Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: removing geese

Boolit Master

removing geese

i spread bird seed on flat stones in my back yard. there is a pair of canada geese from a neighbors pond that i cannot discourage from staying away. using a 22 cal blank gun. dosen't work on them anymore. i chase them and they will stay 20-30 feet in front of me. they have no fear. short of death; any advice?? was thinking about a air soft gun. besides eating the birdseed they crap everywhere

Boolit Master
    in addition to my above thread; i don't know anything about airsoft guns. don't want to spend a lot, if it won't deter the geese with the "sting" of the projectile. does it sting? does it have a 30 ft. + range? any advice about the guns??

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Mine field?
    Known traffic menace

Sure Sir it sounds that you may need a daisy slingshot.

With the Daisy slingshot the world is your ammunition. Personally I prefer to shoot things like pots and pans with 50 caliber lead balls and 73 caliber lead balls and if I was in the business of killing things I would do the same.

I can tell you for a fact that gummy bears , cat food, acorns, coins, gravel, whatever you've got laying around out of a slingshot will convince animals to leave the yard.

You could tie up a one quart walmart saucepan on a piece of string and shoot at the cookware with powder coated lead ball and maybe the noise would scare the heck out of them make them go away???

Maybe set a Bluetooth speaker out on the patio and see what kind of music the birds don't like??

They are like flying rats, once you have them they can't be discouraged unless you sick the dog on them every day or they migrate. Then they will be back next year only with their family. If you get lucky some one gets them during hunting season. If they are there year around then rename them Cousin Eddy.

Out here they tend to commit suicide and have to be buried very early in the morning before the neighbors are awake.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Rubber snake?
    I wonder if they’d go over a 2 or 3 wire fence made of monofilament?

Being protected I don’t think you can go so far as to shoot them even with airsoft.

Boolit Buddy
    Border Collie. The US Government/National Park Service uses Border Collies to keep geese off the Reflecting Pool at the National Mall. Airports and various cities use them too. Legal and effective. And the Border Collies love it.

Several videos on Youtube.
    Last edited by Buzz Krumhunger; 05-18-2023 at 06:56 AM.

They tried rubber coyotes on the base ball fields around here. It worked for about 2 weeks but after that they would land and be all around the decoys. The parks dept even tried moving them to different parts of the fields. Nope, did no fool the geese. The they tried spraying cougar pee on the field, it just added flavor to the grass as they still flocked into the field daily.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Remember if you shoot em, only shoot one of the pair...they mate for life

Just kidding!
    Known traffic menace

Boolit Master
    Sss
    East Tennessee

Pest elimination is the only answer. Smoked goose is pretty good.

Boolit Master

We hang the bird feeders on Shepard's hooks.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Get an eagle. PCP air rifle would be cheaper and more selective.

Boolit Master
    Geese can be disgusting.
    If 22 blanks won't deter them, try 22 shorts.
    Seriously, I like the sling shot idea, although I don't think I'd shoot anything at them that they can eat. No point in rewarding bad behavior.

Boolit Master

Me, I would try Tannerite, maybe 5 or so pounds of it. Should do the trick. If you got a fishing net you might be able to catch some of the pieces when they come back down. Well I think you get the idea!
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Man

Geese can be tough... you've got limited options if they're nesting on your neighbor's property. While susceptible to hazing, often times they'll just get used to whatever it is and without lethal reinforcement, you're not going to see any difference. Until that point, you can try ye olde dog tennis ball launcher, jet garden hoses, air horns if blanks aren't working, smacking them with a broom if they get up close. Also may be worthwhile reaching out to your local USFW office, they may grant permits to addle eggs for the landowner or other depredation permits to allow take out of season depending on your specific situation and may be able to provide you with other avenues. Another alternative is to actively avoid mowing a strip of lawn between your property and the neighbor, while this pair may be educated to the food source, your "next time" geese are lazy and will avoid thick tall grasses and early scrub in favor of mowed areas.

Just remember, at the end of the day, it's a goose. They can bruise you with a bite, but it's 15 pound bird if it's been packing down all your seed, don't let 'em back you down in your yard.

Moderator Emeritus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

i encourage them to stay around, make enough off hunting fees to more than pay my property taxes, but they aint in my front yard either
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast