RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Urban Progressive Reloading

Urban Progressive Reloading

i used to have a redding turret and i could really whip out 9mm i also had a powder bridging incident i didnt catch....hence the introduction of squibs....i ended up spraying about 5K of them thru a MPA ingram. anyway i like to handle the cartridges between stations for irregularites...a freind & myself pool our equipment.. now is the time to meet not fed regular guys who load

press it an pass it.....requires 3 for speed...its actually like the I Love Lucy on the candy line lameshow. get more presses

Boolit Master

thats the same idea i use for swaging, its such a pain to reset dies i invested it several presses and have a production line, only i do it all myself
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    thats the same idea i use for swaging, its such a pain to reset dies i invested it several presses and have a production line, only i do it all myself
    its an economical classy way to do things plus you get to collect presses any press you get for 25 bucks isnt losing value & will go up..plus you can leave them to yer urban freinds.and dont get things all messed up when you croak

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by reloader X View Post
    i used to have a redding turret and i could really whip out 9mm i also had a powder bridging incident i didnt catch....hence the introduction of squibs....i ended up spraying about 5K of them thru a MPA ingram. anyway i like to handle the cartridges between stations for irregularites...a freind & myself pool our equipment.. now is the time to meet not fed regular guys who load

Albeit I have and use progressives, I "interrupt" their sequences by, for one, having powder measure drop "light" -- after which I remove case and trickle up to exact desired weight -- then put case back in for bullet seating and crimping... and... this works! In a way, not much different than you are. If it works (for you!) keep on doing as you are.
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    If it works (for you!) keep on doing as you are.
    geo
    i intend to......feast yer eyes on a cast iron powder funnel...a Lachmiller that some dope twisted thru the setscrew...can use as a funnel until i get it fixed..could get neon plexiglas tubing cheaper than clear hence the space age look....i like these you can see the charge before you drop it & trickle up thru the slot..

Boolit Grand Master
    IIRC, that Lucy episode did not end well...LOL.

If your way works for you, that is all that matters....to you.

I could cut my lawn with a push mower but use a zero turn.

As to safety/quality, I have loaded about 500k rounds and have never had a double charge. IMO a good progressive is less likely to have a problem like that, at least for me. It seems counterintuitive. But loading pistol ammunition that has a lot of unused case volume on a single stage is more likely to cause an issue. Easy to double charge and not notice it. Just speculating, but most people loading on a single stage turn out less than 150 rounds at a time and can stay focused. When loading for hours at a stretch, it is easy to lose attention to details.

The last time I loaded pistol ammunition on a single stage press was 50 years ago. I could not afford anything better. I doubt I will ever do it again. There are better tools. Today, there are good progressives that are affordable.
    Don Verna

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I'm not going to say one way or the other but I've spent many many hours when it was too hot or too cold running brass prep . I ran over 1000 45 ACP during Indy one time size/decap and flair . Over a week of evening TV last summer I ran 660 45 AR complete from new to me to canned for range days . All on a single stage , all one step per evening. It took 2 for size/decap but I had interruptions and needed an accurate count. My Uniflows drop inside a 1/10 when I do my part and I charge 50 at a time for pistols . Takes about 20 minutes to finish a box .

I'd buy a Camdex if I just wanted crank out a gazillion rounds and keep hoppers full .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

well they all need the same number of handle pulls

Boolit Grand Master
    To fit in this forum, you would need a line of 310 Tools and/or Lee Loaders to do each step progressively… perhaps it would fit better in the Reloading Equipment Forum?

Rather than using a progressive press (or presses) I much prefer to batch process all of my brass, one step at a time, first decapping and sizing a bunch of cases with a carbide die, then hand priming them all, then… well, you get it. Anyway, I’m sure progressive presses have their place somewhere. A progressive set of presses as seen in this thread may have its attraction, but it sure takes up a lot of bench space. Anyway, I guess it comes down to “Different strokes for different folks” perhaps even on different forums.

Green Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    For pistol I like the one handle pull one loaded round. A turret press would do the same as several presses in a row and require a lot less brass handling and use a lot less bench space. However, we all have methods that work for us so keep on cranking out loads with what ever works for you.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    To fit in this forum, you would need a line of 310 Tools and/or Lee Loaders to do each step progressively… perhaps it would fit better in the Reloading Equipment Forum?

Rather than using a progressive press (or presses) I much prefer to batch process all of my brass, one step at a time, first decapping and sizing a bunch of cases with a carbide die, then hand priming them all, then… well, you get it. Anyway, I’m sure progressive presses have their place somewhere. A progressive set of presses as seen in this thread may have its attraction, but it sure takes up a lot of bench space. Anyway, I guess it comes down to “Different strokes for different folks” perhaps even on different forums.

Green Frog
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    For pistol I like the one handle pull one loaded round. A turret press would do the same as several presses in a row and require a lot less brass handling and use a lot less bench space. However, we all have methods that work for us so keep on cranking out loads with what ever works for you.
    I'm retired, thus I have way more time than money. I also shoot a lot less than I used to thanks to component cost and health issues.

I do a combination of these two; I normally batch prep cases up until the powder charging step then I do however many I have powder and projectiles for.

I do like a turret press for when I am doing load development; it is nice to be able to have a number of dies all adjusted and ready to go, but I tend to use it as a single stage no turning of the head and completely loading one round at a time.

My latest project (a .30 BR) has me using a combination of Lyman 310 small handles and .308 Winchester dies for decapping and neck sizing, a .30 short M-die, priming is done with an RCBS hand priming tool, and finally a modified RCBS .308Win seating die. If it all works out I may spend the big bucks and get a for real set of custom dies to form and load on a single stage press, maybe not either.

Robert