Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me Ruger

New to me Ruger

Well I just made my month (heck, probably the year) by finding a Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt.

I've wanted to replace my old one that had to be sold many years ago but with the toilet paper pandemic we all know what happened to revolvers...

Well I was visiting a local candy shop and found an old model Blackhawk stainless Bisley with the 45 acp cylinder included.

The gun is everything I want, stainless so less worries about rust and scratches, it's got the bigger cylinder (which is why I call it "old model) and adjustable sights with a 5.5" barrel.

The only thing I need to fix is the sights, I'm going to paint the front and back (outline).

This is available from RSR Distribution and I found it locally for 999 with another shop at 1099.

Terrible price but of course it's a lifetime investment.

I guess I'm crowing a little bit, I'm just tickled to have found one. This will be my "go-to" for almost everything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RUG00472_1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	313909
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Boolit Master

That's a really nice look'n piece. Congratulations.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Nice score! I have one like it except mine is a 41 mag.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Nice. Mine has a 3 3/4” barrel.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6C1053E9-3C81-4E97-BACE-C8C863E382E4.jpg 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	313913
    Last edited by waco; 05-13-2023 at 01:07 PM.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    Waco: How does that short one shoot? There's one for sale locally with both cylinders. I've got the 5.5 In Blackhawk Bisley, and the 5.5" Bisley New Vaquero stainless. GF

Boolit Buddy
    If you want it and can afford it, buy it. You never pay too much, just too soon and who knows what tomorrow will bring. ENJOY!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    Waco: How does that short one shoot? There's one for sale locally with both cylinders. I've got the 5.5 In Blackhawk Bisley, and the 5.5" Bisley New Vaquero stainless. GF
    Shoots quite well. It packs very nicely. Shoots great with both cylinders. It is my first Bisley revolver.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

Nice find. Go ahead and crow.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

I've got a 7.5" old model Bisley in 45 Colt that I bought in the '90's, had the cylinders opened to .4525, I love it and have killed a few deer, a rabbit, and several armadillo, and 1 squirrel with it. I don't have a 45 ACP cylinder with mine. But I had to scope it (old eyes).

Boolit Master
    Good catch, congratulations.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Buddy

Enjoy! There's a lot to like about the old .45 Colt.

I get it. I've paid more for gun that it was supposedly worth. It was worth it to me. Enjoy it.

As this is the first brand new gun I've ever purchased I was worried about buyer's remorse but the more I think about it the more I love it.

I was able to shoot it a bit the other day and with 8.5 grains of "Flaming Dirt" and my cast Keith boolit it was spot on and accurate, right out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    Nice score! I have one like it except mine is a 41 mag.
    Wheelguns is that a Simply Rugged holster? I take it you like it? I've been eyeballing those for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by dddddmorgan View Post
    Wheelguns is that a Simply Rugged holster? I take it you like it? I've been eyeballing those for some time.
    Yes that is a Simply Rugged holster made to fit the red dot. It also has a chesty puller chest rig on it. I am not real crazy about the chest rig, but the holster is great. I now use it with a belt, cross draw for hunting.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dddddmorgan View Post
    Well I just made my month (heck, probably the year) by finding a Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt.

I've wanted to replace my old one that had to be sold many years ago but with the toilet paper pandemic we all know what happened to revolvers...

Well I was visiting a local candy shop and found an old model Blackhawk stainless Bisley with the 45 acp cylinder included.

The gun is everything I want, stainless so less worries about rust and scratches, it's got the bigger cylinder (which is why I call it "old model) and adjustable sights with a 5.5" barrel.

The only thing I need to fix is the sights, I'm going to paint the front and back (outline).

This is available from RSR Distribution and I found it locally for 999 with another shop at 1099.

Terrible price but of course it's a lifetime investment.

I guess I'm crowing a little bit, I'm just tickled to have found one. This will be my "go-to" for almost everything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RUG00472_1.jpg 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	313909
    MUCH! congratulations on your find/purchase! I have been wanting one of these for years, and chanced into a similar (NOT really ) -- blackhawk in JUST .45 Colt. One thing I noticed right off the bat is the knuckle of my middle finger is close enough to back of trigger guard to actually whap me (technical term) with each shot. YOURS -- the Bisley model -- surely seems to have more space here, which is awesome! (I put a band-aid atop my knuckle before range shooting -- helps immensely!) I like, too, yours having the .45ACP cylinder; still another "plus"!
    Again, congrats, and I hope you get lots of enjoyment with it!

I enjoy my Pietta revolver in 45 colt but it never goes above the gentle-low pressure loads (even though it can go higher), the Bisley grip is the only one IMHO for accuracy work and for comfort with higher pressure loads.

Banner Sponsor

Congrats on the revolver.
    I have a 5.5" Bisley in 45colt, but mine does not have the acp cylinder.
    Brownells carries different height front sight blades if you need one.

Boolit Master
    KUDOS on a FINE handgun purchase. I'm sure you'll get a lot of joy out of it.

Lest you confuse the newer folks about Rugers,, let's correct a bit of terminology.
    There are no "old model" Ruger's in stainless, nor in the Bisley configuration. An "Old Model" is one built prior to 1973,, and has a 3-screw action design,, vs the 2-pin type. And the "new models" all have the "safety transfer bar" installed. And all Blackhawks like that have the same sized cylinder. Only the "New Vaquero's" or the Flat Tops" which are built on a medium frame are a bit different.

PS; I have one of those that's also a convertible. They are FINE guns!

Boolit Buddy
    Nice gun . I have one but it is not a bisley nor has the acp cylinder. Still a good revolver and i would like to try a bisley.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast