Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My brother passed away yesterday at 62

Sad to watch folks do that to themselves and to their family, for a fact. Not one thing you can do to help, unless they want to climb that mountain, themselves. Unfortunately, watched it many times over the years.

A fellow once told me how to quit smoking, put an open pack of cigarettes in you front shirt pocket, then never smoke another cigarette, it is then your will not the crutch of not having one to smoke. Exactly like having a "quit" bottle on the shelf, put the date on it, and never open it.

I think most of us have lost friends or family to the bottle, it is a tough loss. My grandfather was killed by a car one night, while carrying his beer across a highway in the dark.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Condolences and prayers.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks folks. I remember what it was like growing up with a drunk Father. Getting beatings, the passing out, etc.. Think you go either way when you get older; either say gonna break those chains and change or drown yourself in the booze. I quit back in April 1987 after putting my hand through a small window in a door. Said enough, knew I was getting married soon and swore my kids would never have to see that. Funny how my brother never did. He never beat his kids but all those disappointments and lost time. His son, who is also former Marine and a police officer, found him as they were checking on him daily. Folks say hereditary, in your genes, etc, but a lot is your mental attitude. Luckily my kids don't drink except occasionally like a normal person. For some, you can't stop at one or two. I also inherited my Mom's allergic reaction to something in the alcohol. I started getting massive hangovers which made my decision to quit a lot easier. He is in a better place which is what matters. Thanks again.
    Ron

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Very sorry to hear of this loss. My great grandfather drowned in a shallow creek while drunk. I definitely had a drinking problem in my 20's. Drank at least a six pack a night and got really grouchy if I didn't get my hopes and barley pacifier. Never drove drunk or skipped work, just drank way too much and was dependent on it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

My condolences for your loss.

Ron, my father gave up the bottle in his sixties, and for the first time ever, I actually got to know him. Three years later, he died of pancreatic cancer, no doubt brought on by excessive alcohol consumption.

I hope that sometime in your brother's sobriety, the two of you managed to get to know each other. May the peace of Christ be with you.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master
    Condolences for the loss of your brother. A sad and familiar story for those who abuse alcohol. Sad for them & sad for those who love them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    My brother passed away yesterday at 62 years old. We were 11 months apart and never really close. He was an alcoholic like my Father was (he basically quit a bit to late but he did) and a few other family members. I stopped drinking back in '87 as I saw what it does having grown up with it. He left behind two grown kids and a grandkid. What a waste. Heart of gold but the alcohol had him. He only drank beer so that was OK accordingto him. Started out as a joke at 7am with beer in the coffee cup. He did construction, as did most of my family, which added physical pain to the equation. Lost his drivers license a long time ago due to to many dui's. Folks if you drink to much, please cut back. Both for yourselves and others around you.

He is I a better place without the pain. God bless and rest in peace Bobby.
    Ron
    Sorry for your loss. My Grandfather marched onto Normandy at Omaha then walked across France into Germany. Tough son of a gun that survived the Great Depression but when he got back beer did him in like your brother. Not sure if it was what he saw or genetics but my father, mother and aunt were all alcoholics.

I feel your pain on this. I like the taste of microbrews but not enough to let it destroy my life. There are many not in the same boat and just can't help themselves but there is nothing you can do for them.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Sorry for your loss. My Grandfather marched onto Normandy at Omaha then walked across France into Germany. Tough son of a gun that survived the Great Depression but when he got back beer did him in like your brother. Not sure if it was what he saw or genetics but my father, mother and aunt were all alcoholics.

I feel your pain on this. I like the taste of microbrews but not enough to let it destroy my life. There are many not in the same boat and just can't help themselves but there is nothing you can do for them.
    Jon, I think you confirmed the genetic connection. It is a genetic weakness, and I believe the researchers are thinking it is an interaction between three genes, but the family connection is undeniable. My statement to those who accepted the diagnosis was "It's not your fault, it is your responsibility". That is, if the cause is fundamentally genetic then there is no fault or blame attached. But then it becomes their responsibility to choose not to drink. If the alcoholic removes alcohol from their lives, there is no evidence of the problem. Then it becomes the challenge to educate their children, who have never experienced the horror of an alcoholic parent but still probably carry the gene.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Prayers lifted for the family and my condolences for your loss. It’s a tough thing to witness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

So sorry for your loss, may your brother rest well…
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Banned

hands down the deadliest drug in the world. not only the most dangerous but the drug that destroys more people, marriages and families yet they sell it where you pump the gas into your vehicle so you can conveniently pick up a bottle for the ride

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    hands down the deadliest drug in the world. not only the most dangerous but the drug that destroys more people, marriages and families yet they sell it where you pump the gas into your vehicle so you can conveniently pick up a bottle for the ride
    This 100%. Don't know what the answer is, or if even such a thing is possible. I will say this, I firmly believe the drinking age of 21 in the USA does way more harm than good.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

told my ma once back when i was drinking and doing drugs when she asked my what the most powerful drug i ever took was and i told her a bottle of jack danials

Sad to hear you lost a brother. We only get a few of those. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Jon, I think you confirmed the genetic connection. It is a genetic weakness, and I believe the researchers are thinking it is an interaction between three genes, but the family connection is undeniable. My statement to those who accepted the diagnosis was "It's not your fault, it is your responsibility". That is, if the cause is fundamentally genetic then there is no fault or blame attached. But then it becomes their responsibility to choose not to drink.
    This is an excellent way of looking at a variety of problems in life. I have made some bad decisions that I think were mostly caused by things that were not my fault. I'm responsible for the bad decisions (and paid for them dearly), at the same time I don't think I would have made those bad decisions if not for circumstances beyond my control. Ida know, that's just what makes sense to me.

All I can say is, "Thank you Lord, for Your mercy, grace, and forgiveness. Amen."
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

So sorry for your loss.

I lost my older brother at the end of 2020. He had similar struggles.

Prayers for you and family.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Prayers sent

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks folks. The thoughts and prayers are appreciated.
    Ron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12