Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullet Comparison APP, Samples WANTED.

Bullet Comparison Website, Samples WANTED.

I am compiling an inventory of cast bullets for a web app I'm working on. It will offer measurements, weight, and picture comparison of bullets to help with load development and also just as a fun reference. Also I will include variation samples and info when I have them. My site will be free for all, and will be useful for load development or comparison of cast bullets.

I am asking for bullet samples of any and all calibers to help me compile this data. I need the bullets to be presented to me with as much information as possible. This includes, but is not limited to, bullet number and name, any markings on the mould, Approximate or exact date year of mould if known, alloy. I need these samples to be in the raw. That means not lubed or sized or powder coated. I am glad to accept a sample size of 1 or up to as many as you wish to send. I want variations, so if you have a couple 429421 moulds that cast differently, please include both, with as many of these details as possible. Each needs to be separated in a baggy or envelope to keep from being damaged in transit and storage. I want both home cast and commercial cast samples. For commercial cast bullets, obviously I can't get them raw so I'll accept what I can get, but I need the info associated with them such as model and make.

Also, if no detailed info is there, but you just have the mould number or make or any info, that is also accepted, and will be used as well. Just write a note with the info you DO have.

In my own journey, I have resorted to actually obtaining a physical sample of many similar bullets and using those bullets to obtain measurements for "used case volume" in order to use known data for load work up when using a bullet for which no specific data exists.

My example of how my compilation will be useful; I had a Lee 358-140-SWC and I wanted to use that for both 38 special and 357 magnum. For 38 special, it was quite simple, I just substituted the bullet for a similar looking bullet of similar weight in the Lyman manual. Because the working pressure limit was a fair amount above the target loads I was developing there was a large margin of error for safety. But for 357 magnum using W296 powder, the margin of error was decreased significantly. I was quite uncomfortable just making a simple bullet substitution. I was able to obtain several samples of similar bullets however for a direct comparison. The RCBS 38-150-SWC has nearly an identical measurement from the base to the crimp groove, and being just a touch heavier, I was comfortable using the data for load development.

If you'd like to help, please message me and I will provide my shipping address for samples.

Thank you for your help in this endeavor. I will link to the website and data when it becomes available.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 03-08-2023 at 10:00 AM.

wow dude AWESOME idea, Ive been really needing this actually

Bullets I have examples of so far are

RCBS 44-250-K (x2)
    RCBS 44-245-SWC
    RCBS 44-240-SWC
    RCBS 38-150-SWC
    RCBS 45-201-SWC
    RCBS 45-200-SWC
    RCBS 44-200-FN
    RCBS 32-170-FN
    RCBS 44-250-SWC

Lyman 319295
    Lyman 311284
    Lyman 429421 Round groove
    Lyman 31141
    Lyman 358429
    Lyman 321297
    Lyman 358156

Lee TLC324-170-RF Ranchdog
    Lee C432-265-RF Ranchdog
    Lee 429-240-2R
    Lee 429-200-RF
    Lee TL430-240-SWC
    Lee C358-158-SWC
    Lee 311-93-1R
    Lee 356-102-1R
    Lee TL452-230-2R
    Lee Tl452-230-TC

MP 432-256 (H&G 503)

Of course I would like to have a couple variations of each, but 1 of each is much better than none.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 03-07-2023 at 12:09 AM.

One of the main things I want is samples of all of Lymans, RCBS and LEEs offerings so that I can make a cross reference chart for bullets that will help people that use LEE bullets work up data.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    One of the main things I want is samples of all of Lymans, RCBS and LEEs offerings so that I can make a cross reference chart for bullets that will help people that use LEE bullets work up data.
    Are you also interested in custom designs that are not necessarily available to the public? I was just discussing in another thread a 7.62x25 mold I had custom made, and how I had thought about sending some examples to Mihec to see if he was interested in eventually doing a run on it. I haven't made up my mind to do that. But it is a good example of a 90gr .311 RF that I had made for me custom by Mountain Molds back in 2010.

If you are, PM me, and I can send you some along with the mold markings, and reasons for my design.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2728.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	311312
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    Multiple samples from each mold is a good idea, and would be an interesting data point to see in your end result. I have two .45 ACP 230 grain molds from a reputable outfit, one mold produces 240 grain boolits and the other 230 grain boolits.
    Total length of the bullet and COAL (or just base of bullet to crimp location/groove) would be helpful data. Reporting variances across multiple samples would be helpful here as well.
    Gordon’s Reloading Tool has bullet lengths for a large number of lead & j-word rounds, which I have used to conjure loss just like you described. It’s a free software, but I haven’t found it to be very reliable and I have some distrust even for the reported bullet lengths. At any rate, I can share data from GRT and send you some bullets & boolits.
    I wonder if Quick Load reports bullet lengths?

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Are you also interested in custom designs that are not necessarily available to the public? I was just discussing in another thread a 7.62x25 mold I had custom made, and how I had thought about sending some examples to Mihec to see if he was interested in eventually doing a run on it. I haven't made up my mind to do that. But it is a good example of a 90gr .311 RF that I had made for me custom by Mountain Molds back in 2010.

If you are, PM me, and I can send you some along with the mold markings, and reasons for my design.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2728.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	311312
    Interesting design, I sent you a PM.

I'm getting some good help so far, I still need most of the LEE bullets if someone could help with that.

I have about 200 samples in the works as of now. I still need most of lymans, lees, and RCBS, and Saeco too. So if anyone could help me with a large chunk of the samples please let me know.

Boolit Master
    Bazoo,

I can also provide a few Lyman, Lee, H&G and NOE / MP. Here is what I have, you tell me if you need any of them.

Lyman 358477
    Lyman 358429
    Lyman 358156
    Lyman 358495
    Lyman 358242 (both 92gr and 120gr variants)
    Lyman 311359
    Lyman 358311 (2 versions - Different Lube Grooves)
    Lee TL358-158-SWC
    Lee TL356-124-2R
    Lee 452-228-1R
    Lee C312-185-1R
    Lee #4 Buckshot Mold
    NOE 452-230-HP
    NOE 225-62-RN (Early .223 Specific Mold)
    MP357-125-HP with both HP pins and Solid
    H&G #50

I might have some more, I'd have to take a look. But that is what I know I have on had at this time.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Bazoo,

I can also provide a few Lyman, Lee, H&G and NOE / MP. Here is what I have, you tell me if you need any of them.

Lyman 358477
    Lyman 358429
    Lyman 358156
    Lyman 358495
    Lyman 358242 (both 92gr and 120gr variants)
    Lyman 311359
    Lyman 358311 (2 versions - Different Lube Grooves)
    Lee TL358-158-SWC
    Lee TL356-124-2R
    Lee 452-228-1R
    Lee C312-185-1R
    Lee #4 Buckshot Mold
    NOE 452-230-HP
    NOE 225-62-RN (Early .223 Specific Mold)
    MP357-125-HP with both HP pins and Solid
    H&G #50

I might have some more, I'd have to take a look. But that is what I know I have on had at this time.
    Really I'd like to have a sample of all of those. I do have a sample of the 358429 but its of unknown origin. Also that is one of the numbers I do want to catalog the variations. I have a 358156 but it came from a mould that had been lapped and dropped like .362, and the grooves are a mite shallow. The buckshot mould, I would like to have them still connected if its not inconvenient. I will add a picture of that, then separate and weigh an individual pellet to catalog the weight. Man its sweet you have the 358242 in both weights. That was one I figured I'd have a hard time chasing down.

Boolit Master
    Really I'd like to have a sample of all of those. I do have a sample of the 358429 but its of unknown origin. Also that is one of the numbers I do want to catalog the variations. I have a 358156 but it came from a mould that had been lapped and dropped like .362, and the grooves are a mite shallow. The buckshot mould, I would like to have them still connected if its not inconvenient. I will add a picture of that, then separate and weigh an individual pellet to catalog the weight. Man its sweet you have the 358242 in both weights. That was one I figured I'd have a hard time chasing down.
    I'll get them sent out with the other we discussed. However, it may take a little time to get all examples cast up.... As for the 358242, there is also a 3rd variation. Good luck finding a copy though. It's the 358212. It's basically the same design, but a 147gr round nose with two lube grooves. I've only seen a handful of examples. I'm looking at trying to eventually add one of those to my collection of molds.

I'll get them sent out with the other we discussed. However, it may take a little time to get all examples cast up.... As for the 358242, there is also a 3rd variation. Good luck finding a copy though. It's the 358212. It's basically the same design, but a 147gr round nose with two lube grooves. I've only seen a handful of examples. I'm looking at trying to eventually add one of those to my collection of molds.
    I appreciate the help. I'm in no hurry. I actually had a copy of the 358212 and sold it. It didn't cross my mind to save one of them. I didn't know it was rare at the time.

Looks like I offered it on the PIF. I couldn't remember anything other than having had one.

Found this with a google search.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...8212&p=4956710

Boolit Master
    Looks like I offered it on the PIF. I couldn't remember anything other than having had one.

Found this with a google search.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...8212&p=4956710
    There are several molds I've had my eyes on over the years. But, their limited numbers just go to show that some designs are just not super common for a variety of factors. Either lack of people owning compatible firearms, design problems, or just weirdness.... I generally think the 358212 falls into that category. It was just oddball enough to fall between common bullet weights with a length that wasn't suitable in certain firearms....

Boolit Master
    Share a drawing of the dimensions you are collecting on each bullet. We can give you our measurements with the samples, and then you can remeasure to confirm.

Bazoo,
    I can supply samples of Lee bullets;
    C225-55 Bator
    C277-135F
    C309-113F
    TL314-90swc
    C309-200
    CLH324-175
    8mmMax
    C358-200RF
    358-105SWC
    358-150SWC
    379-250F
    TL401-175TC
    452-200SWC
    It’s supposed to rain tomorrow so that will help me cast some naked bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Bazoo,
    I can supply samples of Lee bullets;
    C225-55 Bator
    C277-135F
    C309-113F
    TL314-90swc
    C309-200
    CLH324-175
    8mmMax
    C358-200RF
    358-105SWC
    358-150SWC
    379-250F
    TL401-175TC
    452-200SWC
    It’s supposed to rain tomorrow so that will help me cast some naked bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That will be awesome! Thank you sir. I will send you a Message.

I've got a lot of help so far. I still need most of the Lee bullets if anyone has a large block of them. I appreciate all the help I've received thus far, thank you.

Boolit Buddy milsurpcollector1970's Avatar
    I have the Lyman 314299 bullet which is an excellent boolit do you want any?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast