy shooting, not prove how tough I am (been there, done that). I do not worry about hurting 'resale' value with a recoil pad unless it is some rare AND PRISTINE older firearm.

Boolit Master
    The .45-70 can be loaded to original factory ballistics & is fun to shoot there. I have loaded it to 1100fps with jacketed & cast 405gr bullets & that is fun. You can go considerably faster if you need.
    Don’t forget the Henry rifle either.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    If yre gonna "target/plinking" with a 45/70 - ya need a ten pound gun to make it comfortable and fun - thats a full length octagonal barrel 1886

a 7.5 pound carbine will have you asking "why did I do this" after the first couple of outings....... how do I know this ?..............................
    My Henry single shot really likes 12.8 grains Unique under a 292 grain Lyman. Lotsa fun and should kill anything in this state at reasonable range.

Boolit Man
    My JM Guide Gun is a is a powderpuff with 350 grain cast boolits at about 1000 fps, almost no recoil, yet it will go through both shoulders of a deer. Accurate at 100 yards.

I would only be interested in a BLR for high pressure cartridges. I have been watching for one in 7mm Remington Magnum.

Dad is going to trade me a cherry 336 for the BLR. He only uses factory ammo so it will be just fine for him. Actually, dad bought it new around 1991 and later gave it to me to prevent a psycho ex-wife from taking it. I prefer my Savage .308 anyway, and I'm always up for adding another dirty thirty to my battery!

Boolit Master
    I regularly shoot 350 gr cast ahead of 15 gr of Unique, shoots great, kills deer cleanly out to 120 yds, as far as I have shot at one. Kicks like a 223 in my 1895 22" barrel Marlin, it has a 3/8 hard rubber pad, no pain at all. Every deer I have shot with this load has dropped on the spot. I hunt with a 350 gr Gould/Lyman hollowpoint and plink with a 350 gr Lee. I shoot 4x6" steel plates from 100-150 yds as clangers, off hand and off the bench, with no notice of recoil, and dang accurate.

The BLR can be problematic even with some factory ammo. I gave mine some exercise yesterday with Armscor factory .308 ammo with 147 grain FMJ slugs. They shoot well, but have super sticky extraction and flattened primers. I was letting the barrel cool for several minutes between shots. I suspect this ammo is a bit on the hot side, and that's all it takes get sticky. For someone who doesn't reload and will never fire anything other than commercial hunting ammo (Dad) I don't think this would be an issue. For a reloader who doesn't have time to endlessly experiment to figure out what works, I would skip the BLR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast