Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .416 accuracy woes

Boolit Bub

.416 accuracy woes

I need some ideas on how to proceed. I cast a bunch of boolits for my .416 Ruger Alaskan. My boolits are gas checked 350 grainers from an NOE mould. The weight variation is quite low for a beginner. Boolits are water dropped and sized to .417. Using W-748 for powder, weighed each charge. I beat myself up shooting 25 of these beauties at the range. This load doesn't kick like jacketed bullet loads but it's no cup cake either. I didn't get anything you could call a group. Boolits landed everywhere except in the vicinity of each other. This rifle will shoot Swift A-frames into an inch and a half at 100 yards all day. Any ideas? I am an experienced shooter and handloader but new to casting.
    Thanks,
    Howard (planeguy)

Boolit Master

There many many variables that go in to getting a good cast load. The place to start is to slug your bore. .417 may be just what you need but you will probably need at least .418. All the following will affect the accuracy once you find the right diameter bullet. The bullet weight, the powder type, the amount of powder, the lube you use or powder coating, gas checked or not, the over all length of your bullets. A small change in powder charge can really change the size of your groups. Good luck with your efforts.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    good evening;

shooting both 375Wby & 375h&h rifles but hate recoil. both rifles were bought to shoot only cast at paper.

suggest think slow, suggest think Red Dot powder, suggest think 5744 if you can find it, or imr 3031 with a filler. suggestions worked wonders with recoil and accuracy in both rifles. slow = 1400 -1950 fps.

rp

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman's CBH #4 has Ruger 416 loads using a 350 gr cast bullet including with 748. You don't mention the load of 748 you're using?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

I presume that there is absolutely NO copper fouling in the barrel. I've had pretty good success in my 375 H&H and 458 WM using Unique (love that stuff).
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Bub
    I am using loads from the Lyman book 65 gr. of 748 is the last one I tried. I'm not sensitive to recoil, looking for hunting loads not just paper punching. However, enough .416 shooting will wear on you.
    Haven't has this much trouble with accuracy since I started working with a Ruger no.1 in .257 wby.

Boolit Bub
    I started this process by doing a thorough cleaning of the bore including copper removal so I dont think that's a problem. Bullet lube is canuba red.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I suspect your bullets are undersized.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by Planeguy View Post
    ... looking for hunting loads not just paper punching. . . .
    If by this you mean you're planning to hunt African dangerous game or brown bears with hard cast bullets, then by all means continue experimenting until you have what you need. But if you are hunting deer, you can drop the muzzle velocity to a comfortable level and still have plenty of power. Softer bullets might be appropriate too.

Boolit Bub
    I will slug the bore and see where that leads. My goal is African game but thats a couple years away. Still planning everything out. With the state the world is in who knows if it will be doable. I hunt hogs with the .416 just to be intimately familiar with its ways when the time comes. Shooting at the range is no substitute for real world hunting practice in my book.

Howard

Boolit Grand Master

Size the bullets to a tight slip fit in the chamber throat not barrel groove diameter.

What GCs?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    I'm using Gator gas checks

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I will slug the bore and see where that leads. My goal is African game but thats a couple years away. Still planning everything out. With the state the world is in who knows if it will be doable. I hunt hogs with the .416 just to be intimately familiar with its ways when the time comes. Shooting at the range is no substitute for real world hunting practice in my book.

Howard
    You want a bullet diameter that will slip into a fired case with a slight bit of resistance. That will fit the throat.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    Thank you for that tip

Boolit Grand Master

Let me rephrase the question, what size GCs as in diameter and thickness?
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    I guess I bought a sack of .416 gas checks from NOE that are Gator brand. I didn't think to measure them

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I bought a sack of .416 gas checks from NOE that are Gator brand. I didn't think to measure them
    Do they fit the bullet shank and size to .417?
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    They seem to fit the bullet shank. I have no problem running them through a lube/size die and they have a slightly swaged appearanceas though they are sizing correctly. I found a fired boolit in the sand berm at the range. Gas check still in place so I'm thinkinking they crimp on well.

Boolit Bub
    I tried a sized boolit in an unsized, fired case. It took a bit of force to get the boolit into the case, but it went with hand pressure.

Boolit Grand Master

I am using loads from the Lyman book 65 gr. of 748 is the last one I tried. I'm not sensitive to recoil, looking for hunting loads not just paper punching. However, enough .416 shooting will wear on you.
    Haven't has this much trouble with accuracy since I started working with a Ruger no.1 in .257 wby.
    GCs, lube and sizing should not be the problem. Suggest dropping down to 60 gr of 748 to see if accuracy improves around 2000 fps. If so you can work up until just before accuracy goes south. If that doesn't work, I'd look at a different powder, an extruded powder such as IMR 4895. Might keep in mind a 350 gr .416 caliber bullet at 2000 fps or more isn't exactly for "paper punching". It'll kill anything on this continent.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast